Springfield table pedestal heat/cold warning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Springfield table pedestal heat/cold warning

This winter our Springfield 3 stage pedestal with Escape table remained in the up position until we left last week for the south at which point I lowered it as we usually do for travel. On arrival here in Louisiana we found the pedestal not operating properly. It would only lift one stage and only by lifting it manually and then struggling to lock it in place could we use the table I removed the table and we now have a nice footstool!

We called Springfield this morning to find out that we could return the table for repair. However as second owners it's not under warranty so cost could probably not be worth it. We could stop by with the table however they are located near Springfield MO, and of course we went through Springfield on our way down and didn't plan on returning home that way.

The tech we spoke to said yes the pedestal could be affected by both hot and cold temperatures. So I recommend at this point if you're thinking of buying the pedestal and live in a climate with extreme cold or heat (we had one morning in Feb. with temp. of -62F with windchill) then consider the possibility of failure.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sorry to hear about the pedestal.
However, if I found myself in any temp of -62F, I would consider it a high possibility that I would fail.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the windchill factor which only impacts what you feel, the actual temperature is higher but the wind can make your skin feel colder. It does not impact inanimate objects.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is the windchill factor which only impacts what you feel, the actual temperature is higher but the wind can make your skin feel colder. It does not impact inanimate objects.
Yeah, but when it gets that cold ambient, it doesn't make much of a difference. [emoji33] Mechanical objects are usually designed to work best in the 70F Fahrenheit range. As luck would have it, so am I.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Tent - Looking to Upgrade
Being from WinterPeg originally, I feel your pain. Sorry about the table.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
This winter our Springfield 3 stage pedestal with Escape table remained in the up position until we left last week for the south at which point I lowered it as we usually do for travel. On arrival here in Louisiana we found the pedestal not operating properly. It would only lift one stage and only by lifting it manually and then struggling to lock it in place could we use the table I removed the table and we now have a nice footstool!

We called Springfield this morning to find out that we could return the table for repair. However as second owners it's not under warranty so cost could probably not be worth it. We could stop by with the table however they are located near Springfield MO, and of course we went through Springfield on our way down and didn't plan on returning home that way.

The tech we spoke to said yes the pedestal could be affected by both hot and cold temperatures. So I recommend at this point if you're thinking of buying the pedestal and live in a climate with extreme cold or heat (we had one morning in Feb. with temp. of -62F with windchill) then consider the possibility of failure.
Hi: emers382... Sorry!!! I don't have one and can't comment about a fix. You could eat oriental style, but you'll need chopsticks. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Another point for the Lagun mount😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I was told at ETI that it wasn’t necessary to lower the table with the Springfield, just to be sure the slide was “locked”. I’ve traveled over 12000 miles and never had a problem.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Another point for the Lagun mount😁
Before buying this trailer used we had considered buying new and getting a Lagun. Now it looks like we may be doing that anyway.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Put mine in day 1 and it's been working fine.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Guys... As with dancers... there are swingers and there are pumpers!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

Springfield replaced pedestal

It was worth changing our route home so that we could stop at Springfield Marine. We took in the defective pedestal and they replaced it under warranty
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I was told at ETI that it wasn’t necessary to lower the table with the Springfield, just to be sure the slide was “locked”. I’ve traveled over 12000 miles and never had a problem.
Springfield customer service guy yesterday said to travel with the pedestal in lowered position. Just don't drop it when it's very cold or very hot.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Springfield pedestal

Had the Springfield Pedestal in my 19 for 4 years and now have it in my 21 that we have been traveling in for 5 months...always leave it up and convert it down for grandkid sleeping...always works fine.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Adrian,

Sorry to hear about the pedestal issues. I hope this was an isolated problem.

We do travel with the pedestal down, but have not been in severely cold temperatures. After traveling two years full time in our 21’, ours is still ticking.

For those considering a Springfield Pedestal for their new rig, I would still recommend it.

Thanks,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

It says on the Springfield website that the pedestal is gas operated, at very hot or cold temps....especially cold the seals would be susceptible to failing and thus you would lose the gas, that is why the section would not stay up...no gas to hold it. In the future I would wait for warmer climates to move the pedestal or warm up the trailer, this will warm up the pedestal and its seals which would not be too pliable at very low temps.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
It says on the Springfield website that the pedestal is gas operated, at very hot or cold temps....especially cold the seals would be susceptible to failing and thus you would lose the gas, that is why the section would not stay up...no gas to hold it. In the future I would wait for warmer climates to move the pedestal or warm up the trailer, this will warm up the pedestal and its seals which would not be too pliable at very low temps.
That is certainly the plan for next winter, to leave the table down before the winter and not lift it until we reach warmer climes on our trip south.

Fred thanks for your comment. I would still recommend the table especially since they replaced it without question.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
That is certainly the plan for next winter, to leave the table down before the winter and not lift it until we reach warmer climes on our trip south.

Wouldn’t it be better to leave the pedestal extended (table up) during cold storage? Extended = lower internal pressure, which I’d think would = lower chance of seal failure.

Ours is up almost all the time, including during travel, and only gets put down at night as bed for the kiddos. Then back up in the morn for breakfast.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have always left my Springfield pedestal in the up position and have no problems with it in over two years now. If it is securely latched in this position I do not really see an issue with it, though secure in the lowered position would be just fine too.

I guess time will tell, as I doubt we will change now. Too old for that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
So towing with the Springfield in the up position works OK? At orientation, they told us to always put it down for towing, which is what we have done. Would certainly be more convenient to just leave it up. Wonder if the reason for saying always tow with table in the down position relates to torque on the screws holding it to the floor if towing in up position?
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote