standard dual 6v wet cell battery vs AGM batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
standard dual 6v wet cell battery vs AGM batteries

Hi.
We are trying to decide if we should get the standard dual 6V batteries that ETI provides or AGM batteries that we would have to purchase with pre-approval by ETI. We are not excited about having to check the fluid levels on the batteries but are there any downsides on the AGM batteries we should be aware of. ETI did provide me recommendations on previously approved AGM batteries. We would want ETI to install for us and since we are doing delivery, recommendation is to purchase thru Amazon Canada who could ship direct to ETI. Thanks for any recommendations.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd go AGM for any indoor battery install, which was not an option back in 2014 when I got my trailer. I run into a problem wit the propane alarm going off when the solar is charging the batteries at a high rate. Contrary to what I'm told, I can smell the battery off gassing.

Not having to check the water levels would be a 2ndary benefit to me.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd go AGM for any indoor battery install, which was not an option back in 2014 when I got my trailer. I run into a problem wit the propane alarm going off when the solar is charging the batteries at a high rate. Contrary to what I'm told, I can smell the battery off gassing.

2X. I would have changed to AGM, but instead went with lithium for the same reasons.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't find checking the water level a couple times a year that much of a PITA. Only takes a few minutes. Good excuse to check the entire compartment too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't find checking the water level a couple times a year that much of a PITA. Only takes a few minutes. Good excuse to check the entire compartment too.
If you spend lots of time hitting the batteries hard with solar while dry camping, you will need to check more often. I found that in winter I had to check every couple of months. I also found that heavy use set off the propane detector far more often. I rarely had it go off when camping with electrical hookups.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Money wise it maybe best to get the dual 6 volts with the 'option package' and later on, once they start to fail, replace with AGM, or even lithium if they have come less expensive by then.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
Hi.
but are there any downsides on the AGM batteries we should be aware of.

The big downside, and the only one I know of, is the 3X price premium you pay for good quality AGMs over standard batteries.

But there are a number of advantages over standard batteries. My personal favorite is the lower self-discharge that allows me to keep the batteries in the trailer over the winter without worrying about them loosing power and therefore becoming more susceptible to freezing.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Money wise it maybe best to get the dual 6 volts with the 'option package' and later on, once they start to fail, replace with AGM, or even lithium if they have come less expensive by then.

Not that I had a choice, but I keep putting off AGM's and living with the alarm problem because the flooded cell batteries just keep on running. Going into the 7th year with them. That's why, given the option, I'd go AGM from the get go.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
wonda for the cost of there batteries. I would get them and try them you can always change.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 - 19
If money is no object - and it usually is - I’d go with lithium. FWIW My 19 has 2x 6V GC2.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
The big downside, and the only one I know of, is the 3X price premium you pay for good quality AGMs over standard batteries.
We didn't buy into the Lifeline hype. We purchased Crown AGM's that were at least $200 cheaper.

AGM's charge .001% faster and I'm too lazy and lack the intelligence to check water levels at the appropriate time. AGM's work fine for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

AGM's charge .001% faster ...
AGM's could charge a bit faster - if, and this is a big if, your charging device can provide more power. Most of us Escapes are likely constrained to the small solar amperage or the medium amperage provided by the converter. I wouldn't make the charging rate part of my value equation.

But lazy? You bet! I practice lazy as a fine art form. Keep the batteries in the trailer all winter and look at them once per year, say I.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been running AGMs for 4 years now. At least I think I am, that is what is installed, but I haven't checked them in 3 years now and everything is working fine on the 12V end of things.

They charge way faster, and you can discharge them to 80% as opposed to 50% for flooded.Though AGM costs can be near twice as much to buy, they last a lot longer too. Equalizing not needed on AGM.

Most solar installations for home use have gone away from flooded now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Contrary to currently accepted “myth,” AGM batteries do not totally eliminate false propane alarms. It is true that flooded lead are very susceptible to offgassing, and proximity of the propane alarm to the battery box in 5.0TAs of mine’s vintage resulted in excessive false alarms. Switching to AGMs did not completely eliminate false alarms for me, but greatly reduced them. I put a circuit breaker/switch on the in input line from my solar panel, and with the battery cutoff switch, I am able to charge with either the converter or the solar panel. Using only one of the two at a time has almost entirely eliminated false alarms. My decision as to which charging source I will turn off depends on how much sunlight is reaching the panel and whether or not I have connections. False propane alarms are disconcerting, especially when they jolt you out of a dream at 3:00 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I personally did find checking water to be a PITA, because I had to move all the cushions in the wrap-around dinette over the top of the table which is permanently mounted on a Springfield pedestal to the sleeping loft. Then I had to partially rotate the table for easier access to the battery box. After checking each cell, the “disassembly” process had to be reversed. The entire process took 20 to 30 minutes with a bit of body contortion involved. The solution was to install a battery watering system from which I ran the tube to the (optional) rear outside storage compartment. The tube was inserted into a container of distilled water and a few squeezes of a bulb added the correct amount of water to each cell, or didn’t add any if the cells were filled to the proper level. The entire procedure could be completed in less than two minutes. Battery watering systems can be purchased online, at many RV parts retailers, or (Ugh) Camping World. They typically cost around $60, but in my opinion, mostly a result of my dislike of what battery maintenance involved, it was well worth the price. YMMV