Setting up, tearing down issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Setting up, tearing down issues

Chalk it up to old age, whatever but this trip we have had more issues with forgetting critical stuff during setup and tear down. Suggestions for keeping on track? Checklists? Foul weather makes it worse and it’s been rainy south of Anchorage for several days. Easy to blame the partner when messing up. Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
We're getting old

A checklist is highly recommended. Pilots of aircraft don't rely on memory & habit only. They are useful to refer to that some item isn't missed or a step in a procedure is not done.
I use them. Once, when I didn't use my well worn camp gear checklist, I thought, I've been doing this for30 years, I got it down pat. I left the tent poles at home. Duh!
I use my check list after that.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We don’t have a list, but a lot of people do, and it’s a good idea. The best list is one you make for your own routine. A routine helps; when you do things the same way each time, you forget less. Our checklist is we both do a walk through inside and a walk around outside before we leave. We occasionally catch something the other forgot in our respective routines.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
For Escape operation we use the list that the previous owner made for inside and outside setup and tear down jobs. It’s printed out on the door jamb and works as well for us as it did for him. He flew jets, I’ve only ever flown a kite.

We have a list that we use to make sure we’ve got all we need when we go camping. It stays in a bag along with the atlas, reservations, etc. Even the dog has a page.

I use a list for fishing gear, hunting, travel, maintenance chores, winterization, groceries, etc.
I usually work off of one every day. Saves time and steps,
Makes the experience smoother.
Anecdote Alert:
Bear hunting in Canada a few years ago the tracker encouraged us to go out on the first night. They had been late picking us up and getting to the remote camp.
He said “you’ve got time to get kitted up. We will wait for you.” We declined but I always liked his terminology
“Get kitted up”.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
My husband and I have forgotten one too many things so we made this checklist and it is working! . We also don't have to double check each other. After printing, we cut it into 3 1/2" x5" and lay the paper back to back. It was then laminated. We put a punch hole at the top, place the cards on a keyring, and when leaving home, or setting up or leaving camp, we use the appropriate card with an erasable pen. We also put on a 'necklace' to carry around as we are getting things set up.

This one works for us without being a list so long we just overlook the important tasks. You may find this useful too.

Lorna
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final Trailer checklist.pdf (95.0 KB, 174 views)
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We don’t use one as we have had a ton of quickie stops over the past several months. Repetition can be a good thing.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:08 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I don't use a checklist because I hardly every bring the same things...one trip it's bikes, another trip it's kayaks, sometimes we have hookups, other times not. I just make sure I do a full check outside and inside before we leave, and for the most part all the critical jobs belong to me, so I either know they were done or they weren't. So far so good.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #8

Trailer: don't have one yet
We will be getting our 21 C in Sept. this list is great! thanks so much!
joanwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I have a before we leave checklist to ensure we don’t leave anything critical at home.

Best advise I read on this forum about forgetting … is to breakdown tasks and do them in same sequence every time, don’t engage in conversation when hooking up tug to trailer. Since I usually travel with my spouse we each have clearly delineated tasks related to setting up/leaving and we check each other’s work.

Related to memory issues - at sanidump I follow the same procedure each time … including a final check to ensure the tank cap is secure etc

During a trip and we decide we need to buy something (like I used up my last latex glove at SaniDump) I make a buy list on my phone. …. This post reminds me that I failed to make that note and need to buy more latex gloves
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #10
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanwaldron View Post
We will be getting our 21 C in Sept. this list is great! thanks so much!
Glad you like it--it's a trailer to-do checklist and not a packing checklist. It's also handy as we may not necessarily take a trip with each other, but with friends. We may not remember something the other spouse usually takes care of. Enjoy your 21C!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Since when I leave home in my trailer it is usually for months at a time, I use two checklists at home: one for the house, one for provisioning the trailer.

But when I move from one campsite to another I don't use a written list. I start from the inside, at the back of the trailer, then go up the driver's side first, checking things as I go by:
__ secure the dinette table
__ put loose items in the cabinets
__ secure the fridge and switch it to 12V (in my case)
__ ritually curse the fridge
__ remove the microwave plate and secure it, etc.

Then I go to the back again and go up the passenger's side, checking things as I go:
__ check all cabinets
__ secure the upper cabinets with a bungee
__ put countertop items in the sink
__ then check the bathroom

I take one last look around inside for loose items then I go outside:
__ lower antenna masts and secure antenna lines (in my case)
__ hitch up the trailer
__ do a walkaround to make sure the tires are good, etc.
__ remove the chocks
__ raise the step
__ turn on the lights and see that they work, including turn signals

And eventually I drive away while saying "set the controls for the heart of the sun!"
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Correction: when I said "secure the upper row of cabinets with a bungee" I meant the top row of cabinet doors beneath the sink, not the overhead cabinets.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #13

Only allow helpers if they know what they are doing. I found it easier and certainly safer to do setup/take down by myself.
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Since when I leave home in my trailer it is usually for months at a time, I use two checklists at home: one for the house, one for provisioning the trailer.

But when I move from one campsite to another I don't use a written list. I start from the inside, at the back of the trailer, then go up the driver's side first, checking things as I go by:
__ secure the dinette table
__ put loose items in the cabinets
__ secure the fridge and switch it to 12V (in my case)
__ ritually curse the fridge
__ remove the microwave plate and secure it, etc.

……….

And eventually I drive away while saying "set the controls for the heart of the sun!"

Mike, Do you only ritually curse the fridge one time? Or do you curse it again on your second pass?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Helpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Only allow helpers if they know what they are doing. I found it easier and certainly safer to do setup/take down by myself.
I do not appreciate helpers when I am setting up. I have a routine that I don’t like interrupted. I am close to hating helpers and onlookers when I am hooking up unless they are quiet and respectful.

Last week a guy was giving my wife and I instructions on how to back into one of those wrong way campsites, in the dark, with no campground lighting. I was jacking the trailer around and not listening. He finally got his butt out of his chair and started over to our site. At that point Rita wisely took over and let him know, as we say up here, “what for”. She knew she didn’t want him leaning on the Highlander giving me instructions as we would lack adequate bail money for the ensuing charges. She had already told him to “shut up” once but that apparently wasn’t enough.

I only say something if I see an accident is immanent or there’s a safety concern. The next day after my back up encounter I saw a fellow about to drive off with his boat trailer lights unhooked. I alerted him. He was thankful as he had unhooked the lights when he backed the trailer into the water and forgot to hook them back up.

Iowa Dave
Old 07-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I do not appreciate helpers when I am setting up. I have a routine that I don’t like interrupted. I am close to hating helpers and onlookers when I am hooking up unless they are quiet and respectful.
A timely subject. I normally do 100% of the exterior pack up and my wife does the interior packing up.

Yesterday, after having the new stove installed, I backed up to the trailer and the RV guy lowered the hitch onto the ball. I saw that the padlock I normally lock the hitch with was through the holes. Since I was blocking the lane I quickly attached the chains and started driving down the lane. First touch of the brakes and I knew something was wrong. It wasn't properly latched.

Normally I use the WDH and the jacking up process would have caught that it wasn't properly latched. So, stick with the routine you normally follow. Helpers not welcome.

As far as campground helpers go, we have always been highly disciplined whether docking a boat or an RV. We normally use radios or small signals known only to use. It someone barges in with unwanted distracting comments I'll give them unmistakable feedback.

On the checklist routine we have a policy when doing an aircraft checklist. If you're interrupted, start over. Not a bad policy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Meg and I use a checklist. For the inside and outside. We also double check each other's work. The other day she was checking my work on the WHD and discovered I had attached one of the sway bar L holding brackets incorrectly. A major mistake on my part. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post

Last week a guy was giving my wife and I instructions on how to back into one of those wrong way campsites, in the dark, with no campground lighting. I was jacking the trailer around and not listening. He finally got his butt out of his chair and started over to our site. At that point Rita wisely took over and let him know, as we say up here, “what for”. She knew she didn’t want him leaning on the Highlander giving me instructions as we would lack adequate bail money for the ensuing charges. She had already told him to “shut up” once but that apparently wasn’t enough.

I only say something if I see an accident is immanent or there’s a safety concern. The next day after my back up encounter I saw a fellow about to drive off with his boat trailer lights unhooked. I alerted him. He was thankful as he had unhooked the lights when he backed the trailer into the water and forgot to hook them back up.

Iowa Dave
Might be a good idea with the way people have become hostile lately to not tell someone to shut up, or at least be more careful and diplomatic about it.

Between the ladies in Utah and what happened to the family in Iowa at the Maquoketa park-something to consider.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We had an unfavorable experience a few months ago in a park in Washington.

They gave us a spot on a roaring creek that required creative driving in order to back into it. Without getting into great detail, the approach was lined with landscaping rocks that were large enough to grab the truck front wheels, but small enough that they could not easily be seen from behind the wheel.

Throw in a 19 foot truck, a 21 foot trailer and a camp host who insisted on directing me using terms and grunts that might as well have been in any one of a number of languages that I never got around to learning and things headed south pretty quick.

I stopped the process and said, “This is not working. I am OK with parking this trailer, but you are obviously getting worked up to a point where you are not at all helpful. If you insist on giving instructions, then you are going to have to make your instructions clear and without anger and frustration. Otherwise we will part ways”.

He regrouped and started again this time without acting like an angry dictator. All went well. We will probably not go back there.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Forgetting Stuff

I rely on memory. So far, we haven't forgotten anything critical. I tend to rely on spatial analysis. If I have an empty space, then there is something missing, or at least question if something is missing. Missing something is one of the few things in this world I don't "fret" over. If I do leave something behind, then I either don't need it, I can improvise, or it can be found at Wal-Mart.
As for the trailer, I go over the things that need addressing before travel and through hook up and then my wife double-checks those things. We have missed things but so far over 8 years, nothing critical.
I also agree with Iowa Dave, leave me alone when I'm setting up or tearing down. I have my own ways of doing things and don't really need any help. It's easier to do it on my own than to provide direction to a "helper" who means well.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote