Security systems - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't remember which rally it was, but someone didn't have their keys handy, so I just used mine to open their storage compartment. A bit of a surprised look on their face!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The other day when I was at ETI and about to open the door to show Tammy a mod that I'd done, I said "wait a sec. until I find my keys" and she said "no problem, I can open it, as long as the dead bolt isn't on", I have a pass key. So a good reason to use both locks. I always thought one of them was sort of redundant.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Somewhere here on the forum there was past advice not to use the deadbolt, unless you were inside the trailer.
Looking back, it may have been a lock issue dealt with by the Fastec recall.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Yes. I recently received and installed the replacement lock cylinders from Fastec. They work, but the deadbolt is still a bit sticky. I lubed it with graphite. I've decided that if I get locked out, I'll just go find a locksmith.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I don't remember which rally it was, but someone didn't have their keys handy, so I just used mine to open their storage compartment. A bit of a surprised look on their face!
There is one style of lock which is extremely common. The strange thing is that a huge fraction of them come with the same keying - the key is stamped "CH751". These are so common that the manufacturer put one of these on each set of keys for our motorhome... even though that key doesn't fit anything on the unit (there are no less than eight other keys). They must just automatically put that key with everything they build. I suppose it will be handy to help another camper someday, like Jon did.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #66

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The other day when I was at ETI and about to open the door to show Tammy a mod that I'd done, I said "wait a sec. until I find my keys" and she said "no problem, I can open it, as long as the dead bolt isn't on", I have a pass key. So a good reason to use both locks. I always thought one of them was sort of redundant.

Ron
At least FasTec locks are not all keyed alike. But like most lock manufacturers, FasTec will supply master keys to locksmiths and to those on a "need-to-have" basis. I didn't see it noted here, but Scamp owners all have a master key because the entry lock key is the same for every one currently being manufactured. And anyone can call the Scamp parts man and order a spare key.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There is one style of lock which is extremely common. The strange thing is that a huge fraction of them come with the same keying - the key is stamped "CH751". These are so common that the manufacturer put one of these on each set of keys for our motorhome... even though that key doesn't fit anything on the unit (there are no less than eight other keys). They must just automatically put that key with everything they build. I suppose it will be handy to help another camper someday, like Jon did.
I would recommend replacing all of your ch751 storage compartment locks with these, if you are concerned about it. They offer a fitment chart so it's easy to determine which ones you need:

Cam Locks, CH751 replacement locks, Replacement RV Locks

As for the entry locks, the electronic one offered here has been mentioned before. While it may provide better security, the main benefit is that when its locked the deadbolt is always engaged. Also, you can't accidentally lock yourself out, since its combo based:

http://www.rvlock.com
Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #68

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Both of my last two pickup truck camper shells came with CH751 keys, I would not use them to protect anything valuable.

To Sharon3394:
I am so sorry that this happened to you, I can only imagine how scary this must have been in the moment. You were so gracious to me when showing me your new trailer. But from that one meeting I could tell you are not the kind of woman to be scared off of what you want to do. Take the advice given in this thread and keen livin' your dream.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote