Seeking Info On Solar Panels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17' Escape
Seeking Info On Solar Panels

I am new to Escapes; mine is currently being manufactured. I am considering adding the option of a solar system including inverter. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions concerning how useful this option may be. Thanks Ken
wvmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had a 17B and knowing how the batteries are installed would advise getting the dual 6V option first of all. Our 17B didn't have solar and after 4 days we were getting down there(we almost never use hookups). When you're at 50% or less it takes a looong time to charge with shore power.

With the 21 we have a single 12V Group 29 and solar panel. That battery over the last 100 or so days of use since September is almost always at a full charge- and it seems the solar controller does a much more efficient job of charging in general than the trailer's house system does. For us the dual 6V would have been unnecessary, but for a 17 if you don't get them installed now it could be difficult later.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you always camp with hookups at full service campground they would be of limited use.

If you like to camp without hookups then solar and more battery storage may well be worth while. Adding the inverter in this case would allow somewhat limited use of 120vac appliances if you desire to use such. Some do, some don't.

If you are new to trailers and camping, spending the $ is not an issue, and have no idea how you might end up using the trailer, it might be a good idea to add them now. You can have such added later, but it's cleaner and easier to have it done now.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

Thanks padlin and Rossue

Thanks for your input. My 17 ' will have the 2 six volt batteries. I will be spending time "off Grid" (BLM and USFS Land) so thanks to your recommendations I will go with the optional solar power.

Thanks, Ken
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmtnman View Post
Thanks for your input. My 17 ' will have the 2 six volt batteries. I will be spending time "off Grid" (BLM and USFS Land) so thanks to your recommendations I will go with the optional solar power.

Thanks, Ken
Off grid makes solar a no-brainer. Between charging while towing and a 100 watt solar panel we never need shore power. But we have no need for AC since we camp little in Summer.

Congrats on your new trailer. John
Toymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
We have a new 17B. 6v batteries and solar. We rarely are on grid and seem to have lots of power. Our only inverter use is to charge small things like laptops and phones. We put in two DC receptacles and bought a 100w plug-in inverter at Canadian tire for $40. It has tow USB ports and one three pin ac port.
TheLonePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Thanks , that's good info! Ken