Solar charge over 100% - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Solar charge over 100%

Hello all....we are new-ish to the Escape and RV game in general. Got our used 5.0 last fall and only got to take it out once. Getting ready for a few days out to "relearn" all we can. I noticed the other day that the meter was showing the battery charge at just over 100% - maybe 104. Thought that was funny. Today it's 154. What the what How can the battery have 154% charge. That was just on solar. I was able to run the MaxxFan, etc. on the solar charge just fine. Having a secondary issue with the A/C with shore power now plugged in, but I need to dig around first before seeking help here on that one. Only mentioning in case there could be some tie in...

Any ideas? Should we be worried? I wish I could have gotten 154% on things when I was in school :-)

Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
Hello all....we are new-ish to the Escape and RV game in general. Got our used 5.0 last fall and only got to take it out once. Getting ready for a few days out to "relearn" all we can. I noticed the other day that the meter was showing the battery charge at just over 100% - maybe 104. Thought that was funny. Today it's 154. What the what How can the battery have 154% charge. That was just on solar. I was able to run the MaxxFan, etc. on the solar charge just fine. Having a secondary issue with the A/C with shore power now plugged in, but I need to dig around first before seeking help here on that one. Only mentioning in case there could be some tie in...

Any ideas? Should we be worried? I wish I could have gotten 154% on things when I was in school :-)

Jackie
What are the DC & AC voltage readings?
Old 06-12-2021, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Got our used 5.0 last fall and only got to take it out once.
Jackie

Do you have any information on the age of the batteries (assuming they are a pair of 6-Volts)?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Do you have any information on the age of the batteries (assuming they are a pair of 6-Volts)?
When we bought it last fall the original owner did mention the batteries could stand to be replaced. Would them going bad cause the “over” charge?
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
When we bought it last fall the original owner did mention the batteries could stand to be replaced. Would them going bad cause the “over” charge?
I'll go out on a limb here...
If the batteries are at the end of their useful life, then for a number of reasons it could take more power to bring them up to "full" - where full is defined as the batteries not taking any more power. But the electronics that measure % of charge only sees what is going in, and doesn't take into account "why" more power than normal is going in.

A theoretical example. A good 100 Ah battery will need 110 Ah to go from empty to 100% full. A defective one might need 150Ah but the charge counter sees the extra 40 Ah and claims 140% charged.

With out knowing any of your specifics this is all speculation, but perhaps a formal "load test" of your batteries is in order.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote