Split water hose in bathroom - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
are the fittings used with PEX where joints occur or right angles rated the same? For all internal water pipes does Escape use plastic fittings for joints and right angles where clamped or do they use metal fittings with metal clamps?
Haven't inspected trailer closely, but from a recent picture from Jim Bennett's new 5.0 there is clearly plastic 90 degree elbows with a copper crimp ring system shown in the right side of the shot. The plastic fittings I see online are all rated to 200°F and 200 psi. My experience are these are not simultaneous values. Just like the piping, the pressure rating of the fittings surely goes down with higher temperatures. Although the metal seems like it would be better and it would perform differently than the plastic, it still has the same generic 200°F and 200 psi listed online. Maybe a plumber can weigh in, but the bottom line is all the normal PEX components and joint connection systems are more than adequate for the application in an Escape potable water system. The issue at hand is due to the fact that this small section of hot water line up to the sink in the new 21 is not PEX or some other suitable alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00066-XL.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
PEX is a very good product and is used in most new houses these days. I have done my fair share of PEX work and I have seen the plastic couplings fail. In my opinion, NEVER use the plastic couplings. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...the Watts spec sheet says that if you get the 1/8" wall thickness, the working pressure at 70°F is 250 psi... far more than needed. The concern might be that high in the operating temperature range (which goes up to 125°F / 52°C), the allowable pressure might be substantially lower... and it is the hot water line which split. This is much more of an issue than it would be with PEX.
I think you are on to something here. The Suburban water heater is designed to maintain 130F water with naturally some overshoot possible. Temperature loss in the lines will be negligible in a small trailer. While it is not readily published, the pressure rating of PVC tubing is sharply reduced with increasing temperature.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In the new 21's is the necessary area accessible to run new sink risers??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
While we are on the subject of PEX, make sure that all of your PEX runs are covered. PEX should never be exposed to UV - on the 21's, take a look at the PEX runs under the trailer to the kitchen sink.

Foam insulation from builder supply makes a good cover and helps keep the hot water hot and the cold water cold.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #46

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
pex or not?

I sent ETI a email asking is there a recall for the plumbing for the bathroom ? I sent it this morning haven't heard back yet ? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
This is our short term solution until we can get the line changed out. We have the water heater running so we can use the kitchen sink and outdoor shower for dishes and such. The bathroom hot water line is cool as long as we don't run any water through it. Unfortunately we're going to have to look for campgrounds with showers or take a really cool (and really fast) wake-up shower.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
This is our short term solution until we can get the line changed out. We have the water heater running so we can use the kitchen sink and outdoor shower for dishes and such. The bathroom hot water line is cool as long as we don't run any water through it. Unfortunately we're going to have to look for campgrounds with showers or take a really cool (and really fast) wake-up shower.
What do you put your beer in now, Dave?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but how is the hot water line not leaking if it is still under system pressure?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but how is the hot water line not leaking if it is still under system pressure?
It supposedly is hot water that causes the crack, not just the pressure. With doing like Dave did, and not running hot water through the line, all should hold out until a fix is implemented.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
PEX is a very good product and is used in most new houses these days. I have done my fair share of PEX work and I have seen the plastic couplings fail. In my opinion, NEVER use the plastic couplings. Loren
Loren I checked and our lines in the 19 are plex . My question though just for information , what are the plastic couplings never should be used ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Loren I checked and our lines in the 19 are plex . My question though just for information , what are the plastic couplings never should be used ? Pat
The elbows and coupling for PEX can come in plastic or metal. For a while they also had a plastic snap on ring and those were a disaster. Use the metal couplings, make sure your crimper is calibrated properly and it's a done deal.

I didn't know that the lines under the sink in the trailers were changed from PEX to the other ones and didn't understand what had failed on Laura's trailer. It will be interesting to see what ETI comes up with. Even with PEX, it can only be bent so far without kinking. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What do you put your beer in now, Dave?
Oh crap! I knew I was forgetting something! Now I have a real crisis!!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
The elbows and coupling for PEX can come in plastic or metal. For a while they also had a plastic snap on ring and those were a disaster. Use the metal couplings, make sure your crimper is calibrated properly and it's a done deal.

I didn't know that the lines under the sink in the trailers were changed from PEX to the other ones and didn't understand what had failed on Laura's trailer. It will be interesting to see what ETI comes up with. Even with PEX, it can only be bent so far without kinking. Loren
Thanks Loren . Makes sense using metal after you crimp . The metal would stay unchanged when you crimp . I will check later but I believe with the plex they used metal . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #55
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello all...

Well, this one is turning into a doozy! Just when you think things are starting to go smooth...

Ok, yes...I recognize now this was the wrong line to use. It is only the 2017 21' models that we used this line on so none of the other models need to worry about this.

Tammy's team will be contacting all of the 2017 21' owners' to make them aware of the situation and clear info on our plan of attack to rectify the problem.

The fix...I want it fixed properly, and fixed quickly, so I will be embarking on a lengthy road trip to personally look after this error.

As this is a complicated fix, and limitations to get into service centers in a timely fashion, we feel this is the best way to address the problem. I am hoping to be able to find central locations along the way to meet up with the owners' whether they are traveling or near home. Hopefully I can resolve this issue before any more failures.

I am planning to head out early next week.

More to come...

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post

More to come...

Reace
Reace... you and your entire team (HI Tammy) at ETI, are the exact reason so many of us have purchased an ETI build. You ALWAYS want to have a better built trailer than the competition. Although Ten Forward is NOT among the builds that have this condition, I THANK you for stepping up to solve the problems for those owners.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

Well, this one is turning into a doozy! Just when you think things are starting to go smooth...

Ok, yes...I recognize now this was the wrong line to use. It is only the 2017 21' models that we used this line on so none of the other models need to worry about this.

Tammy's team will be contacting all of the 2017 21' owners' to make them aware of the situation and clear info on our plan of attack to rectify the problem.

The fix...I want it fixed properly, and fixed quickly, so I will be embarking on a lengthy road trip to personally look after this error.

As this is a complicated fix, and limitations to get into service centers in a timely fashion, we feel this is the best way to address the problem. I am hoping to be able to find central locations along the way to meet up with the owners' whether they are traveling or near home. Hopefully I can resolve this issue before any more failures.

More to come...

Reace
Reace,

I'm impressed by your commitment to your customers and your integrity for addressing the issue in a timely manner. Your commitment to a quality product is admirable.

Thanks!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Reace, hopefully you do not have too many new 21s out there. I was wondering what you were going to do about this. Yep, it is a definite doozy. Thank goodness it is "only" 21s.

Hope you will have a route that many can access. I'd say that this is where "going out of your way" applies. Great that you are taking care of this. We will look for the updates.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Absolutely unbelievable customer service. And some denigrate those of us who are die-hard fans of this company and its owners.

If I didn't have my "forever trailer" now, there's no doubt where I'd go for my next one.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #60

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'll try to post before and after photos tomorrow. I'm tired. Spent two hours at a rest stop waiting for the massive traffic (lots of accidents) to die down so I wouldn't have to kill my foot waiting in a parking lot, inching forward bit by bit.

Nigel stated there are very few trailers like mine out there, so I'm assuming that means the 2nd Gen style with the incorrect tubing, so hopefully Reace won't be fixing too many on the road. From what was posted here (and in a PM to me) trailers delivered since at least March didn't use this tubing.

To the person that asked about the belly band rivet issue - I asked one of the gals there and she said they're checking them when trailers come in for other things and she thinks an email will be sent at some point, but she wasn't 100% sure.

Kind of like the cup idea for the bathroom faucet. What color is used in the kitchen?

BTW, I do take my showers in the trailer bathroom. Hey, there's a showerhead in there for a reason, right? So, yeah, lots of hot water ran through that tube/hose.

As I stated before, I'm extremely glad I was in the trailer when it happened. Water could have been all over the trailer and even getting it taken care of, we would have always wondered if there would be mold issues down the road.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote