Sink cabinet water damage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Kitchen sink water leak and shelf water damage

Hi Everybody,

I have a problem. I have been living in my brand new Escape 19 for 4 weeks, stationary on a private property. I have just discovered a water leak, and subsequent water damage (and what looked like small spots of mold (yikes!) under the kitchen sink. I am attaching pictures. I have cut out what looked like mold with a knife, and will probably rip out the whole shelf (mold is major health hazard for me). The question I have for the community is this - can you help me troubleshoot this water leak? I can't find the source. It looks most wet between the pipes and in the left far corner (possibly water drip from the wiring for the outlet?). It is either the leak in the sink itself, or from water splashing around the counter when I wash the dishes (even though I am super careful to wipe down any puddles right away - I know this is not a granite countertop and so tried to be very conscious of every drop splashed).
TIA

-Galina
BlueIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A couple of other owners have found that the plumbing pipe in that area is leaking. You may have to disassemble and then reassemble to ensure proper seating of jpoints that may leak. If you contact the factory they can give you guidance PartsandService@escapetrailer.com
Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Much worse than originally thought

I just looked over in the other part of this cabinet, where the pipe is going down in the floor and there is another pipe that's insulated, and I found that the whole left lower corner of the cabinet is wet and rotting (OMG!). I don't see the source of the moisture, and it's clear now that the whole cabinet will need to come out. This is brand new trailer! I am emailing ETI and hope that this covered under the warranty. The will need to replace the whole cabinet and possibly the floor underneath now.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It could be several things, one if which could be the faucet. I like to eliminate the easiest things first and would check the tightness of the pipe to faucet nut which can be tightened and removed by hand. Would also run the water while looking to see if water is dripping down. My first replacement faucet leaked just prior to one year and had to replace that.

I carry white shop towels for various uses and like to store them in that area under the sink near the water supply pipes and check them regularly to be sure they are not damp.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 17B
I have had a leak since day one under the sink. It happens when I use the water heater. I have tightened the connection several times which worked for a short time but it is leaking again. If I open the hot water faucet every now and then while heating water it relieves some of the pressure which helps. Turn on your water heater and if you have the same problem as mine you will see it.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #6

Thank you! My water heater is turned on all the time, as I am parked on the property and live here full time. I tried turning the faucet on and checking under it, but I don't see anything leaking! I also tightened the main pipe, and that does not seem to be the problem either. And yet there is clearly a lot of water down there!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #7

Sink cabinet water damage

I have made an earlier thread on this topic, but have discovered that the problem is much worse than I originally thought. I have a new Escape 19' that I've been living in full time for only a month, parked on a private property. Whatever is leaking under the sink has somehow pooled water to the front of the closet, and I notice that there is now rot and water damage inside the cabinet, which means that the whole cabinet will need to come out. This is my very first experience with an RV, or with a water leak of this magnitude. I will call ETI tomorrow to see what they can do to help, and I am wondering if this group has any ideas on how to approach this. I think that I will need to take the trailer to a shop to have them rebuilt the whole cabinet (and hope that the floor is not damaged underneath as well, because water damage is at the very bottom of the cabinet), which can't be cheap or fast. I can't take it to ETI, as I am in CA and don't have time or resources to drive to Canada and back. Am I missing anything here? TIA!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #8

Turn the pump off for now then turn on bath faucet briefly to relieve the pressure.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Turn the pump off for now then turn on bath faucet briefly to relieve the pressure.

OP says they have been in the same place on private property for a month. I'm only guessing then that the trailer is hooked up to city water? If so, one should not be using the pump.

Could that be the source of the problem?
Old 07-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #10

I am not using the pump, but I am using the water heater both electric and gas to have on-demand hot water. Yes the trailer is connected to the water source here on property (it's not city water, it's from a well)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 AM   #11

Sorry, am used to boondocking; would unhook your water connection outside until your problem is fixed. Turn of hot water heater as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Do you have a pressure reducer on your city water supply hose?
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Actually the landlord removed that. With it in place the trailer was getting no water pressure.

How would turning off water solve this problem? If I do not have water running, how would I see where it is leaking from?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post

Very good question. First night camping in my new trailer, I was lucky to camp next to a more experienced RVer who asked me the same question. The water pressure at the campground was very high.

I've also learned since that opening the tap half way does not reduce water pressure.

I bought the pressure reducer for about $12 at a hardware store in town.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIndigo View Post
Actually the landlord removed that. With it in place the trailer was getting no water pressure.

The pressure reduction valve would only reduce water pressure to a safe level for RV plumbing. It would not reduce it to no pressure. I think your landlord may be the problem.
I think it's also a little early to panic over rot and mould. Find the source of the leak and let the area dry out. You'll be fine.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
We are trying to help you determine if the cause of your leak is excessive water pressure. The problem could be a slow leak that is dripping full time, not just when you have the water running.

As Ross suggested, until you find the source of the leak, you could use the well water to fill the fresh water tank, and turn the water pump on only when you want to use water, then turn the pump off, and open a tap to relieve the pressure when done with the water. This should reduce the amount of leakage in the meantime.

You will want to look at all the plumbing connections under the sink when the water is on to see if you can find the point where the leak is occurring.

Hopefully you get the problem fixed and the damage restored quickly.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Water pressure regulators can be defective, and cause water flow problems... but excessive pressure in campgrounds can be a real problem, so using something is prudent.

I use an adjustable regulator with a gauge. This allows me to choose the pressure, to see the result, and to confirm that it it working. Turning it as high as it will go should also show the incoming pressure, although I haven't tried that. I think mine is a common Valterra unit, but there are other brands.
https://www.valterra.com/product/adj...d-free-carded/

It might be worth using a good regulator, or at least some regulator plus a pressure gauge (maybe even gauges on the incoming water and the regulated output) to see if excessive incoming might be the cause of the problem, and to fix the problem if it is.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rain-Bird-P2A-.../dp/B00004RACK
https://www.valterra.com/product/wat...d-free-carded/
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:14 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
are you using a pressure regulator with your water hookup ? I find my trailers have been much happier with 40-60 PSI instead of the often over 80PSI from urban systems.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:54 AM   #19

I am not using any pressure regulator. The pressure reducer that ETI gave me was reducing pressure too much. Trailer is connected to the well here on the property, so it's different than at the city water systems that campgrounds use. With the pressure reducer there was no water pressure in the trailer at all.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Is the water leak from a source or with your drain pipe. If source, try filling your tank and use the pump. If no leaks then get another pressure reducer. If the drain pipe under the sink is leaking then your water heater is not an issue nor is the water pressure, Pictures or more detail will help us help you. Also turn off your water heater if not using, leaving it on all the time is wasting your propane.