Sink Rust - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Sink Rust

Anyone had problems with scratches and rust on their stainless sinks? We've noticed rust around the lip. Note that we haven't used any abrasive tools or cleaners, this showed up our first trip in the rig.

I reached out to Escape and they responded with instructions on how to clean it but is this really something we should expect or was the sink damaged?
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210103_215602771.jpg   PXL_20210103_215612887.jpg  
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
Anyone had problems with scratches and rust on their stainless sinks? We've noticed rust around the lip. Note that we haven't used any abrasive tools or cleaners, this showed up our first trip in the rig.

I reached out to Escape and they responded with instructions on how to clean it but is this really something we should expect or was the sink damaged?
The sinks are 304 SS which means they will get a little surface rust. A little stainless polish will remove it and keep it from coming back.

https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Stainl...874391&sr=8-13
Old 01-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Stainless doesn't mean rustless. Ask those who's professions allow them to carry stainless steel framed weapons.... I use the Weinman product on my SS refrigerator at home, but use Sheila Shine on the SS sink in my trailer: https://www.amazon.com/Sheila-Shine-.../dp/B0013MV1BG
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Hmm, all right, disappointing but I guess some polish and maintenance will take care of it. Thanks for the help!
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bought a new Samsung fridge for the home and heeded the instructions to just use warm soapy water to wipe doors. It immediately started showing rust. On our older SS appliances this has never happened. Am told there is less nickel in some SS now. We were able to trade the Samsung with a GE that has a slate finish. Consumer Reports documents rusting on SS appliances:

https://www.consumerreports.org/kitc...nces-can-rust/
Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Magnet test

You can do a simple test with a magnet on your SS panels - if a magnet sticks it has a higher percentage of iron an is susceptible to rust. If not, it's got lower iron and higher nickel content and is less prone to rust.

Finally got to use what I learned in my engineering metallurgy class in college!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
The inoxydation in stainless steel come front the oxydation of chrome and nickel witch when ticken enough stop the process and become inoxydable. Only pure gold does not oxidize. Usually when SS steel rush it is due to contamination. As simple as a grinding wheel use on steel and then use on S Steel will rust. If simple contact is the cause a good buffing with solid polishing compound will usually reduce the even to come back.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If the sink is a quality stainless, it will not rust. I expect your sink has come in contact with a steel product and picked up some carbon and that is what is rusting. Maybe you dragged a cast iron fry pan on the sink. Use a scotch brite pad and polish it up.

When I TIG weld any stainless steel, I am very careful not to have it contact bare steel on a bench. All my sanding discs and Scotchbrite pads are for stainless only.

As for the quality of the sink, I doubt it would ever rust.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
If the sink is a quality stainless, it will not rust. I expect your sink has come in contact with a steel product and picked up some carbon and that is what is rusting. Maybe you dragged a cast iron fry pan on the sink. Use a scotch brite pad and polish it up.

When I TIG weld any stainless steel, I am very careful not to have it contact bare steel on a bench. All my sanding discs and Scotchbrite pads are for stainless only.

As for the quality of the sink, I doubt it would ever rust.
Carbon isn't part of rust. Rust consists of hydrous iron(III) oxides (Fe2O3·nH2O) and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3), and is typically associated with the corrosion of refined iron. No carbon in there. Stainless steel forms a passivation layer of chromium(III) oxide.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Carbon isn't part of rust. Rust consists of hydrous iron(III) oxides (Fe2O3·nH2O) and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3), and is typically associated with the corrosion of refined iron. No carbon in there. Stainless steel forms a passivation layer of chromium(III) oxide.
Ok, it’s been 25 years since my Metalurgy class.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote