Splice Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Splice Box

For those who have never opened the splice box where the 7 pin comes into the trailer, here is what mine looks like. Mine is located under the DS dinette bench, but I hear some models it is under DS on the exterior.
As I wire up for Lithium batteries, I’m initially thinking of getting rid of the splice box and putting a + and - bus bar and wiring block on my utilities board and connecting with those. This makes adding items easy and clear labeling can be put on each connection for troubleshooting issues later. I’m not a big fan of the 4 feeds from the charge line in a big wire nut with oodles of electrical tape.
Not quite sure if there was a bad connection here, how one would ever find it to repair.
Attached Thumbnails
157E582D-6B5F-4ADF-8E8B-7E30E62B6264.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Wish I had a picture of it to post but on my Starcraft the splice was a big wad of electrical tape. You're not putting the busbars in a box?
Old 12-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #3

No I'll mount the bus bars and wiring block on a 1/2" pressboard base I'm putting in for the batteries and some of the equipment like the shunt. They have plastic covers that snap over the connections to protect from items falling on them, etc.
It appears the Victron MPPT controller is recommended to be mounted vertically and not horizontal, so I'll have to look at the space where I can put a board on the interior of the bench for vertical items to be mounted.
I'm sure some splice boxes on trailers are a total mess. The 20+ year old Scamps that I've redone, were total train wrecks on wiring and I changed them all over to bus bar and wiring blocks that were clearly labeled or easily traceable.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The later trailers used a standard 7-pin junction box instead of a splice box.

It might be cleaner and less hassle later on when you need to replace the 7-pin cable if you used one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
7 way JB.jpg  
Old 12-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The later trailers used a standard 7-pin junction box instead of a splice box.

It might be cleaner and less hassle later on when you need to replace the 7-pin cable if you used one of these.

2X
Here is a photo of mine after making changes when adding a DC to DC converter in order to power the breakaway & tongue jack:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1661.jpg  
Old 12-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

Oooh, I like that option, Tom. I've added it to the list and will consider. Might be a good time to have a whole brand new cable and 7pin while doing this. Price is good too.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
2X
Here is a photo of mine after making changes when adding a DC to DC converter in order to power the breakaway & tongue jack:
Wow, Jon, what a difference in how they did things from 2015 to 2017. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade the 7pin cable to what you, Tom, and the later trailers already apparently have.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wow, Jon, what a difference in how they did things from 2015 to 2017. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade the 7pin cable to what you, Tom, and the later trailers already apparently have.
I have the same as you Greg and see this upgrade in my future. Was thinking about just buying the box but at almost 11 years old now maybe a replacement of the 7 pin harness/plug is a good idea. As you already know be sure to keep all your connections straight - in both photos from you and Jon (and now also Tom) it appears that red (left turn/stop) from the 7 pin is connecting to a yellow wire on the trailer side. Whereas the yellow from the 7 pin is typically not used on our trailers (reverse lights) and you can see Jon has it safed off. I think this explains why:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post145608
Old 12-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #9

Here's a pic of the breakout box on my trailer. It's mounted on the inside frame rail between the storage box and the front of the trailer using two self tapping screws.

I redid the factory wiring lugs using crimped, soldered, and heat shrinked lugs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180615_191433.jpg  
Old 12-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I redid the factory wiring lugs using crimped, soldered, and heat shrinked lugs.
Thanks for adding that. It didn't look anywhere near that good from the factory unfortunately!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here is the picture of my 2018 box under the trailer and there is even room for a water resistant switch.
In Canada the boxes are on sale for the next few days. Good for all sorts of projects in the trailer. I always have one on hand.
Attached Thumbnails
97F8107F-1E0E-496D-B307-235611A7C36C.jpg   7331D000-DDD5-402C-9A7A-B88B2FF4AC05.jpg   2804A44C-E17C-42FF-8289-92C7D73BEE42.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #12

What is the "secret squirrel" switch for Ed? If I render a guess it's a shutoff for the tongue jack....
Old 12-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #13

I've had a number of trailer 7 pin connectors (plugs) fail, ie lose contact on one or more pins with the original as well as a couple of replacement plugs. I eventually broke down and bought an expensive one that was recommended. It has not lost any connections, fits much tighter in the truck connector than the others I've used, and the LEDs are handy for checking whether any problems are with the truck or trailer.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
What is the "secret squirrel" switch for Ed? If I render a guess it's a shutoff for the tongue jack....
Yup.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post271270
Old 12-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've had a number of trailer 7 pin connectors (plugs) fail, ie lose contact on one or more pins with the original as well as a couple of replacement plugs. I eventually broke down and bought an expensive one that was recommended. It has not lost any connections, fits much tighter in the truck connector than the others I've used, and the LEDs are handy for checking whether any problems are with the truck or trailer.
Thanks Jon. So maybe my best bet is the 7 pin umbilical that you linked coupled with a junction box rather than buying the package.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thanks Jon. So maybe my best bet is the 7 pin umbilical that you linked coupled with a junction box rather than buying the package.
Up to you. Since I already had the Escape provided junction box I never tried the plug that comes with the linked junction box - it might be OK. I just got tired of loose plugs lighting up my dashboard safety notices & wondering if my lights & brakes were working. Since I was replacing my poor quality plug I asked an eTrailer rep for their best connector & that was the one they suggested. So far, so good!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation

Quote:
..... Whereas the yellow from the 7 pin is typically not used on our trailers (reverse lights) and you can see Jon has it safed off. ....
Doh, I hadn't 'clicked' on the realization that Escape trailers don't have reverse lights until reading this and then referring more attentively to rear-end pics on ETI's website!

Gonna have to 'remedy' that (no worries), as a solo-traveler relying on mirror-vision I find them useful when maneuvering in tight-quarters after dark.

Love this forum and the tidbits of info found herein - I can deal with mods but dislike 'after-delivery surprises' that expose my lack of due-diligence.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Doh, I hadn't 'clicked' on the realization that Escape trailers don't have reverse lights until reading this and then referring more attentively to rear-end pics on ETI's website!
Most trailers don't, possibly because most tow vehicles are not wired to provide the reverse lamp circuit... and more importantly, that wiring is not consistent. But the centre pin is there and the wire is in the umbilical if you want to add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Gonna have to 'remedy' that (no worries), as a solo-traveler relying on mirror-vision I find them useful when maneuvering in tight-quarters after dark.
An alternative is to add the lamps to the trailer but don't bother with the wiring on the tow vehicle, and just switch the lamps on when desired. You presumably wouldn't normally back the trailer into a site (especially at night) without getting out to look first, so manual switching shouldn't be too inconvenient.

For what you can see in the tow vehicle's mirrors, "docking lamps" - mounted on the side of the trailer ahead of the axle and facing rearward - would be much more useful than reverse lamps on the back of the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Most trailers don't, possibly because most tow vehicles are not wired to provide the reverse lamp circuit...
Guess I've been spoiled / lucky - my Casita has 'em, my parent's Airstreams that I ocassionally borrowed had 'em, and my previous 2-horse trailer with living quarters had 'em; and all the many TV's I've used with OE 7-pin RV connectors (Ford, GM, Honda) were wired to let 'em work as intended, plug-and-play, so whoever did the trailer and TV wiring respected the 'conventional' connector pin-assignments without regard to wire colors used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An alternative is to add the lamps to the trailer but don't bother with the wiring on the tow vehicle, and just switch the lamps on when desired. You presumably wouldn't normally back the trailer into a site (especially at night) without getting out to look first, so manual switching shouldn't be too inconvenient.
Fair enuf and correct, but as long as undertaking the mod the one wire to the 'splice box' isn't a big-deal at all (it's far from the only wire I already know I'll be 'fishing' past the bath in my 5.0) .... goes to that 'do it right' thing I'm burdened with
Old 12-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #20

Quote:
I've had good luck with the Mictuning set - much better quality than the set the trailer came with.

If you are going to buy the Hopkins, at least look for a better price than Etrailer. $68.40 vs $36.25.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-20146.../dp/B0007LL0CO