Sewer hose for weaker hands - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Sewer hose for weaker hands

I solved the problem with my Rhino hose not wanting to come off the pipe after use by adding an extender so I can use more torque.

But my friend probably is going to have trouble with her RV even with an extender. So I'm wondering if any brand of hose fits on a little more loosely than the Rhino. She has to get a new one as at the last use they ended up cutting off the old hose since they were unable to remove it, and now her husband has passed it is just her so even harder and she gets easily frustrated.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
smear some silicone plumbers grease on the ends of the fittings where they go together, especially on the pins that lock them on, that will make it go together much easier
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
smear some silicone plumbers grease on the ends of the fittings where they go together, especially on the pins that lock them on, that will make it go together much easier
The problem is getting it off again. But I'll try that on mine and see if it helps. Adding an extension to give me more space for leverage helped a lot but I don't think it will be enough for my friend. I haven't looked at the one that came with the unit, though, I will have to see if it is easier to use.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
The reason they make it tight is so it won't come off by itself during use. That would be really messy! I suspect the lubricant should help, though. Less friction means easier turning on just about anything.

I wonder if anyone makes a strap wrench large enough to slip around the hose prior to hooking it up? Sort of like the ones they sell for oil filters, only a longer strap. You'd have oodles of turning power with one of those.
Edit: they make strap wrenches that are plenty big! Check out these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
Old 05-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
One end has the pins the other has the connectors that lock onto the pins. I filed the hose with the connectors (not the pins) where the pins connect to make the connection looser. It didn't take much filing. Works easy now.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The reason they make it tight is so it won't come off by itself during use. That would be really messy! I suspect the lubricant should help, though. Less friction means easier turning on just about anything.

I wonder if anyone makes a strap wrench large enough to slip around the hose prior to hooking it up? Sort of like the ones they sell for oil filters, only a longer strap. You'd have oodles of turning power with one of those.
Edit: they make strap wrenches that are plenty big! Check out these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
Camco makes a sewer hose wrench - Camping World.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Strap wrenches

I bought a pair of strap wrenches in a two pack at my local Ace Hardware a while back. I have used them several times to loosen round fittings.

Years ago a panicky college aged pool manager and his assistant called me about ten o'clock at night. They had backwashed the pool, opened the main valve to drain and could not close it. They knew the pool would drain out over night if they couldn't shut the valve. They told me they had "done everything."
i went to the pool. The manager was small but his assistant a very fit 175 lb specimen. he said " This guy is 175 pounds of solid muscle and can't move that lever".

I said "I'm about 290 right now, mostly fat but i know what to do".
What you boys need is a cheater and I'm not talking about looking over a smart girls shoulder for an answer on a test,"

I found a three foot length of pipe that lived in the corner of the filter house. slid it down the handle on the ten inch main drain valve, and turned it with ease. They were amazed.

About 15 years later i got on an elevator in a large bank where i had an appointment with my attorney. The former pool manager was on the elevator. He was surprised to see me but immediately recognized me. He had become an attorney in the same office where i was going. He related the pool valve story to the person he was with complete with quotes. He said "i never forgot that there are two kinds of cheaters."
You never know how you are going to influence young people.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Camco makes a sewer hose wrench - Camping World.
I had a terrible time getting my sewer hose off too. I bought two 2-packs of these things (in case one or more go missing), and they totally solved the problem. They work, and I highly recommend!!

Simple fix
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I had a terrible time getting my sewer hose off too. I bought two 2-packs of these things (in case one or more go missing), and they totally solved the problem. They work, and I highly recommend!!

Simple fix
I tried one, didn't work because the opening was back where I couldn't use the wrenches. I may try again now that I have an extension on it. The way hers sits I'm not sure that would work- it's small RV and you open a hatch and about six inches back in the compartment (floorless compartment) is the cap between the two valves (like ours). If it were a closed compartment I think she could just leave the hose on, but the sides may interfere with a wrench. Anyway, maybe I'll get one again and see if it will work and she can try it. But might try filing first on mine which is still hard to use.

She isn't going to use it much with a sewer connection- it's mainly for dump stations- so coming loose isn't a big risk.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #10

Does anyone know if the Camco hose fits less tightly?
Old 05-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Does anyone know if the Camco hose fits less tightly?
There are at least three types of sewer hose fitting made and sold by Camco, and Rhino is one of them... and they will likely be different in the way they fit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Site Team

I've seen a lot of RVs where the sewer hose is left connected and stored in said comparment with the recessed attachment. many sites and most all dump stations, you only need maybe 4-5 feet of extension. In fact although I use a 15 ft. hose, I'm not sure I can remember if I've never needed the whole length, lots of times its just in the way. Whenever I get a new one, I think I'll get a 5 and a 10, and plan on using the 5 most of the time.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I've seen a lot of RVs where the sewer hose is left connected and stored in said comparment with the recessed attachment. many sites and most all dump stations, you only need maybe 4-5 feet of extension. In fact although I use a 15 ft. hose, I'm not sure I can remember if I've never needed the whole length, lots of times its just in the way. Whenever I get a new one, I think I'll get a 5 and a 10, and plan on using the 5 most of the time.
Yes, lots of big RVs are like that. Her compartment is a bottomless compartment and not in a good way. It is literally open to the ground although there is a door you have to unlock to get to it. I'm going to look at it again and see if there is some way we could fix her hose storage inside it though.

She isn't very likely to go camping completely on her own, but right now she is tied to dumping only if one of us can be there to help and even if we are leaving at the same time there isn't always a good place to park another rig while helping at the dump station.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... many sites and most all dump stations, you only need maybe 4-5 feet of extension. In fact although I use a 15 ft. hose, I'm not sure I can remember if I've never needed the whole length, lots of times its just in the way. Whenever I get a new one, I think I'll get a 5 and a 10, and plan on using the 5 most of the time.
If you get one as an extension, you can combine them. I like having all hoses as extensions (ending in a male fitting), with the fitting for the campsite sewer connection as an adapter that goes on the end of whatever string of hoses I've used... which is usually just one length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you get one as an extension, you can combine them. I like having all hoses as extensions (ending in a male fitting), with the fitting for the campsite sewer connection as an adapter that goes on the end of whatever string of hoses I've used... which is usually just one length.
I had her get a set that has two 10 foot hoses as some places it is hard to get an RV in close to the dump station. Plus an extension so the one to attach and detach is not between the valves. Then we'll see if that's enough. In the meantime I'm going to try filing mine a little to see if I can make it work more easily.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Yes, lots of big RVs are like that. Her compartment is a bottomless compartment and not in a good way. It is literally open to the ground although there is a door you have to unlock to get to it. I'm going to look at it again and see if there is some way we could fix her hose storage inside it though.
Hmmm. maybe rig some sort of coarse wire screen floor for said compartment so you COULD keep a 5-10 foot hose attached and stuffed in there, if there's sufficient space in there..
Old 05-15-2021, 12:50 AM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
We purchased a 5' hose for dumping a couple of years ago and it makes life much simpler at the dump station.

Our tube holds one 15' and one 5' Rhino hose. We keep the 90 degree in a zip lock bag for storage. We also have a 1' clear extension that we've had for 15-20 years, but it's only used about once ever 20 or more dumps.

Enjoy,

Perry