Security systems - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonm3394 View Post
To answer questions about the incident:

It happened at the Fallon, NV Walmart; I called the police and they arrested the person.
Good that he was caught.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
More often than not drugs were probably involved and why would a sane person break into a trailer attached to a vehicle is beyond belief, thus common sense is not involved, just a drug induced high. The fact that the open window is a sign of entrance is the message we do not wish to send.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
To answer questions about the incident:

It happened at the Fallon, NV Walmart; I called the police and they arrested the person.
That is great that they caught the guy. Do you have any suspicions on his motivation?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #44

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Although a very unfortunate incident, I suspect this is a unusual situation and like Jim I wont get to caught up in security.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I recently had a very scary situation where someone tried to break into my Escape (while I was in it at 4am). I was parked in a Walmart parking lot within a few feet of 3 other rv's. Before I go on my next trip I want to have a security system installed. Any suggestions? (Please don't say a dog...mine slept through the entire incident!)
Sharon, you have not said how. Tried to open the door and it was locked? Did you have an outside light on? I don't know how long you have been using a trailer but I would not stay at a Walmart unless absolutely necessary and only with others who it seems would be helpful nearby. You see lots of men saying how they stay at them or anywhere, and no problem. Women live in a different world and many men will not get that. You found that even with others there, you had such an occurence.

Campgrounds are far safer, not that you can ignore safety considerations. Walmarts, rest areas and such are frequented by people that you will just about never see in a campground, especially when there are often hosts or rangers patrolling the grounds. You are basically on your own at non-campground sites. Something awful can happen at either but I believe it would be much less likely at a campground.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #46

Her was her response when I raised the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Sharon, you have not said how.
Quote:
The person tried to pry the front window rock guard cover open, tried the door, then stuck their hand up between the screen and glass of the window I had open (thoughts of a scene from The Walking Dead!). Fortunately, no damage was done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #47

I missed that or forgot. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #48

I usually just look for a quiet residential street, or a field approach on an out of the way rural road, or something similar. I have never had to use something like a Walmart parking lot, but probably would if I was in a place where searching something else out would take too much time. I always thought that they were deemed relatively safe, as they are usually lit, and often have security people and cameras about. Is this not the case?
Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #49

They are frequented by people who are just not seen at campgrounds, to have a problem in the first place. Campgrounds generally tend to not be in heavily trafficked areas although some are.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 17B
The first thing I saw when crossing the border into Nevada from California was a sign that read:

Crack cocaine kills. Stop the addiction.

At the time, I made note of it, and thought that was a strange welcoming to the state.

After the incident in Fallon, it explained everything.
sharonm3394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #51

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We've stayed at a few WM's without any real security issues. I have been awoken during the night by my wife when others pulled up nearby or she heard sounds that worried her. Out I went looking for the bad guys, no problems, mostly trucks, many making deliveries, some catching some sleep, some just sit there idling. Then there is parking lot maintenance/cleaning that seems to kick off around 2am after all the deliveries are done. In most cases we were not the only other RV there.

We've determined that we'll only use them as a last resort, far too many interruptions during the night to get much sleep. They are noisy busy places.
I'm sure had we had an experience like Sharon, it would be the end of them.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We've stayed at a number of them. Never had any problems, usually there are other RV's there. There was only one place in Virginia that we weren't comfortable in, I would suggest if it doesn't "feel right" - your instincts are telling you something, so it's best not to stay. I agree with Bob, they are noisy and lots of light......we stay there when we just need to get "some" sleep, campgrounds in some areas are not conveniently located, they're a ways off the main road, that's when we look to use them, and we usually check online to see what others are saying.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #53

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We stay at the one frequently in Bellingham (with LOTS of other BC travellers) it makes sense when I get off work at 2315 to cross the border then rather than wait until the two hour lineups in the morning... I now have black out curtains to help with the bright lights in the parking lot. Lots of BC RV stay there all weekend to get their 48 hours in--We just use it as a first night getaway for our holiday. Costco the next morning for gas and hit the I-5!
Worst sleep was at a rest area as a refrigerated truck had its motor running all night long--even my earplugs didn't help.
One night in Tillamook we were at a Safeway in our Boler and a bunch of kids came by and started rocking it--needless to say we were out of there pretty darn quick. Stayed at a pulloff aways down the road..

But good idea about the key fob...I'll make sure it is near by..
Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Happened to go to Princess Auto and saw two interesting items.

One was a joggers alarm worn like an ipod nano.

Another was a black box with 12v power for four independent devices ... With the mother of all key fobs included in the box.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I'm thinking that this is the ticket (I have a friend who has it on his F250 dualie TV)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice set of air horns, of course you will need a source of compressed air available to operate while parked. I imagine they are powerful enough to blow leaves or snow if mounted low enough... imagine the look on the person's face sitting in a vehicle in front of you, thinking a train was behind them...cool.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Securing storage areas. This topic came up on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

We know there's like... five keys made for all the keylocks for storage areas (baggage doors). Some hatches (like the one put into the dinette area of ETI's bigger trailers) are really large. Do you think it possible... even if not improbable, that someone would use a master key on a hatch to get inside your trailer. Like when it's stored not at your house.

I only mention it because this popped up in that Facebook thread: http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850...nated+Cam+Lock

Provided just for your consideration and discussion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Securing storage areas. This topic came up on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

We know there's like... five keys made for all the keylocks for storage areas (baggage doors). Some hatches (like the one put into the dinette area of ETI's bigger trailers) are really large. Do you think it possible... even if not improbable, that someone would use a master key on a hatch to get inside your trailer. Like when it's stored not at your house.

I only mention it because this popped up in that Facebook thread: http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850...nated+Cam+Lock

Provided just for your consideration and discussion.
Yes, it's pretty simple to get into a trailer. The locks are very low grade and easily picked - you wouldn't need a master key. The locks stop the casual thief, but not a skilled one.

The key to any security system is layering. Lighting, visibility, locks, gates, etc. A layered system is harder to defeat, and thieves are generally going to look for an easier target.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In a storage area a broken window or screwed up door may garner attention. But if someone can crawl through a big enough hatch and open the door from the inside, they may have a field day with no one noticing for days or weeks. That's why I thought the device was interesting.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Those locks, and the one in my 17B, remind me of the ones on the lockers we were issued at work.
I didn't have my key with me one day, so I just gave the drawer a good hard yank, and it opened. Never bothered locking it after that.