Selling to Long Distance Party with Transport Company Involved - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 1721
Selling to Long Distance Party with Transport Company Involved

In preparation for picking up our Escape in a few months (super excited), we're selling our Casita and the tentative buyer is about 1,000 miles away. He is buying sight unseen and is securing a transport company to deliver the Caista to his location. We’ve had a few conversations on the phone and I’m sending him a lot of pictures to document condition for both parties and so he has a better understanding of what he is purchasing.

Has anyone sold a trailer/vehicle via this method and have any advice?
  • Best payment method
  • Title and Bill of Sale transfer method
  • Working with a transfer company (he is securing)
  • Transfer of ownership timing (we’re expecting it will occur when the Casita leaves our property)
  • Other items to consider

Michael
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Michael, I've sold cars this way, so the principle is the same I guess.

In my case, I took a cashiers check from the buyer (the transport driver could deliver it I suppose), and handed the transport driver the title and bill of sale to deliver with the vehicle. Then, waved goodbye.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16
Congrats on your sale and purchase! We just bought an Escape 19 in much the same fashion. We sent a certified check although a wire transfer would have probably worked better (The check arrived a day late) The most important aspect in my opinion is the transfer of liability, after all you've already been paid. We filled out a detailed Bill of Sale and I had the rig fully insured prior to getting picked up.

I recommend that you either retain the license plate or have the transfer complete prior to shipping. In our case the seller left the plate on the trailer and in Florida we have a lot of "Toll by Plate," tolls that we will have to square up after the delivery. Not to focus on the negative, but you don't want your plate on the rig if it backs into a Porsche in the walmart parking lot. Still, most transfers go as planned and I'm sure yours, and mine, will as well.
Island Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Be careful. Some of these deals where they are having a transport company are frauds.

Get your money wire transfered and cleared up front. If they are not willing to do it be careful. You might want to speak with you banker.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
In preparation for picking up our Escape in a few months (super excited), we're selling our Casita and the tentative buyer is about 1,000 miles away. He is buying sight unseen and is securing a transport company to deliver the Caista to his location. We’ve had a few conversations on the phone and I’m sending him a lot of pictures to document condition for both parties and so he has a better understanding of what he is purchasing.

Has anyone sold a trailer/vehicle via this method and have any advice?
  • Best payment method
  • Title and Bill of Sale transfer method
  • Working with a transfer company (he is securing)
  • Transfer of ownership timing (we’re expecting it will occur when the Casita leaves our property)
  • Other items to consider

Michael
Hi Michael,

I'm not experienced in such transactions. However it seems to me that there are a number of potential problems in this transaction. I think if it were me, I'd want the new owner to fly in ( at his expense ) and inspect the trailer and together you and the new owner do your ownership transaction at that time. After all air fares are pretty cheap now a days ... and would be a very low percentage of a cost increase considering the total cost of the trailer plus the cost of the transport. Usually you can fly coast to coast for a couple hundred dollars.... if the 'new owner' would not want to do that, I'd find another buyer. This is a very good time of the year to be selling a trailer.

Tom
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I recently had a 2000 Toyota Tundra for sale on a car sales website. I got at least three scam communications wanting to purchase it. All wanted to have an inspector come by and "transport" the truck. Be careful.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The solution is quite simple. Use www.escrow.com. This is a service that was designed for all those purchasers on eBay motors. Those classic and collector cars, tractors and trucks are constantly crossing the country, this is the preferred method of payment.

The second important point for you to cover is an insistence on a carrier that has a DOT license. With that license should come a Bill of Lading and proof of insurance. You as the seller still hold title until delivery to the customer and his acceptance and as such it is your dollar in transit. This reduces the chances your trailer will be left on the roadside and clarifies who is responsible for damages. Do not rely on anyone's word that they have the license etc, make it clear to the buyer and review and copy (photograph) the paperwork at pickup.

A ball park price is $1.00 per mile. Will it be towed or flat bedded?

I do not have any affiliation with escrow.com but I came close to shipping using their service, the buyer had problems with condition # 2 above with a carrier he had selected. And rightly so.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Be careful. Some of these deals where they are having a transport company are frauds.
This was my first thought too. Not saying for sure this is one, but this is how most fraud scams are done. I have had these happen both buying and selling. Just make sure you dictate the terms of payment, because if they are fair and easy, the buyer should have no problem with them. Do not accept a cheque or money order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The solution is quite simple. Use www.escrow.com. This is a service that was designed for all those purchasers on eBay motors.
This is what I would do, as there are other escrow services that can easily be fraudulent. I know a few Canadians that bought and sold vehicles in the US this way and had no problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If I have a cashiers check or cash in hand before the trailer leaves, it's no problem.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #10

Thank you for all the information and recommendations. At this point the buyer is willing to wire the funds to my bank. Once funds are received and verified, my bank will manage the mailing of the title and Bill of Sale to the buyer. The transport company will then come and pickup the Casita a few days later and deliver to the buyer. I've removed my plate (as recommended) and noted in the Bill of Sale that the buyer is responsible for costs, insurance, and damage protection associated with the transport. I feel comfortable with the buyer, but today's world is not like it was years ago, so I'm trying to cover my bases.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
Thank you for all the information and recommendations. At this point the buyer is willing to wire the funds to my bank. Once funds are received and verified, my bank will manage the mailing of the title and Bill of Sale to the buyer. The transport company will then come and pickup the Casita a few days later and deliver to the buyer. I've removed my plate (as recommended) and noted in the Bill of Sale that the buyer is responsible for costs, insurance, and damage protection associated with the transport. I feel comfortable with the buyer, but today's world is not like it was years ago, so I'm trying to cover my bases.
Sounds like you have things well under control. I really hate that there are those scammers out there to worry about at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If I have a cashiers check or cash in hand before the trailer leaves, it's no problem.

Cash or a wire transfer is good. Cashiers Checks can be and sometimes are counterfeited. Unless I know the buyer, the only way I'd accept a cashier's check is if I am present at the buyer's bank while it is issued.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16
Sounds like you've got all your bases covered. Sometimes I wonder if todays world is all that different other than bad news spreads faster than good. Enjoy the Escape! My buyers pick up our Scamp tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting the new owners and showing them the ins and outs of our old rig. Thats the real downside of selling long distance...
Island Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Cash or a wire transfer is good. Cashiers Checks can be and sometimes are counterfeited. Unless I know the buyer, the only way I'd accept a cashier's check is if I am present at the buyer's bank while it is issued.
Just sold my F-350 today, took a $500 cash deposit to hold it, and will go to the bank with the buyer to pull a bank draft in my name. Going to the bank is always a great way to do it. Something I have done a few times before.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
F-350

Hi Jim:
Good to see you've come to your senses and sold that little 350. Now you can get that new F550 you need to pull your new 5.0 TA. The weight of those self installed improvements really added up didn't it. Get a dually for sure!
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #16

Wanted to provide an update.

The buyer paid for the Casita via a wire transfer and the title and bill of sale are now on their way to the buyer. The transport company is expected to pick up the Casita in two weeks. Fortunately, it's going on a flatbed trailer and not being towed. The NE roads are full of potholes this time of year.

We look forward to our many adventures in the Escape. Last May feels like a long time ago, so we are ready.

Michael
Old 04-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim:
Good to see you've come to your senses and sold that little 350. Now you can get that new F550 you need to pull your new 5.0 TA. The weight of those self installed improvements really added up didn't it. Get a dually for sure!
Dave
I don't know Dave, is the F550 dually is enough truck for a 5.0? I think Jim is leaning toward a Kenworth T680... With the sleeper cab, he'll still have a place to sleep when he's in the dog house....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim:
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I don't know Dave, is the F550 dually is enough truck for a 5.0? I think Jim is leaning toward a Kenworth T680... With the sleeper cab, he'll still have a place to sleep when he's in the dog house....
Go big, or go home! Am I not right?

Actually, my F150 is more than enough of a power house for my trailering needs.

I did just get back from a trip to the bank with the seller, where he go me a really nice bank draft. As a side trip I went and picked up money for the toolshed I had on it. More room in the drive, after I tow my daughters trailer to her house that is. Down to two motor vehicles (my F150 and my wife's Accord) and two trailers (my cargo trailer and the 5.0TA).

This is the first I have not had a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel in 25 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	23540
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Don't do it. It's my understanding cashiers checks can be cancelled up to several days later and wire transfers can be reversed for I think 24 hours.

I would not do this unless the buyer will be there in person or someone else can bring you cash. Scams like this involving transportation companies are very common. Look on-line for scams involving cashiers checks, paypal and wire transfers.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am guessing that he has talked to the buyer enough to not worry about it. We used a wire so as to avoid the bank draft problems, but we did not need to worry with the buyer we had. We were already doing a wire when we met him, so stayed with that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote