Servicing your Dexter Axle brakes or bearings - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Bob
Definitely that too. We used to pull a trailer with those little 8 or
10 inch wheels, I can’t remember.
But I know that rollout distance was a lot shorter than the 7.60 X 15 tires on the Buick tow vehicle. Must have spun them up pretty good. We always used that fiber wheel bearing grease, that stuff was pretty tacky but if you worked it Into that bearing cage it wouldn’t let you down.
Iowa Dave

Old 08-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #122

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Totally disagree. No comparison between modern automotive brakes and trailer brakes that haven't changed for many decades. From leaking rear seals- like we had at first inspect @ 1 year to a recent post re: stripped thread for castle nut....you disregard Dexter's maintenance schedule at your risk.

Also- if you burn a bearing and waste the spindle you have to replace the whole axle.
Ok, trailer brakes are pretty much exactly like drum brakes that have been on cars for decades. Mechanically activated by an electro magnet instead of a hydraulic cylinder, very similar to how the hand brake works. Pretty sure that there are still a few vehicles out there that have drum brakes on the rear. But weíre talking bearings here. The wheel bearings on your trailer are no different than a billion cars on the road right now. Tapered roller bearings where invented and proven long before I was born (long time ago) Iíve serviced hundreds and replaced quite a few. The bearings are plenty big enough and the wheels are sized so they are not spinning excessively fast, the weight of the trailer I donít see as excessive either, being supported by 8 bearings. Iím absolutely not recommending anyone disregard Dexters maintenance schedule, I just donít see the need. If you look at my earlier post you will see I disassembled mine and found grease had leaked past the seals, the hubs and bearings where full of clean grease and looked like they where done the day before. I happen to think the grease that leaked happened when the axels where greased at the factory by using a high pressure grease gun as opposed to hand packing. I packed the bearings, replaced the seals with OEM replacement seals and we will see what happens when I take it apart a year from now. I just wish I had taken it apart when I first got the trailer, that would have proven me either right or made my argument irrelevant. 😏 Weíll see.
🤔 You stated someone posted that they found a stripped castle nut? None of the Easy Lube axles Iíve seen even have a castle nut. But if indeed this was the case it kinda shows a pretty poor QC, no?

Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #123

Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Sorry, I meant spindle nut.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #124

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Totally disagree. No comparison between modern automotive brakes and trailer brakes that haven't changed for many decades. From leaking rear seals- like we had at first inspect @ 1 year to a recent post re: stripped thread for castle nut....you disregard Dexter's maintenance schedule at your risk.

Also- if you burn a bearing and waste the spindle you have to replace the whole axle.
OK, here is more of my perspective: First of all, my wife and I recently purchased a 2017 5.0 TA. This trailer was said to have been used only a few times. I seems to us it had never been used. Full LP tanks, remotes still in plastic, etc. Looks new in every way. I planned on checking the wheel bearings soon, but this thread moved it up on my to do list. My discovery follows.

Both LH brake seals had failed as well as one on the right. The grease was spun around on the hardware but did not get on the linings. The grease is super soupy, not good when combined with the EZ lube feature.

Now, consider this scenario: Suppose the original owner did not sell, but decided to use the unit for another season. Come spring he thinks it may be a good idea to pump some grease into the bearings. (He read posts from the misinformed and took it in line and sinker.) But guess what? This dude just bought himself a brake job! Maybe it took some miles, but soon he says to himself, I don't think my brakes are working good...

Having previously owned a large fifth wheel with Lippert axles I discovered the same thing, grease where it was not supposed to be. My advice for a new owner is to immediately check the wheel bearings before they go anywhere. The forums are full of failures.

The above comes from being a mechanic on cars, trucks and trailers, also industrial equipment for a good 65 years. ( started early) I will turn 80 this month. Cheers to me!
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #125

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Definitely cheers to you, Tom.

We chose to cancel the Davey Crockett gathering for this year, right near you. Maybe we'll see you somewhere else in the not too distant future.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #126

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Definitely cheers to you, Tom.

We chose to cancel the Davey Crockett gathering for this year, right near you. Maybe we'll see you somewhere else in the not too distant future.

Bill
Bill, Did you mean the event is cancelled, or you cancelled attending? If event is cancelled, we know of one other party we could notify. And yes, hope to cross paths!

Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #127

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
The King of the Wild Frontier event was demoted from a "rally" to a "gathering", since nobody wanted to step up and guide it or promote it.

As far as I know, some will still be attending, but not us.

Bill

Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote