Solar panel fire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Solar panel fire

Just watched a disturbing utube video titled "Our solar panels caught fire." These owners had several flexible panels on their roof. They believe the copper wires broke, possibly because the thin panels were flexed, or hit by some flying object, or were walked on, or, well, who knows. This caused sparks that ignited the panels and a fire that was a very close call. Scary stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
solar fire.jpg  
Old 11-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I didn’t get this for my Escape, but it comes in handy, for things like the roof inspection.

We’ve all known those who have fell off ladders as they get older, not to recover.

I just picked this up, along with the same but smaller version for most interior work.
Lowes has a special deal on this large one, like half off.

These types have been out for quite some time, years ago I had one of the first and got rid of it, a real pain to use. They really did it right this time.
This ladder is so much safer to use than regular ladders, something I’ve been trying to focus on.
The leg leveler is much smoother than any I’ve ever used. The stability of it is really surprising. .
Attached Thumbnails
881D51F4-D5AD-4E73-B91D-26B107F711FA.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Since I have a flexible panel on my roof, yes, scary stuff. It'd be nice to know what did cause it but we'll probably never find out. Hope it's only one in a million.

Those ladders have been the topic of past threads. Yes, very stable, enough so that I made a padded platform for the top to kneel on. Yes, that scares some folks but it's so stable I have no concerns. I can easily reach to the center of the roof.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.JPG   IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Since I have a flexible panel on my roof, yes, scary stuff. It'd be nice to know what did cause it but we'll probably never find out. Hope it's only one in a million.

Those ladders have been the topic of past threads. Yes, very stable, enough so that I made a padded platform for the top to kneel on. Yes, that scares some folks but it's so stable I have no concerns. I can easily reach to the center of the roof.

Ron
Yes it’s nice.

Lowes has it for about $300 less than regular prices, for now.
A special buy, so the model number will be different from others like Home Depot or Amazon.
I had the same ides for the top, but for painting tools. Crude, but works.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I just picked this up, along with the same but smaller version for most interior work.
Which model is that pictured with your 5.0, please?

I believe they use designations like "Leveler M##" ...
Old 11-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Which model is that pictured with your 5.0, please?

I believe they use designations like "Leveler M##" ...
LG M26 LEVELER MTL LADDER- this was on my receipt.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
LG M26 LEVELER MTL LADDER- this was on my receipt.
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
Even with these ladders please please please be very careful. My father in law in 84 yrs old, putting up clips on the roof, getting ready for Xmas decorations slipped n feel off the ladder coming down. He had to have a full hip replacement n broke most of his ribs. He is doing very well considering. Just please all be careful while on a ladder
Old 11-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
I'd like to get a leg up in the world, but not that way.
That solar panel fire is odd! Never thought it would be possible.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
I just use an ordinary eight-foot A-frame ladder. It's a little taller than the trailer and has the nice platform on top and folding out to hold stuff. I don't know why you'd want the funky folding kind over an A-frame.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It's portable, sturdy - though heavier than I'd like. Hope never to need it.
Attached Thumbnails
ladder1.jpg  
Old 11-01-2022, 09:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I own one of those just a shorter model have had it before the Escape.

I seldom use it because the step treads are so thin it hurts my feet to stand on it for very long.

I prefer a large step ladder to it.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
I just use an ordinary eight-foot A-frame ladder. It's a little taller than the trailer and has the nice platform on top and folding out to hold stuff. I don't know why you'd want the funky folding kind over an A-frame.
Look at my first photo. See how the shorter unequal length back part allows for the ladder to be tight up against the trailer.

You can't get that close with a conventional step ladder. If you put it sideways to be close to the trailer it's much less stable.

Plus the folding type is very versatile and can be used in many configurations.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’ve never seen a solar panel fire, they are made of components that aren’t flammable.

I think it would be a very unusual situation that could possibly lead to a fire.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #15

• Even my rigid PV panels have a plastic / synthetic backing sheet and diode / connector junction box which would likely melt or turn to char if they got hot enough
  • There's certainly enough current running in these things to create a LOT of heat if the 'right' thing went 'wrong'
  • Methinks the likelihood of that is so very low that it's not anything to lose sleep or agonize about
But yeah, they're human creations with failings possible; no reason to not live a life full of fun, adventure, and optimism with No Worries, IMO
Old 11-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
I didn’t think I’d own the folding type again, but once I saw the improved ones being used by a couple of guys installing gutters, I was in. Handled the sidewalk steps like they weren’t even there.

What Ron said-and when it’s in the A configuration both sides will hold up to 300 pounds.
The leg levers for me are a must, I tend to be a bit accident prone so safety is also important to me. I did have a ladders bottom slide out on me, not only broke the metal ladder when I fell on top of it, but didn’t feel good. Kept me off roofs for a few years.

I also picked up the 17’ and those two have replaced most of my other ladders. I keep a telescope folding style in the back of my work truck.

Next time you’re at the hardware store try one out, the stability alone did it for me.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I’ve never seen a solar panel fire, they are made of components that aren’t flammable.
Typically rigid panels have glass covers, but flexible panels likely have polymer (plastic) covers. The backing could be anything, but glass-reinforced polymers ("fiberglass") would be likely. Polymers are generally flammable, although some may only char and not support combustion once the heat source (current from the battery shorting through solar panel components) is removed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Typically rigid panels have glass covers, but flexible panels likely have polymer (plastic) covers. The backing could be anything, but glass-reinforced polymers ("fiberglass") would be likely. Polymers are generally flammable, although some may only char and not support combustion once the heat source (current from the battery shorting through solar panel components) is removed.
True, I wasn’t accounting for all possible components. Copper and Silicon are really tough to burn, but if there are some other materials with a lower burn point, or even something used to mount the panel…. Who knows
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #19

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
I became curious about the instances of fires caused by solar panels.

Naturally, almost all were on rooftops of houses or commercial buildings. Most attributed to "installation errors or manufacturing defects".

I found a couple of reports where panels caught fire after being damaged by hail then shorting out when heated by the sun.

I get the impression this is not a common occurrence in the RV world, and that proper installation + avoiding hail storms = nothing to worry about
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Look at my first photo. See how the shorter unequal length back part allows for the ladder to be tight up against the trailer.

You can't get that close with a conventional step ladder. If you put it sideways to be close to the trailer it's much less stable.

Plus the folding type is very versatile and can be used in many configurations.

Ron
I have kept a good quality 6' fibreglass ladder that gets a fair bit of use, but my folding type at 7' set up as a step is by far my favourite. Along with the factors you described it is also WAY sturdier and you can go up either side, something that is nice for putting one foot one either side for good stability when up high. As well, painting a stairwell or even putting up a platform on one using a ladder as a support just can't be done with a regular step ladder.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote