Solar Panel or Not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Solar Panel or Not?

Hi all. I'm in line for an Escape 17A and weighing in on whether or not to get a solar panel installed on the roof. I definitely plan to use a solar panel (no generator) but I'm not sure having it on the roof is the best option. I would appreciate the insight of those of you with experience, both with and without. I've put together a list of my perceived pros and cons below. One thought I had was to get a solar controller and Zamp port installed, but no panel on the roof and only use a portable solar panel; although I'm not sure if that is an option offered by ETI. Thanks in advance.

Pros of Panel on Roof
(perceived):
1. Convenience.
2. Battery is always on charge while in sunlight.
3. Battery is on charge while driving (although I assume the tow vehicle alternator handles this as well).
4. Doesn't take up storage room in trailer

Cons of Panel on the Roof (perceived):
1. Esthetically unattractive
2. Wind drag
3. Inefficient panel location and angle, especially while camped in shade.
4. More holes in the fiberglass with greater option for leak or failure.
5. Inability to maintain (clean, polish and wax) fiberglass below solar panel.
6. Hinders the use of a trailer cover while trailer is stored.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Out of sight on the rear roof, out of mind.....
Old 04-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Hi all. I'm in line for an Escape 17A and weighing in on whether or not to get a solar panel installed on the roof. I definitely plan to use a solar panel (no generator) but I'm not sure having it on the roof is the best option. I would appreciate the insight of those of you with experience, both with and without. I've put together a list of my perceived pros and cons below. One thought I had was to get a solar controller and Zamp port installed, but no panel on the roof and only use a portable solar panel; although I'm not sure if that is an option offered by ETI. Thanks in advance.

Pros of Panel on Roof
(perceived):
1. Convenience.
2. Battery is always on charge while in sunlight.
3. Battery is on charge while driving (although I assume the tow vehicle alternator handles this as well).
4. Doesn't take up storage room in trailer

The biggest pro, not mentioned, is that roof mounted panels do not tend to walk away from your trailer.

Somewhat debatable.

2. Wind drag

IMO, hardly a concern

Or in cloudy weather, or at night. Nothing solar works 100% of the time.

True, and a tree limb or a meteorite could punch a hole in your roof.

Not an issue. Under the panel no UV reaches the fiberglass. I have no problem cleaning under my panel or waxing the peripheral areas.

Again, debatable. Trailer covers do not fit “skin tight.”
IMO the pros far outweigh any cons. But why not get a portable panel to supplement a roof mounted panel. That way, solar power is available if you are set up in full shade. I would, however, find a way to cable a portable panel to a tree or whatever is available to discourage the opportunistic thief.
Please note these are my opinions. You need to determine what makes you comfortable, and build your trailer accordingly. I have a Zamp port, but do not have a portable panel. I just haven’t found it necessary, but I am not “off grid” frequently.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
6 0f one, 1/2 dozen of another

Got a quarter in your pocket? Flip it, and call heads or tails, making your decision based on that.

Every time you get something, you give something up. Roof mounted are wiser for sunny, desert, West or South West residents, portable panels potentially more useful for Northern owners (more trees).

FWIW, I have 2 100W portables, mostly because my rig came used, no solar and 1 of the panels is operable but replaced under warranty and they didn't want the degraded one back. Search Fudge Brownie member, he has good advice and cabling recommendations for a portable panel.

Either will work, equally well, depending on local conditions, your use, blah, blah.

I went portable, but could have gone either way. So far, glad I did.

With your CA location, I'd lean towards a fixed panel.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I prefer having each. The rooftop does the trick most of the time, and you can dig out the portable when parked in the shade or need more power. Most experts suggest at least 1 watt of solar per amp hour of storage, more if you typically camp in the shade or winter.

In my case, I have a 21 with a pair of 160 watt panels on the roof that can be tilted to take advantage of low winter sun angles. I also carry a 160 watt portable that I add when needed.

I dry camp all winter, and use more amp hours than most - 50 - 60 per day, but even when I had a 17, I had two panels on the roof for a total of 200 watts.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have two 40 watt portable panels.
I find myself getting out of my chair about every 15 minutes to shift the panels, because the sun refuses to stay in one spot.
I'd go with roof and a supplemental portable.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
From my one trip so far with both rooftop panels and a portable panel, it appeared to me that a panel on the ground is worth two on the roof, as you can aim the portable panel at the sun.

Given that, though, I would still suggest that you get a rooftop panel and have the trailer wired for a portable panel as well. You never have to think about the rooftop panel other than to clean it on occasion. And you can bring along a portable panel for the advantages that you mentioned.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You need to get up every 15 minutes

"I find myself getting out of my chair about every 15 minutes to shift the panels, because the sun refuses to stay in one spot."

They say, exercise is good, and isn't that about the time to get up, refresh your beverage, and chase that old Sun.

Kind of like cooking & flipping burgers on the barbie.

Wisely, others have suggested employing BOTH. A belt & suspenders approach works pretty well too.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
2. Wind drag
Just get Escape to install solar provisions and install your own system. Then you can install (bond or tape) a flexible panel to the skin of your trailer. It eliminates all your cons but number 3. If you put one and the front and one at the back it would help with that though. In my opinion the only con then is they are a little harder to change out is you need to, but they are also harder to steal.
There is lots of info on the forum about installation and use of flexible panels.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Get the roof panel to start with, as many pointed out it just does the work and you don’t have to baby it. You will find out quickly if your power needs are met and if not add a portable one, I agree with Mike Lewis “a panel on the ground is worth two on the roof”, having a 100w portable will save the day when you’re camping under trees and during times when the sun is low.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Another consideration is camping/travel expectations.

We figure we've been 75,000 to 80,000 miles in the last 7 years. Having a roof panel suits our needs. It's a great concept to have the batteries charged whenever we arrive some where. The tow vehicle's alternator is generally not that helpful for charging a trailer battery through the long/small wire going from the tow to the trailer. It helps, but I would not really rely on that method.

If you expect to be more of a stationary camper, the roof panel would not be as necessary. I wouldn't have an Escape without a roof panel, but that's just me.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Solar Panel

We purchased a used Escape 19 with a roof mounted solar and love it. We also have a 100 watt Renogy suitcase which we had when we had our Aliner Expedition, which we use if in a shady spot. If you decide not to get the panel installed I would get it wire for one in case you change your mind later.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I see a single panel on the back of the camper is a no-brainer. The rear panel is mounted correctly and at $710, fully installed, is a steal. Try to find a solar installer to install a rear panel properly for that amount.

I also see a "190 watt panel on the roof is worth a 100 watt panel on the ground."

Our 100 watt portable is rarely used and when it is used it's a PITA, but needed. We find we absolutely need both.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the optional solar panel that Escape installed and had them install the Zamp port as well; also have the original 6v gel batteries with 100amp hours of useable power. We are just in process of acquiring a 100 amp suitcase panel as well for when were in a shady spot and a small probably Honda or Yamaha 2200 generator. First time I've ever relied on solar and we really love it!

We use our Led lights at night, charge devices and often watch our 12v TV at night. We also make our toast in the morning and seldom get below 60% by morning sun. Our batteries are generally charged by midday on sunny days. Wow, quiet and convenience most of the time.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'd like to add that no matter how sophisticated your solar power and energy storage system is on your trailer, if you don't have any sun you'll eventually run out of juice. After four days in Redwood National Park last year with no sun on my rooftop or portable panels I was done. The fancy lithium ion batteries didn't matter; they became depleted just like any other batteries. I had to break camp and leave early, with my tail between my legs.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
the pros far outweigh the cons. in my opinion.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughtful comments. It sounds like an overwhelming thumbs up on the installed solar panel. I'll be checking that off on my build sheet. Virtually no one said the panel made putting a cover over the trailer is a problem, nor any leaks or failures due to additional holes in the shell. And I was pleased to hear that cleaning and waxing was not an issue. We've been using a GoPower 80 Watt suitcase panel with our tent trailer and found it was plenty to keep up with energy needs, but I'm guessing the Escape 17A will be a little more energy hungry.

Ian
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We are opting for two panels on the roof and a Zamp port on our 21NE that is on order. A majority of our travels will be boondocking, so it will serve us to have both. I have seen where a 21C owner puts a big blue tarp over the top of their trailer when in snow, so it makes it easier to clean off the snow when they are ready to get back on the road.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
When I put the cover on my trailer I use foam connectors to cover the corners , that keeps friction down.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:51 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have two 40 watt portable panels.
I find myself getting out of my chair about every 15 minutes to shift the panels, because the sun refuses to stay in one spot.
I'd go with roof and a supplemental portable.
realistically, every 2 hours or so is fine, 15 minutes is being way too fidgity. do you also adjust the tilt angle each time you move them? I used a 100W renogy solar suitcase with our old Casita and its group 27M. with the escape? rooftop works just fine.

i find that when I'm parked out in the open like I often am when dry camping, my dual golf cart batts are fully charged by the 160W roof panels by about 10 or 11am. if we've run the furnace all night long, the batteries might be down 10 or 20% pre dawn. lighting, water pump, phone charging use hardly enough power to measure.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
optional, roof mount, solar panel