Solar panels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2023, 10:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Solar panels

We have a 21C with solar panels. While having our stove replaced (and our LP detector as it was alarming all the time) the service guy said that because we have solar panels, we should never leave the RV plugged into electric power as it causes the batteries to overcharge.
Is there any truth to this
Chipperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
I am skeptical of his claim. Here is how I understand it. Plugging in will route power through the converter to charge the batts, but the converter will see their state of charge and act accordingly. The solar controller likewise sees the SOC and acts accordingly. You could even attach a portable panel with another solar controller to the batteries, and it would do the same: each one will read the SOC and if the voltage is high enough each will stop charging.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:40 AM   #3
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperd View Post
We have a 21C with solar panels. While having our stove replaced (and our LP detector as it was alarming all the time) the service guy said that because we have solar panels, we should never leave the RV plugged into electric power as it causes the batteries to overcharge.
Is there any truth to this

Mike G is correct. I've done it at home for a week, pre-cooling my refrigerator and getting ready for a trip. No issues at all. IMO the service guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It is more likely that the solar controller is setting off your propane detector.

The propane detector in a trailer with internal batteries (5.0 & 21C) can be set off during the equalization stage produced by either a converter or solar controller. Not all converters have an equalization stage (the WFCO that comes with most Escapes does not) while most solar controllers can be configured so that they do.

During equalization chargers typically produce 15V+ for a short period of time to desulfate lead acid batteries. The over voltage produces hydrogen off gassing which sets off the propane detector. The hydrogen gas leaks around the battery cover even with the vent.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Totally bogus, Chipperd. My trailer batteries are connected to my solar panels and I currently (sic) also am connected to shore power in my back yard now, and been for months. After all, what's a converter for, anyway?
Old 03-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Jon,
I agree with you. The issue is more common on Escape 21’s with the detector just outside the battery box under the passenger side rear seat. Only a problem with flooded batteries that I am aware. This also occurs at 2:00 am (or thereabouts) when connected to shore power.

My solution was AGM batteries.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I’m trying to give the tech the benefit of the doubt. Older, single stage chargers would overcharge, cause off-gassing and reduce the life of batteries if left plugged in. Modern solar controllers and smart three and four-stage chargers like the WFCO (stock) and Progressive Dynamics (popular upgrade) will not overcharge batteries.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:07 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’m trying to give the tech the benefit of the doubt. Older, single stage chargers would overcharge, cause off-gassing and reduce the life of batteries if left plugged in. Modern solar controllers and smart three and four-stage chargers like the WFCO (stock) and Progressive Dynamics (popular upgrade) will not overcharge batteries.

And we have a winner folks!

Enjoy,

Perry