"Secret" customizations or standard options for 2016 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
"Secret" customizations or standard options for 2016 21'

After spending time looking through the forum, I have found many options that we would like to add. I would have not known about them otherwise. After contacting ETI about options we would like to add, we are told some are not available.
1. We wanted vertical brake lights because we plan to carry bikes. When we were told they were not available for the 21. we did more research and it appears there are brake lights above the window? Is this a standard option?
2 Also, we would like a switch at the door frame to turn on interior lights when we enter the trailer. We were told that switch would only turn on the porch light.
Anyway, sometimes I feel like I am ordering from the secret menu at In-and-Out! I don't want to miss out on something good
I enjoy reading your ideas for options,
I would like to hear your suggestions
Thank you
Mary
Build sheet due December 15
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The upper lights were standard on my 2014 - 21.

I had door switches configured to turn on 1 overhead interior light, 1 for the porch light, and 1 for the exterior added lights (one over the front storage box and 1 over the drivers side above the dump piping.) There was an extra charge for the two I added.
Attached Thumbnails
wk2 072.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Hi, Mary!

The 21' does not get vertical lights because the standard lights are three big ones that go across the top (plus the others down below.) Those lights do not fit on a 19'. The light situation is different for different models according to what fits. The 21' is considered well covered.

You should be able to pay for another switch to turn on an interior light. The porch switch is separate. Think I know one person who has a switch that turns on all of the inside lights. We have no such switches but probably should have gotten one. What you can do instead is to leave a night light or two on inside -- but, yes, they will no doubt do another switch for you. Our extra switches are for exterior lights that we provided.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a second switch in my door frame that turns on one of the internal lights.

The answers received from ETI that contradict the "availability" of certain items may in some cases be the result of new hires who may, shall I say, lack experience. ETI is expanding and this is one of the problems of hiring new people. Reace and Tammy have the final say on whether or not ETI will do something, not their "support" staff. Sometimes it is better to ask questions from those with more authority.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The top switch turns on the main interior light, middle the porch light and the bottom the exterior lights. I had an LED porch light added to the rear of the trailer above the spare tire. All done during the build. There was an upcharge. Worth it to me!
Attached Thumbnails
DoorJamSwitches.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lots of potential options for both Escape to do, and for the owner to do afterwards.

One of the biggest problems with the unlisted factory options, is the time required to do them. While Escape can charge what it is worth to do these additional options, which the owner is usually glad to pay, it becomes a matter of them having the time to do them. They have a certain window of time to put the trailer through production before they need to start another one, or they would get behind in the schedule.

Certain options make the most sense for Escape to do, especially if it is something like wiring behind finished walls, but I intend to make many of the modifications myself once I get my 5.0, though I realize not everyone wants to do them themselves.

I like to remind folks, that even with the most basic of options, you will still get a trailer that will provide you with great comfort, while building lots of great memories. This other stuff is fluff, but sure can be lots of fun planning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The upper lights were standard on my 2014 - 21.

I had door switches configured to turn on 1 overhead interior light, 1 for the porch light, and 1 for the exterior added lights (one over the front storage box and 1 over the drivers side above the dump piping.) There was an extra charge for the two I added.
Ditto a year later, except we just added the switch for the overhead interior light (giving us 2 switches at the door: one for the "porch" light and one for the overhead). Yes, there was an upcharge, but we thought it worth it. And we use that interior switch more than the exterior one... so far!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
And we use that interior switch more than the exterior one... so far!
I could see that. There is usually more than enough light outside to find the trailer, and once we get to the trailer, there is no longer any need for using the porch light. But entering, I certainly would like a switch handy by the door. In 2009, they never added these switches, and we had to go in and find a light to turn on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We got two switches at the door during our build, one for the exterior lights (all three tied together), and one for the interior central hall light. Use both of them extensively.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have one switch for the porch light and one for the middle overhead light. I tried to get a switch for the over head light that is over the bed, but Escape said they didn't want to do that.

If I remember correctly, the 17b came with a switch that controlled one of the overhead lights. I don't remember if it was an option or just standard equipment.

Jim's point about each of these "secret" customizations taking time is a good one. I expect that as Escape ramps up production, it will be more difficult for them to do off-menu options and maintain their production schedule. But even if they just maintain the current option list, it would be way more flexibility than other trailers we looked at before purchasing our first Escape. And like Jim says, " even with the most basic of options, you will still get a trailer that will provide you with great comfort, while building lots of great memories. This other stuff is fluff".
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Too many switches. If you can't see inside when returning at night why not just leave one light on when you leave the trailer? They are all LED's right?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I'm just not in the habit of leaving on a light when it's daylight outside. I suppose I could learn new ways of doing things...

The Casita had a light just inside the door, which was great for coming in after dark. We never left it on because it wasn't all that useful, otherwise. I like that the Escape switch turns on the overhead light... but of course you must be sure the rocker switch on the fixture is in the "on" position for the wall switch to work.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
but of course you must be sure the rocker switch on the fixture is in the "on" position for the wall switch to work.
I would be tempted to just short out the switch on the fixture, allowing it to only be switched at the door, unless you had an extra wire installed, and turned it into a 3-way switch. I plan to do that with one of the loft lights, so we can switch in on at the steps, and off when in bed.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We would leave a light on in the 17b if we were coming back after dark. LED can burn all night and won't even dent the batteries. Like Mary says it's a new habit. Adding a switch at build would probably be the way to go.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Another option is that there several interesting looking 12v/battery motion detecting LED solutions out there.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Another option is that there several interesting looking 12v/battery motion detecting LED solutions out there.
You would still have to switch these, as you sure wouldn't want them coming on during the night with every movement.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Jim Bennett... Here's a switch. We have a digi voltage readout plugged into the receptacle at the door. Same blue light as the radio dial and acts as a great night light. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It seems you can get a switch for one interior light from what has been said, only one, not all. It would be a good thing to have. We have little night lights we can use.

I don't think there was incorrect information given in this case. The question seemed to be whether a light can be added to the porch light switch. It cannot, at least, they do not do that. They put in a separate switch for another light, for whatever reason.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of potential options for both Escape to do, and for the owner to do afterwards.

One of the biggest problems with the unlisted factory options, is the time required to do them. While Escape can charge what it is worth to do these additional options, which the owner is usually glad to pay, it becomes a matter of them having the time to do them. They have a certain window of time to put the trailer through production before they need to start another one, or they would get behind in the schedule.

Certain options make the most sense for Escape to do, especially if it is something like wiring behind finished walls, but I intend to make many of the modifications myself once I get my 5.0, though I realize not everyone wants to do them themselves.

I like to remind folks, that even with the most basic of options, you will still get a trailer that will provide you with great comfort, while building lots of great memories. This other stuff is fluff, but sure can be lots of fun planning.
Jim,
I am amazed that ETI even entertains as many customizations as they do. With limited production space and increased demand they are trying very hard to find ways to speed up production. Accommodating customer requests is part of the attraction but also can inhibit throughput. I think they also get new features standardized based on customer requests so like most other things it is a "Question of Balance" (old Moody Blues fan).

My build sheet is not due til July 2016. I can do some things myself after I get my 21, but I am mostly concerned with things that I cannot do or ETI can do in production that would be more economical. I am coming from tent camping so anything will be an improvement. I appreciate people like yourself on this forum with experience willing to comment and help out. It has helped me.

Those of us here planning the perfect (optimal) trailer have to remember that "Rational Men Satisfice" and you will never get the perfect trailer because that will be built the year after next
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing
But according to the Rolling Stones "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you might find. You get what you need."

In the meantime I will ignore my own advice and pursue perfection
Old 11-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Of the two switches that we have by the door, one controls the entrance light and the other is for the exterior light mounted low on the left side of the trailer. I have not seen anyone else mention this light. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote