Securing hitch to truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2023, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Securing hitch to truck

I'm looking for a way to add additional security to my hitch to truck. I have a locking pin but use a pry bar and the lock can be easily popped off the pin (Trust me, I know) I also have the u-bolt device to remove the play between the hitch and receiver but all that requires is a 3/4 wrench to back the nuts off a turn or so.

I've had one Equlizer hitch stolen and those things ain't cheap. I rarely unhitch when on a fishing trip but this summer I want to head up the 'Great River Road' trip. I will probably want to unhitch at some places to look around a bit and would rather leave the hitch on the truck. It's gets heavier every day.

I've sat and looked at it and can't come up with any ideas. I don't want to drill any more holes.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm sure you'll agree that a motivated and determined bad actor can steal anything, at best you're looking for a better deterrent.

Having said that, and agreeing based on experience that the common locking pins are relatively easy to defeat with applied force (I 'popped' one off for a friend who lost the keys), I note this is now available:

https://www.provenlocks.com/products...lock-model-hl1

Nope, I've no idea if it's actually any more resistant to 'forced removal' than other less expensive alternatives.

Maybe someday the folks at Ft Knox Locks will come up with a truly hard-core receiver lock.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I bought a Proven Lock for the trailer and am looking for a good security device for the hitch as well.

A handy friend with good welding skills suggested adding a few small tack welds to the basic pin and then grinding them off when I didn't need the hitch on.

Sounded dumb at first but now it has me wondering. Especially for those site seeing days.
Attached Thumbnails
weld.jpeg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’d not want to travel with my welder, grinder and a Gen set big enough to run my welder. Plus the time and noise while traveling.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I bought a Proven Lock for the trailer and am looking for a good security device for the hitch as well.

A handy friend with good welding skills suggested adding a few small tack welds to the basic pin and then grinding them off when I didn't need the hitch on.

Sounded dumb at first but now it has me wondering. Especially for those site seeing days.
I sorta like the weld idea. I talked to our shop guy and he said it would take him 10 min. Kind of a permanent solution. I can't think of a reason I would absolutely need to remove the hitch away from home.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Rather then weld the hitch to the receiver where you would have to grind / cut out the weld.

Could you weld a loop to the reviewer and one to the hitch so you could add an extra lock?
Maybe a set up to use a puck lock that is harder to cut off.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It would seem to me that rather than welding the hitch to the truck, if the key hole on the locking pin points outward, the easy solution would be to have a piece of heavy pipe welded to both sides around the receiver’s holes which would deny access with a pry bar but would allow use of the locking pin providing easy removal of the hitch should it be needed.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It would seem to me that rather than welding the hitch to the truck, if the key hole on the locking pin points outward, the easy solution would be to have a piece of heavy pipe welded to both sides around the receiver’s holes which would deny access with a pry bar but would allow use of the locking pin providing easy removal of the hitch should it be needed.

There's a thoughtful notion, IMO.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:50 AM   #9

Our shop guy got back to me on a solution. He will weld a piece of square 2" steel tube over the pin hole on the receiver. When the pin is inserted it will be centered in the tube. Pop the lock on pin and it will be fully enclosed in the tube.

I like it!