Some last minute changes... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some last minute changes...

My unit is now in production and there have been some last minute changes. I have decided upon installing the Dometic 3 way 3' refer in lieu of the 5' 2 way Dometic. My decision was based upon conversations with Reace and research in the various forums re: Dometic. The smaller unit has been more or less unchanged for almost 20 years and it's track record has been proven and is stellar. Reace said he is having trouble obtaining the 5' bigger units. With the smaller unit, Reace will lower the microwave and install a pantry above for additional storage. Although it will draw about 12 ah on 12v, between the solar and my tow vehicle Reace feels it is a viable choice. The freezer is the same size, just one shelf less in the refer section. I have 2 practically new Coleman coolers that would have been relegated to the attic that can now be placed in service for liquid refreshment and keep only food stuff in the refer. Compared to the 1.7' that I had in the Egg Camper, 3.0 will be huge. My T@da had 2x 1.7 refers and I had plenty of room so I feel the 3.0 is a wise choice and I like the 12v option if needed.
I also verified that the Atwood Everest Star 8012 is the furnace and it's draw is less than 2 ah while in operation, something I really wanted.
Also the unit will be shipped to North Carolina as we now have another 19' coming East and this will save on shipping costs to the point where it will be the same as me driving out and back to Chilliwack. Gee, my passport came yesterday. Looks like my next trip out west will not be as rushed as this one would have been.
Your comments are always welcome...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: Some last minute changes...

Great! perhaps you can enjoy more of the west coast.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

It's interesting that the person in North Carolina ordered a new Escape 19' sight unseen. I have had the advantage of seeing one in person. Either way, I think this forum and it's members as well as Fiberglass RV have nothing but positive comments regarding Escape that people trying to decide make their decisions upon what we say and discuss on the forums. Something to think about!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Good that you can save yourself that very difficult trip situation. You can use your time to camp in your new Escape.

I would suppose that they sell many more 3' refrigerators but also wonder how much trouble they have had with the 5's. Or if someone else is selling 5's.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 17

Is the Atwood Everest Star 8012 2ah standard equipment or a special request you made? Thanks.

edit, Would you or anyone know if that Dometic 3 way 3' refer is the same one that comes standard in the 17 footer?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
Is the Atwood Everest Star 8012 2ah standard equipment or a special request you made? Thanks.

edit, Would you or anyone know if that Dometic 3 way 3' refer is the same one that comes standard in the 17 footer?
Standard to both your questions..
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

We have the 5.0 cu.ft fridge in our 19 and really like it. No problems so far. What sort of issues have there been with the 5.0 fridge? And, if it's being discontinued, where can we get parts should the thing break down? May be a good question for Reace since he deals with Dometic.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #8

Dometic has been around forever and a lot of parts are interchangeable. I think the change was more marketing but I wouldn't worry. Spoken from the guy who bought both a Sony BetaMax and RCA VideoDisc player and the T@da trailer in it's final year of production!!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Just to explain the RM2510 5 cu ft fridge issue....

Just to clarify, the fridge is not being discontinued, Dometic is no longer selling them to me. Odd, but here's the deal....The RM2510 is now being built only as a replacement fridge for older units and Dometic does not want them installed in new units. I think it just took them this long to realize where they were all going!

The down side is there is not much else to choose from that will fit through the door of the trailers. I am working with Dometic and will inform as I know more.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
My unit is now in production and there have been some last minute changes. I have decided upon installing the Dometic 3 way 3' refer in lieu of the 5' 2 way Dometic. My decision was based upon conversations with Reace and research in the various forums re: Dometic. The smaller unit has been more or less unchanged for almost 20 years and it's track record has been proven and is stellar. Reace said he is having trouble obtaining the 5' bigger units. With the smaller unit, Reace will lower the microwave and install a pantry above for additional storage. Although it will draw about 12 ah on 12v, between the solar and my tow vehicle Reace feels it is a viable choice. The freezer is the same size, just one shelf less in the refer section. I have 2 practically new Coleman coolers that would have been relegated to the attic that can now be placed in service for liquid refreshment and keep only food stuff in the refer. Compared to the 1.7' that I had in the Egg Camper, 3.0 will be huge. My T@da had 2x 1.7 refers and I had plenty of room so I feel the 3.0 is a wise choice and I like the 12v option if needed.
I also verified that the Atwood Everest Star 8012 is the furnace and it's draw is less than 2 ah while in operation, something I really wanted.
Also the unit will be shipped to North Carolina as we now have another 19' coming East and this will save on shipping costs to the point where it will be the same as me driving out and back to Chilliwack. Gee, my passport came yesterday. Looks like my next trip out west will not be as rushed as this one would have been.
Your comments are always welcome...
Hi: cpaharley... Passport to Niagara Wine Escape Maybe Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

[/quote]Hi: cpaharley... Passport to Niagara Wine Escape Maybe Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
[/quote]

you are on my list of possibles, too bad I missed you in Tennessee @ Townsend