size of inside of front storage box on 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
size of inside of front storage box on 19?

I trying to figure out if a Honda 2001 generator will fit into the front storage box with battery removed. Honda specs say 12 wx20Lx17H
but the base is only 11" .Buy looking at the picture I have it looks close. I know the 6 volt battery is 10.31"wide maybe someone had done this? maybe some one could measure . I not sure is the 21 have the same size box?

how high is it above the battery? the honda is 11 inch at base but does get a little wider at the middle ,but looks like the box gets wider also as it go up. here some pics hope it explains it better
Attached Thumbnails
19' Dual 6V in Storage Box 2of 2.jpg   IMG_20200512_203500.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why do that? there is a weight limit and it would use up all your space with a heavy item.You would have to put all your dirty items elsewhere, like leveling blocks, sewer accessories, water hoses?
Old 05-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #3

You could carry it on the rear with a accessory rack......
Old 05-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why do that? there is a weight limit and it would use up all your space with a heavy item.You would have to put all your dirty items elsewhere, like leveling blocks, sewer accessories, water hoses?

There be no battery in there so it be less weight in the box.as the generator weighs less (45lbs) that the 2 6 volt batteries (125lbs).so weight would be reduced by 80lbs only room lost would be above the battery.

weight limit brings up a good question. what is it? in my photo it says 100lbs on sticker but the streaming tour they did today on 19 it said 50lbs on sticker.

the advantage of carrying up front is it will be out of site and can still use a bike rack on back.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Michael, for what it is worth, I saw on your build sheet post that you are going with solar. I had solar on my 19 and again on my 5.0 TA. I also have a Honda generator. I used to bring it with me in my truck bed when I first got my 19’ 4 years ago. After a year and a half, I had only used it once so started leaving it at home. Have not missed it since.

(Actually I did use it one other time when I was helping my sister build her house and we needed to shut off the main to move the service panel. It powered the lights so we could work in the crawl space. So $300 for something I have only used twice in 4 years was not a good ROI!)

So my advice is to not design your storage around the generator until you have some experience with your new rig. It will be easy enough to modify things later if how you personally camp warrants the effort.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Arnie. I’ve only used the gen camping once, and don’t bring it any longer. I do use it in the storage Lot to work on the trailers so it has paid for itself in that role.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Honda 1000 stays home since I got two 40 watt solar panels. It's filled with Aspen gas ( about $30 a litre ) so that the carb won't clog up. I used to run it every couple months for the exercise, change the oil etc.

Now, I don't.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
You could carry it on the rear with a accessory rack......
I have heard of generators going missing when people get to the parks, scooped on the interstate while in traffic. Besides, its pretty bouncy back there, not really good for the genie. Put it in your truck.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Michael, for what it is worth, I saw on your build sheet post that you are going with solar. I had solar on my 19 and again on my 5.0 TA. I also have a Honda generator. I used to bring it with me in my truck bed when I first got my 19’ 4 years ago. After a year and a half, I had only used it once so started leaving it at home. Have not missed it since.

(Actually I did use it one other time when I was helping my sister build her house and we needed to shut off the main to move the service panel. It powered the lights so we could work in the crawl space. So $300 for something I have only used twice in 4 years was not a good ROI!)

So my advice is to not design your storage around the generator until you have some experience with your new rig. It will be easy enough to modify things later if how you personally camp warrants the effort.

I know what you saying, I already have taken for a ride around the country only not to use it. The only reason i would use it is for air. on my build I had planned on not getting air then I got second thoughts. I prefer solar.I came very close to dropping the air off the build sheet and putting the Honda for sale. But it seemed crazy to invest this kind of money and not get air.I like to take it along just in hot weather.
it looks to me like it would just fit, But I am not sure . I not sure if the 21 has the same size box? If so i would think someone has tried it on a 21 as there is no battery in the box on that model.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I trying to figure out if a Honda 2001 generator will fit into the front storage box with battery removed. Honda specs say 12 wx20Lx17H
but the base is only 11" .Buy looking at the picture I have it looks close. I know the 6 volt battery is 10.31"wide maybe someone had done this? maybe some one could measure . I not sure is the 21 have the same size box?

how high is it above the battery? the honda is 11 inch at base but does get a little wider at the middle ,but looks like the box gets wider also as it go up. here some pics hope it explains it better
Michael: Maybe these posts will help? They lead me to believe that the dimensions of the box on a classic 19 are the same as those on a 2nd gen 21. From the looks of it the Honda gen will fit but may be squeezed at the very bottom as the box tapers down to just over 10” in depth (front to back). You may also be real close on the height and may just need to offset the gen from under the metal support bar. Best to call Escape for exact measurements since it is so close.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post50932
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post319344
Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #11

Michael, I went through the same process of building the perfect Escape for my needs. It does not work, it took me 4 tries to figure out exactly what will work and not. I sold my generator with my first Escape. It had a 9200 a/c. The current have 11,500 but a/c and your generator will not operate it. Get the solar, put the batteries back in the front box, use the box for storage and enjoy the experience. I also recommend dropping the high lift option as it will impact both your steps and hitch height. If you feel your choices are wrong, you can always sell and upgrade. Escapes hold their value. I have yet to fill both my propane tanks on my Escapes as it seems I'm always upgrading.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Michael, I went through the same process of building the perfect Escape for my needs. It does not work, it took me 4 tries to figure out exactly what will work and not. I sold my generator with my first Escape. It had a 9200 a/c. The current have 11,500 but a/c and your generator will not operate it. Get the solar, put the batteries back in the front box, use the box for storage and enjoy the experience. I also recommend dropping the high lift option as it will impact both your steps and hitch height. If you feel your choices are wrong, you can always sell and upgrade. Escapes hold their value. I have yet to fill both my propane tanks on my Escapes as it seems I'm always upgrading.

hmm I was under the understanding the the air would run off the 2000! as long as you where not using other things. . I think i had asked that before . I will have to check if it will not work there be no reason to carry that extra 100lbs for the air .( we never have hook up)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #13

and in addition, "we never"may change to occasional hookups when attending rallies or other meets or want to have air conditioning like in Florida. The wheels allow you to travel to where the climate is okay without hookups.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Michael: Maybe these posts will help? They lead me to believe that the dimensions of the box on a classic 19 are the same as those on a 2nd gen 21. From the looks of it the Honda gen will fit but may be squeezed at the very bottom as the box tapers down to just over 10” in depth (front to back). You may also be real close on the height and may just need to offset the gen from under the metal support bar. Best to call Escape for exact measurements since it is so close.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post50932
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post319344

thes thread where helpful i still havent confirmed fro ETI if both 19 and 21 use the same box.

It looks like it may just fit with maybe one problem .well maybe two problems.
1. the support brace would have to be removed in middle. I think i could relocate it and build another. so I would end up with two off them 22" apart with the center open. I assuming this would still be strong enough.
2. on the lid there is A fiber glassed in plywood panel for support . depending on how thick that was it may take away the 17" clearance I need while the lid is closed. I only need that clearance in the middle where handle is.
what i really need to know is the distance from the plywood (in the middle where battery sits) to that plywood insert on the lid while closed. If any one has some extra time maybe they could put a 17" stick or something 17" long and see of lid would still close. I assuming its less in the front and more in the back , very hard to guess from pictures.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
hmm I was under the understanding the the air would run off the 2000! as long as you where not using other things. . I think i had asked that before . I will have to check if it will not work there be no reason to carry that extra 100lbs for the air .( we never have hook up)
There are threads on this topic. My personal experience is that a Honda EU2000i will run the 11,500 BTU Dometic rooftop unit if running nothing else. That is at or near sea level and the gen rpm's are quite high as one would suspect. For some that have had starting issues with smaller generators one option has been to add a MicroAir EasyStart to reduce the start up current. They are pricey though. Definitely no problem with my 9,000 BTU mini-split

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267
Old 05-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
There are threads on this topic. My personal experience is that a Honda EU2000i will run the 11,500 BTU Dometic rooftop unit if running nothing else. That is at or near sea level and the gen rpm's are quite high as one would suspect. For some that have had starting issues with smaller generators one option has been to add a MicroAir EasyStart to reduce the start up current. They are pricey though. Definitely no problem with my 9,000 BTU mini-split

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

Doing the math it should run it. they already have a soft start built in, but i sure its not as good as the micro air. I did a search and like you say there is mixed results . I wonder if thats because some may have had lower battery at time and the converter was drawing a load . I guess i going to have to wait and see. of course it would run the mini-split . also during my search i did find where a guy put a small window unit in the escape window. I thought that was interesting .
Old 05-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I always take my Honda 2200 and use it occasionally for air. It worked before I installed the "easy start" but startup is a lot smother now (and yes it is 2200 not the 2000). The E19 can get light in the front if you don't watch how you load your unit, with the batteries absent from the front it's not a bad place for the Honda.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I always take my Honda 2200 and use it occasionally for air. It worked before I installed the "easy start" but startup is a lot smother now (and yes it is 2200 not the 2000). The E19 can get light in the front if you don't watch how you load your unit, with the batteries absent from the front it's not a bad place for the Honda.
That is what i was thinking it weighs 52 pound full of fuel. I need it up front. I cant seem to get anyone to get the measurement I need. basically i need to know if theirs 17" from plywood to lid when lid is closed. If there is 17" I think I can make it work.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
That is what i was thinking it weighs 52 pound full of fuel. I need it up front. I cant seem to get anyone to get the measurement I need. basically i need to know if theirs 17" from plywood to lid when lid is closed. If there is 17" I think I can make it work.
It's gonna be close. Pics of box interior on my 2020 Escape 19. Edges of box fit into a recess on the lid. Meaning the interior of the lid protrudes about 1/2" into the box. Box has a taper. Taller in back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200515_192549.jpg   IMG_20200515_192613.jpg  
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Mike View Post
It's gonna be close. Pics of box interior on my 2020 Escape 19. Edges of box fit into a recess on the lid. Meaning the interior of the lid protrudes about 1/2" into the box. Box has a taper. Taller in back.

mike thats very helpful? thanks for doing that. If you can can you take something 17" long maybe a cut piece of wood or something similar and place in in the center next to the battery tie down screw and plywood. then close lid and see if protrusion hits the stick? as seen photo I only need the 17" in the center where the handle is. this is the only way i can think to measure it with out being inside of box with lid closed. I new that protrusion from the lid may be a big problem.

If you can do that I will owe you a beer!!

Congratulations on the 2020 19'!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200515_211623.jpg