Soft Floor - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Or use one of the newer materials like Coosa board.
It's a plywood replacement, easy to use and can handle loads and impervious to water damage. An advantage for is is it also has a slight insulation rating so it could help with cold floors.
Ouch! You're right that Coosa board would be great but $329 for 4'x8'x3/4" sheet?

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa...5=249&211=1112
Old 06-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #22

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ouch! You're right that Coosa board would be great but $329 for 4'x8'x3/4" sheet?

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa...5=249&211=1112

Buy it local or as local as you can, we used Merrit supply. It still was high but good marine plywood is not cheap either. And this is a install once and your done product.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Hi, I have a 2008 Escape 17b.
I noticed an area about 6 inches in diameter on my floor that feels soft/swollen. When I step on it, it feels spongy. It feels like an air pocket under the vinyl. The area is just ahead of the shower door, close to the shower wall.
I worry about water damage but can't imagine how water may have accessed that area. I did have a leak around the shower roof that driped into the shower area. I haven't seen any water under the front bench or rear cupboards. I don't see any access area under the camper.
Any ideas what is going on here??
Thanks for your help;
If it is by the shower door, I wonder if you may have left the shower curtain open while showering and some of the water got under the vinyl. We have left the shower curtain open once and there was a quite puddle on the vinyl.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Treated plywood

We built fiberglass boats in the 1970's to mid 80's. Most treated plywood you buy is still wet with treatment, if allowed to dry properly or having it kiln dried it will hold fiberglass. My brother still does repairs on glass products and we have yet to replace a transom or any other treated plywood part we used.
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
When I was up at ETI In April, I asked them what grade of plywood they use and was told that they use marine plywood for the floor of the trailer
Marine plywood is not waterproof although a water proof glue is used to bond the wood plies.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #26

Trailer: N/A
A/C exterior plywood is constucted using the same resorcinol glue as marine plywood: the latter differs only in that no voids are allowed in the laminate. I should think that A/C exterior for the sub-floor would be just fine: a great improvement would be to treat the plywood with a low viscosity penetrating epoxy. Perhaps this is not feasible on a RV assembly line, but I'd pay to have it done. I've owned several older travel trailers and rotted plywood sub-floors have been an issue.
Douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 17B, 2011 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Hi, I have a 2008 Escape 17b.
I noticed an area about 6 inches in diameter on my floor that feels soft/swollen. When I step on it, it feels spongy. It feels like an air pocket under the vinyl. The area is just ahead of the shower door, close to the shower wall.
I worry about water damage but can't imagine how water may have accessed that area. I did have a leak around the shower roof that driped into the shower area. I haven't seen any water under the front bench or rear cupboards. I don't see any access area under the camper.
Any ideas what is going on here??
Thanks for your help;
Thanks everyone for the response. I did pull up the vinyl and it did come up easy. The plywood underneath was covered in what looks like a resin. There was no sign of water or mold, etc. I believe the vinyl lifted for some reason. My windows had not been tinted and the vinyl was discolored. I have had the windows tinted and replaced the vinyl with Luxury Vinyl Blanks that look like wood blanks. I am replacing the shower vent. I did find a small crack in the corner of the frame that the lid sits on. In my search for water I did find what I believe are low point drain holes under the trailer, one just ahead of the black tank, one on the opposite side of the trailer and one in the front center. These are 1/4 holes that I assume are drain holes?
davidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
good news and yes, those are drain holes for any water that does get inside...