Should I replace tires now or later? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Mine are C; interesting that the Endurance skipped that category.
Ok C it is . Thanks , Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ok C it is . Thanks , Pat
I believe Goodyear Endurance tires also come in D range

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5END&tab=Sizes
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just in case anyone doesn't realize this...
these are not six-ply or eight-ply tires. The "6-ply rating" and "8-ply rating" descriptions are just a redundant way of saying "Load Range C" and "Load Range D". The "ply ratings" mean "equivalent in load capacity to a tire from many decades ago which was constructed very differently and had this many layers of reinforcement".

Typically, modern light truck and trailer tires typically have two or three sidewall plies, plus some belts under the tread; the Load Range C and Load Range D tires may have the same number of plies in their construction, and neither will have six or more plies.

TireRack: TIRE TECH - Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

I understand the idea of choosing a higher-than-required load range for a reserve of carcass burst strength. The risk of referring to ply ratings is just that someone thinks there will be more layers of reinforcement protecting the sidewalls with a higher load range.

Sure had me fooled. In fact, I went and checked my trailer tires Carlisle ST205 75/R15 load C and sure enough it said two polyester and two steel belts for the tread and two polyester for the sidewall. Go figure..... Thanks for setting me straight on that one.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #64

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was glad I replaced my OEM Carlisle which still had about 25% of its tread left or maybe 4/32? Anyway we traversed for East to West Kebler Pass after it had rained some in October '15. They put some clay-like substance to smooth it out evidently and the trailer while going downhill through a beautiful Aspen Grove started sliding towards the oncoming side if that dirt road. Don't know for sure that the new Maxis made a difference, however it felt a little close for comfort.
Some of that mud you have have out west is like grease. Very slowly driving a dirt road in the rain in the Tetons, even the mud and snow tires on the truck slid.

Cleaning the mud off wasn't fun either, turned to adobe brick when it dried.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #65

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Happy with the Endurance tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I am very interested in how the Goodyear Endurance tires work out. I just got my 17B in March and wouldn't mind replacing the Carlisle tires that came on it and the spare with the Goodyears.
Hi Rick

I am happy with the Goodyear Endurance tires Just had a month long 6224 km trip. I checked the tire pressure regularly and only once after sitting for five days did I have to add a couple of pounds in one to bring it back up to the rated 65 lb. pressure. Although rarely going over 65mph when I did I never was concerned about the speed knowing the tires were well rated for speed.

As an aside I filled up in Winnipeg yesterday, the cheapest fill of the trip at 87.9 per litre, most expensive was 127.9 on Vancouver Island. The average was 15.84l/100km or 14.85 mpg. I figure 95% of the driving was with trailer attached. I believe that's reasonable considering the headwinds on the prairies on the way west and all the mountain driving.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gasoline

Hi Adrian
Gasoline is $2.12 per gallon here in Iowa right now. I paid $1.25 per liter CAN last month in Canada and as much as $2.99 US in Washington on our Rally trip. Gasoline costs money like everything else, I'm just glad I can buy all I can afford whenever and wherever I want to. New tires do give you some sense of security just like new brakes, full tanks of propane and a good box of tools.
See you when you get this way again. Cold beer, hot grill, pork, steak and chicken, peas and new potatoes, corn will be ready before you know it. What else is there?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
"What else is there"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Adrian
Gasoline is $2.12 per gallon here in Iowa right now. I paid $1.25 per liter CAN last month in Canada and as much as $2.99 US in Washington on our Rally trip. Gasoline costs money like everything else, I'm just glad I can buy all I can afford whenever and wherever I want to. New tires do give you some sense of security just like new brakes, full tanks of propane and a good box of tools.
See you when you get this way again. Cold beer, hot grill, pork, steak and chicken, peas and new potatoes, corn will be ready before you know it. What else is there?
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Cedar Ridge Iowa Bourbon Whiskey!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I believe Goodyear Endurance tires also come in D range

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5END&tab=Sizes
Thankyou . This time I went with Maxis D , got a good sale price . I want to see how the Endurance does first . May consider next tire change , just in case . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #69

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Had the Endurances put on yesterday, visually I liked the Carlisles and Maxxis better, more of a tread pattern to them, sipes and such. Time will tell if they live up to their name. I do like the 87 mph rating. Thought it'd be nice not thinking about my speed crossing TX next winter, till I read it's 70 mph if towing. Oh well, that's fast enough.

New tires sure make the trailer look nice.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #70

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Had the Endurances put on yesterday, visually I liked the Carlisles and Maxxis better, more of a tread pattern to them, sipes and such. Time will tell if they live up to their name. I do like the 87 mph rating. Thought it'd be nice not thinking about my speed crossing TX next winter, till I read it's 70 mph if towing. Oh well, that's fast enough.

New tires sure make the trailer look nice.
Yes visually I think the Carlisles and Maxxis do look better but as I mentioned before I have been happy with the Endurance and not concerned about going over 65 now although still rarely do since the gas mileage towing or not certainly drops with speed.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have Carlisle load range D with 81 mph speed rating. I'll not get close.