Securing bikes on Swagman XC2-RV2 rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Securing bikes on Swagman XC2-RV2 rack

I am looking at ordering this Swagman bike rack. It is definitely RV rated, which was the key for me. I've read good reviews, but I need some help. How would you suggest I secure my bikes on this rack? I have a Kryptonite bike lock and matching 4' cable, plus a slew of locks. I'm just paranoid about theft because, basically, I hate thieves and I'm suspicious of everyone. Just sayin'.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had that same rack and hated it and sent it back- after it rubbed the paint paint off my bike frames where the hook clamps down. And the hook is a major PITA to release once you have it clamped down. So the larger issue in my mind is the rack. Spring for a 1UP- then use a cable lock.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have one I pad my bike so it doesn't rub I have had no issues with it I use a bike chain /lock to secure. Definitely could cut my chain not the best but good enough for me. My bikes are not that expensive but I too do not like the idea of them being stolen.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too had that rack. It wore paint of my cross bar. A buddy following me once said it was bouncing like crazy. Went to the 1UP rack 4 years ago and personally would not now consider another. Built strong, engineered great and super easy to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Covering bikes

I think that covering the bikes significantly enhances the theft deturance. Without removing the cover a thief does not know what type of bikes they are or how they are locked. I have mine covered all the time with a Formosa Cover from Amazon. It was not cheep. However the less expensive solution, which I used initially, is to only cover them when stopped.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Isn't that 9ne a bumper mount? keep in mind Escapes have a smaller bumper then most. Swagman sells a hitch pin lock with about 6' cable that I use on my hitch mounted Swagman.

Mine rubbed off paint too, but the bikes are pretty old and dinged up so it wasn't a big deal. I've since started to use a chunk of pool noodle over the bars.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I think that covering the bikes significantly enhances the theft deturance. Without removing the cover a thief does not know what type of bikes they are or how they are locked. I have mine covered all the time with a Formosa Cover from Amazon. It was not cheep. However the less expensive solution, which I used initially, is to only cover them when stopped.
After checking yours out I bought one. My first concern was keeping them clean, but I can see it as a they deterrent too. Hopefully it attaches well to the tracks mounted on my storage box, as it seems to wrap under the rack.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
After checking yours out I bought one. My first concern was keeping them clean, but I can see it as a they deterrent too. Hopefully it attaches well to the tracks mounted on my storage box, as it seems to wrap under the rack.
The Formosa bike cover does wrap under the rack and zip closed from either end. You may have to mount snaps or velcro to attach the bottom to your storage box.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
The Formosa bike cover does wrap under the rack and zip closed from either end. You may have to mount snaps or velcro to attach the bottom to your storage box.
I better make sure I check that out and adapt it before taking off next time, thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
I am looking at ordering this Swagman bike rack. It is definitely RV rated, which was the key for me. I've read good reviews, but I need some help. How would you suggest I secure my bikes on this rack? I have a Kryptonite bike lock and matching 4' cable, plus a slew of locks. I'm just paranoid about theft because, basically, I hate thieves and I'm suspicious of everyone. Just sayin'.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
I have been using that rack for a few years now and am very happy. A few things to think about:
1.Get the swagman hitch lock. Not only does it lock the rack to the hitch but it also makes it much more rigid of a mount.
2.the hook does do some rubbing so protect your bike if that is important to you.
3. to release the hooks you really need to push hard...if you have weak hands this might not be for you
4. I use a cable lock around the bumper and through the bike frames to lock it up.
5. it is waaay cheaper to buy and is still good quality! Go to etrailer for a good price.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Amazon's price is the same as etrailer and from personal experience Amazon is much better handling any problems that may arise, especially if you are a Prime member. As I said I sent mine back and Amazon paid the freight and even the restock fee is often waived. With etrailer you are always paying the freight back except if the item arrives defective.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Love my 1UP dual bike rack, but bikes do get dirty on gravel roads. Noting Jim Bennett's comments also: would the Formosa cover fit over small frame hybrid bikes on the 1UP snugly enough to have it on while traveling? And is there a specific cover model or size to be ordered?
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Love my 1UP dual bike rack, but bikes do get dirty on gravel roads. Noting Jim Bennett's comments also: would the Formosa cover fit over small frame hybrid bikes on the 1UP snugly enough to have it on while traveling? And is there a specific cover model or size to be ordered?
I am not sure what your hybrid bike looks like. With a mountain bike and a cruiser there is a bit of extra canvas even with straps snug. Several bunge cords crisscrossed and wrapped tightens all and the Formosa dual bike cover rides great.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote