Sliding screen door - Love it or hate it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
Sliding screen door - Love it or hate it?

We loved the sliding screen door in our Escape 19 until our dog decided to go through it while we were setting up camp last Friday here in Arkansas. She ripped the screen from the sliding bar that pulls the screen closed and it appears that it can't be repaired. After looking at the brochure that came with the camper it looks like the entire screen has to be replaced but it doesn't give any instructions on how to do that. I called the 800 number and didn't get much help there so sent an E-mail to Escape but haven't heard back from them. Has anyone had any experience with replacing the screen? Any suggestions would be helpful.
jcfezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I had taken my screen door completely apart and re-assembled it after doing a bit of damage when installing a latch. It seems a bit complicated at first, but is not as difficult once you dive into it a bit. There was a previous discussion on the screen door in http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...oor-353-4.html
Check out Post #34. There is a link to the replacement parts that you can get for your door.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jim Bennett has had this happen and he explained how he fixed it. Try sending him a p/m.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
sliding screen door -Love it or hate it

Found a baby gate at garage sale for two dollars . Cut it in half so by adding hinges it would by-fold to fold out of the way if needed . Made some brackets using stuff in the garage so it will swing in and out . Reason- have 3 little Shih Tzu 's that one day almost went through screen door because someone came up . Thankfully door repaired itself . all 3 weigh less then 30 lbs together . So now open gate in front and they can"t get to screen . pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0375.jpg   IMG_0376.jpg   IMG_0377.jpg   IMG_0378.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Found a baby gate at garage sale for two dollars . Cut it in half so by adding hinges it would by-fold to fold out of the way if needed . Made some brackets using stuff in the garage so it will swing in and out . Reason- have 3 little Shih Tzu 's that one day almost went through screen door because someone came up . Thankfully door repaired itself . all 3 weigh less then 30 lbs together . So now open gate in front and they can"t get to screen . pat
That is awesome! We have 4 dogs... 3 small, 1 big. Will definitely borrow this idea!

Thanks for sharing it.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim Bennett has had this happen and he explained how he fixed it. Try sending him a p/m.
That was a few years ago now, but I basically just pulled it all the way out, and fit the pieces back together again.

I also took it out when I redid my flooring, but then I just basically took it apart in reverse order of the installation guide, and put it back together the same way. They really are simple, once you figure them out, that is.

Here is a list of replacement parts available.

SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts

Our dog once, and only once, tried to go through the screen door, and that was my fault, as I never realized the screen was open. He knows he is not allowed to go through a doorway without permission. For a while after that, he was extremely cautious whenever we told him to go in, or out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
BTW, we love the screen door, and how it stays right out of the way when open.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy has put his screen door back as it should be dozens of times. No problem.
He has a Brittany Spaniel. SQUIRREL !!!
Also note: don't tie your dog to an awning arm. BIRD !!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfezell View Post
We loved the sliding screen door in our Escape 19 until our dog decided to go through it while we were setting up camp last Friday here in Arkansas. She ripped the screen from the sliding bar that pulls the screen closed and it appears that it can't be repaired. After looking at the brochure that came with the camper it looks like the entire screen has to be replaced but it doesn't give any instructions on how to do that. I called the 800 number and didn't get much help there so sent an E-mail to Escape but haven't heard back from them. Has anyone had any experience with replacing the screen? Any suggestions would be helpful.
If you get it back together, you might put a bunch of thread or something else in a big area on it at dog eye level! It often cannot be seen --- by people either. If the dog can see it, he will be less likely to go through it. I'd say try stickers but they may not work for retracting.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
If you get it back together, you might put a bunch of thread or something else in a big area on it at dog eye level! It often cannot be seen --- by people either. If the dog can see it, he will be less likely to go through it. I'd say try stickers but they may not work for retracting.
We have anchors in a couple places - use stencils , use spray paint , let dry before letting wind up . We used white paint . Has been on for 1 1/2 years really for us to not walk through . Pat
Old 05-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have also taken my screen door apart. Not a huge problem to put back together. It was very educational to know how the innards of those doors work. Wish I had known what I know now before I drilled into the frame to install handles. (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post27182).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #12

sliding screen door -Love it or hate it

picture of stencils
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0381.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Painted? That is a good idea.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Painted? That is a good idea.
You are Welcome ! Just learned how to post pics . I have been wanting to for more then a year . Thanks to the simple instructions of Kountry Kamper it finally worked . I have a lot more to share in time . Pat
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A week ago when I saw the sliding screen door on Linda's 17 trailer in Liberty, Mo. I thought it was a very nice feature but can see where it has to be handled carefully. As for a dog inside and a squirrel outside, I don't think the door has a chance. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
A week ago when I saw the sliding screen door on Linda's 17 trailer in Liberty, Mo. I thought it was a very nice feature but can see where it has to be handled carefully. As for a dog inside and a squirrel outside, I don't think the door has a chance. Loren
Bigger dogs might be a bigger problem , but we would also forgot and walked into it hence the anchors on screen . We also had a squirrel recently get under screen and come inside help themselve to a cookie .we were next door visiting . So made a removable board to go across so they can't get under screen . People feed them all the time so they are very bold here at our favorite camping spot. Dom love the screen and it folds in out of the way so would not change it . Pat
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You are Welcome ! Just learned how to post pics . I have been wanting to for more then a year . Thanks to the simple instructions of Kountry Kamper it finally worked . I have a lot more to share in time . Pat