Spare heater questions…what do you recommend? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2022, 10:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
From my search, they are catalytic propane heaters. If not that, what are they?
Well then, can you tell me what catalyst is used in the burner of the Buddy heater? If you can find a reference to a catalyst in those heaters, I'll be happy to accept this new information and revise my understanding.
A catalytic heater is a flameless heat source that uses chemical reactions to break down molecules and produce heat. In the presence of a catalyst, which is within the heater, counter-current combustion or catalytic combustion occurs when natural gas (or liquid propane gas) in the presence of oxygen creates carbon dioxide, water, and heat. In this situation, the ignition temperature of natural gas occurs at substantially lower temperatures. Therefore no flame is involved in the combustion process, and far-infrared wave emitters are created, producing radiant heat. Once the oxidation begins, the reaction and heating continue until either the oxygen or fuel source eliminates. The thermal efficiency of catalytic heating is also significantly higher than conventional heating.
Source: https://www.lincenergysystems.com/bl...c-heater-work/

One might say that catalytic heater does not "burn" propane, it catalyzes propane flamelessly at a lower temperature than a normal burn. Platinum is often used as the catalyst. It's the catalyst that virtually eliminates the production of carbon monoxide, so long as the oxygen level is sufficient (if O2 dips too low, even the catalytic starts making significant CO). I've always read that a Buddy heater still makes a fair bit of CO whenever it's burning propane.

A true catalytic heater is flameless once it gets warmed up. explains some details, and you can see the flame on the Buddy.

Mr. Heater does make true catalytic heaters, but they are the Journey series heaters, not the Buddy series. Note the price difference between the two! The Journey's description says, "This heater utilizes a catalytic medium..." Good luck finding that statement on the mfr's Buddy series.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have installed an auxiliary electric heater in every Escape I have owned, 4 so far and plan on replicating it again in #5. I install a wall mounted, usually under dinette or bed Similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/Broan-Heater-...813156978&th=1
I have had one of these since 2014. The built in thermostat is a pain. I added a relay and a regular battery powered residential thermostat mounted on the wall and is very convenient.

Honeywell RC840T-120 relay from Amazon.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Watched the video

I stand corrected. My Mr. Buddy is not a catalytic heater. 'Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for posting the video link.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I would be concerned that a heater mounted at the foot of the bed platform might catch the bedding on fire.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I would be concerned that a heater mounted at the foot of the bed platform might catch the bedding on fire.

Me too as I have extra long fleece blankets that hang way over the bed at night (keep my toes warm as they hang over the edge a bit.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I stand corrected. My Mr. Buddy is not a catalytic heater. 'Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for posting the video link.

Ditto................and interesting

The Wave 3 was catalytic though.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Nice! -Does it have a fan?
Yes, a very quiet fan.

I tweaked the louvers on the grill and did air flow tests. The heated air goes down the front of the kitchen cabinets to the dinette. The bed gets the indirect heat.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-10-2019 4-15-49 PM_0005_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #28

Brand & model info?

Ahoy,
Not intending now to install a similar unit, but if I ever do, your info could be helpful. Can you please provide the Brand & model info?
thank you,
Old 04-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We got this and love it! Quiet, programmable, oscillates. What more could you ask for? ��

Dreo 1500W Space Heater, 70°... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CT78HT8...p_mob_ap_share
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A lot of people never read the instructions that come with a heating unit. For my inexpensive Honeywell 1,500 watt cube heater, with fan, you turn it up all the way. When the temp is comfortable, you turn the knob down to the point where the fan shuts off. That sets the comfortable temp. You don't set a number.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Me too as I have extra long fleece blankets that hang way over the bed at night (keep my toes warm as they hang over the edge a bit.
I was concerned also. Before I even used it I repurposed a rack for delicate items from a washing machine to act as a guard. Ended up realizing that it wasn't needed. Your comfort level may vary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I was concerned also. Before I even used it I repurposed a rack for delicate items from a washing machine to act as a guard. Ended up realizing that it wasn't needed. Your comfort level may vary.

Ron
The heat output is far below ignition level.....
Old 04-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #33

Brand & model info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, a very quiet fan.

I tweaked the louvers on the grill and did air flow tests. The heated air goes down the front of the kitchen cabinets to the dinette. The bed gets the indirect heat.

Ron
Ahoy,
Not intending now to install a similar unit, but if I ever do, your info could be helpful. Can you please provide the Brand & model info?
thank you,
Old 04-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
We use a Travasak so loose bedding is not an issue. Is like a big sleeping bag. They are no longer made. The RV Superbag is similar and still made. Solves bed making too. Sheets are velcrowed in place.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I like the built-in idea. For now we just use a Caframo True North when we have full hookups. It's pretty low profile and can be stored easily. I think I would just bundle up if we didn't have hookups and the furnace went on the fritz. If it can't be fixed quickly, spend more time around the fire bowl or the end of the trip if the weather doesn't cooperate.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #36

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
the Houghton Ac systems have a built in heat pump as opposed to a heat strip. Haven't used mine yet but could have used it 2 weeks ago in Georgia (first trip). Houghton wasn't installed at the time
Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
King Electric, Model PAW

We installed the King model PAW just below the the propane furnace. We reinforced the heating element attachments to withstand trailer abuse. We really don't camp in extreme winter conditions, but this works well for January in the Florida panhandle when we have 120 V. It provides a gentle and quiet heat throughout the night. If its it a little cold in the AM when we get up, 10 minutes of the propane furnace will get the 5.0 TA nice and toasty: https://king-electric.com/product/model-paw/

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210921_3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	62331
Old 05-01-2022, 07:55 AM   #38

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
We installed the King model PAW just below the the propane furnace. We reinforced the heating element attachments to withstand trailer abuse. We really don't camp in extreme winter conditions, but this works well for January in the Florida panhandle when we have 120 V. It provides a gentle and quiet heat throughout the night. If its it a little cold in the AM when we get up, 10 minutes of the propane furnace will get the 5.0 TA nice and toasty: https://king-electric.com/product/model-paw/

Attachment 62331
Hi George,

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been looking for this type of heater to put under a step, & the size of this one looks perfect!

Be well,
Lorraine

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm fairly sure the Buddy heaters are not catalytic, although they are decent LP heaters.
They are catalytic propane heaters. But, like any use of propane inside the living space they pump out a ton of moisture. 1.6 pounds of moisture for every pound of propane consumed.

Proper ventilation just to avoid O2 deprivation (per the instructions) is a 9 square inches opening at the floor and a second 9 square inch opening at the ceiling.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A lot of people never read the instructions that come with a heating unit. For my inexpensive Honeywell 1,500 watt cube heater, with fan, you turn it up all the way. When the temp is comfortable, you turn the knob down to the point where the fan shuts off. That sets the comfortable temp. You don't set a number.

For my small electric space heater I use this:

DIGITEN Temperature Controller Wireless Thermostat Outlet Plug-in Temperature Controller with Remote Control Temperature Build-in Sensor

You set the temperature on the remote that I keep next to the bed and it turns the heater on and off holding the temperature to a one degree range.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote