Solar disconnect from battery's - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Trailer: looking to purchase 21 foot
Solar disconnect from battery's

Looking for info on solar system ,reading in book it says never allow
Solar array to be connected to the controller with the battery's disconnected
Has any one put switch in going to battery's
Thanks
Barylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barylski View Post
Looking for info on solar system ,reading in book it says never allow solar array to be connected to the controller with the battery's disconnected

Has any one put switch in going to battery's

Thanks

Steve,

AMSolar has some good diagrams on wiring solar systems on RVs such as this one: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...T-MPPT-50A.pdf

They show a battery disconnect type switch between the panels and the controller. Then they have a combo disconnect/circuit breaker between the controller and the battery.

I plan to have roof panels and a jack for portable panels. I plan to use a dual battery switch. "Battery 1" will be the roof panels. "Battery 2" will be the portable panels. "Battery 1+2" will connect both sets of panels to the controller. Then, I'll have a circuit breaker/on-of switch between the controller and the battery bank.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I installed breakers on both the input and output side of the solar controller primarily as disconnects.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I can either cover the panel or pull the fuse between the controller and the panel. A breaker would be a little simpler but I had fuses on hand. So yes, a way to disconnect is advisable.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
On our first outing the main battery fuse, 40amp, blew. Have no idea why but found out when we tried to raise landing gear and no go. Anyway got gear up by plugging back into shore power and got home and found blown fuse. Replaced fuse, good to go ever since. Now the batteries where disconnected but panels still hooked up to controller , didn't seem to hurt anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Same controller manuals tell you to disconnect, some don't. It's controller specific and maybe if you are a concerner or not.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I replaced my single 12v with dual 6 volts in my 21 there was not any issue without the batteries connected. Maybe an hour during the switch where nothing was hooked up. It was with the smaller solar set up though. So what does one do when replacing the batteries, other than covering the panel?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Our Samlex Solar controller said to never have the solar connected when the battery was disconnected. We now have a Blue Sky Solar Controller, that recommends against it.
Whenever I want to disconnect the battery, I will cover the panel, either with cardboard, or a tarp. I don't rely on the trailer cover to block all the sun.

Edit: our 2015 17A was wired so that the power from the solar controller runs through a 20 Amp. auto-reset circuit breaker, then to the battery. It does not go through the main battery disconnect switch within the trailer. That switch only controls output from the battery to the converter and then onto the trailer 12V circuits.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We now have a Blue Sky Solar Controller, that recommends against it.
That seems odd that they would recommend against a breaker or disconnect. Sure, you can take measures like covering a single panel if needing to connect or disconnect, but for folks like me that have four panels it would be tough.

My EPEVER Charge Controller recommends a breaker from the panels to the controller, and at least a fuse from the controller to the battery.

Although I have never used my 90W portable yet, having not drained the batteries enough, I guess it would be a good idea to connect before exposing the panel to the sun. Pretty sure the contacts on the connector to the trailer could handle the wee current, which in my case at 36V is quite low at 2.2A.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That seems odd that they would recommend against a breaker or disconnect. Sure, you can take measures like covering a single panel if needing to connect or disconnect, but for folks like me that have four panels it would be tough............
What I meant was: The Blue Sky Controller recommends against disconnecting the battery when the panels are connected to the controller, unless, of course, there is no solar power input to the panels (E.G. nighttime, or panel(s) covered, or switch inline with panel output to the controller so as to disconnect when necessary).

I had determined that the Blue Sky controller is a more robust electronic device than the Samlex, which was replaced because it failed at about the two-year-old mark.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #11

If I read the manual for Bogart's controller correctly, having no output from the panel is a safety measure so YOU don't get zapped while you are messing around with cables, not to prevent smoking the controller.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
What I meant was: The Blue Sky Controller recommends against disconnecting the battery when the panels are connected to the controller, unless, of course, there is no solar power input to the panels (E.G. nighttime, or panel(s) covered, or switch inline with panel output to the controller so as to disconnect when necessary).

I had determined that the Blue Sky controller is a more robust electronic device than the Samlex, which was replaced because it failed at about the two-year-old mark.
Gotcha. My brain is going slow after a long weekend of camping and socializing. Maybe a bit too much fun.