Sticker/decal removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Edmonds, Washington
Trailer: Casita 2006
Posts: 18
Sticker/decal removal

So my 2012 19’ had purple decals. I started removing the decals and used. Acetone to get residue off. Everything looks good but since my trailer is not new and my trailer is a little faded. I can see nice polished fiberglass lines still. Any helpful tips to remove those? Is the only way to buff the trailer? I don’t really want to do that unless I have to.
Bodhi290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: San Jose, California
Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Posts: 260
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7bcbab773c6f89

This product will remove the glue and reduce the shadowing left behind. If the paint is really faded there may not be much you can do.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:58 AM   #3
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,152
there is no paint on an Escape, its a fiberglass gel coat.

use a mild rubbing compound followed by a polishing compound should reduce any shadowing left behind from old decals. use marine compounds designed for fiberglass boats.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chasing Trials's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Near Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2013 E19
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi290 View Post
So my 2012 19’ had purple decals. I started removing the decals and used. Acetone to get residue off. Everything looks good but since my trailer is not new and my trailer is a little faded. I can see nice polished fiberglass lines still. Any helpful tips to remove those? Is the only way to buff the trailer? I don’t really want to do that unless I have to.

You are going to have buff(could try polishing compound 1st, before going to rubbing compound). You just have to get down to a layer that the UV rays & weather aging damage are the same, as not(hiding under the decals).
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,047
The area behind the decals is 'gelcoat' untouched by UVs. You'll need to compound and polish the area to bring the surface around the decal area to shine as close to new as possible..
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi290 View Post
So my 2012 19’ had purple decals. I started removing the decals and used. Acetone to get residue off. Everything looks good but since my trailer is not new and my trailer is a little faded. I can see nice polished fiberglass lines still. Any helpful tips to remove those? Is the only way to buff the trailer? I don’t really want to do that unless I have to.
I'm thinking of removing the front decal on our 21. What did you use to remove the decals themselves, and how did that process go? I've never really liked the look of the front decal (it's so big on the 21) and now that it has faded, the trailer would look better without it. On the other hand, I'm always wary of fixing one thing and introducing a new problem.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: San Jose, California
Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Posts: 260
The way body shops remove vinyl decals: Worm up the decal with a heat gun or hair blower and a plastic razor blade. Do not get the area to worm or the fiberglass can be damaged,
Be patient and don’t rush while warming up the decal you’ll get a feel for it after just a few minutes. There are some really good you tube videos showing how to remove a vinyl decal.

The best product to remove the glue is
)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7bcbab773c6f89

It is not cystic and will not hurt the gel coat..

Plastic razor blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Scrapers-Cont...a-825766221071
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HABBERDABBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison area, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Posts: 1,756
Corrections

Not to be a nit picking stickler, but I think you meant warm, not worm.
And I hope you meant caustic, not cystic.
And to save some money, lighter fluid, aka naptha, does a swell job of removing label adhesives and is a good bit less expensive than the amazon offering.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
The way body shops remove vinyl decals: Worm up the decal with a heat gun or hair blower and a plastic razor blade. Do not get the area to worm or the fiberglass can be damaged,
Be patient and don’t rush while warming up the decal you’ll get a feel for it after just a few minutes. There are some really good you tube videos showing how to remove a vinyl decal.

The best product to remove the glue is
)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7bcbab773c6f89

It is not cystic and will not hurt the gel coat..

Plastic razor blade:
https://www.amazon.com/Scrapers-Cont...a-825766221071
Thank you so much - very helpful!!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: San Jose, California
Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Not to be a nit picking stickler, but I think you meant warm, not worm.
And I hope you meant caustic, not cystic.
And to save some money, lighter fluid, aka naptha, does a swell job of removing label adhesives and is a good bit less expensive than the amazon offering.
Correct on both words, I typed “worn” wrong. Auto correct changed caustic..

As the safety office at work, no to anything that can be dangerous when there is a safer product available. Especial when the safer product works really well or is good. LOL
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:19 PM   #11
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,152
The amazon remover stuff is, per its MSDS, 25-50% d-Limonene, it also contains a bunch of heavy alcohols and petroleum distillates. the amazon listing just described it as water soluble, which IMHO is kind of misleading even if true. It does sound like an industrial version of goo-be-gone, which i believe is orange oil based
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 841
Rapid Remover is the way to go. Used it on our Rpod when we removed the decals. Followed by Meguiar's #67 followed by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze. For light oxidation this stuff will most likely work as well https://www.amazon.com/each-Turtle-P...BoChnwQAvD_BwE
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I'm thinking of removing the front decal on our 21. What did you use to remove the decals themselves, and how did that process go? I've never really liked the look of the front decal (it's so big on the 21) and now that it has faded, the trailer would look better without it. On the other hand, I'm always wary of fixing one thing and introducing a new problem.
Whoa up on the heat gun advice.

It's all I ever use and even on old vinyl that's been baked on for years it'll allow it to be removed in one piece.

But the graphic on the rock shield is in a different league. Not sure if it's thin ABS or PVC but I'm sure using a heat gun on it could result in a disaster. A lot of care would be needed. I think that I'd try a solvent at the edge and work it off slowly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 363
A hair dryer would work and not get as hot as a heat gun. When you start peeling the vinyl, don’t pull outward, pull the vinyl back on itself, kind of in a rolling motion. A plastic putty knife or credit card can be used to help lift the vinyl. Then use Goo Gone or coconut oil or something like that to remove any sticky residue.
__________________
Sharon.
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:30 PM   #15
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
A hair dryer would work and not get as hot as a heat gun. When you start peeling the vinyl, don’t pull outward, pull the vinyl back on itself, kind of in a rolling motion. A plastic putty knife or credit card can be used to help lift the vinyl. Then use Goo Gone or coconut oil or something like that to remove any sticky residue.
or a heat gun on low... just keep it moving, don't leave it on one spot too long if you're worried about the material.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:43 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 525
Thanks all. Based on advice found here I watched some youtubes on this and we're going with the hair dryer and plastic razor. We won't do this until the next time we get the trailer out of storage which will be late August. But I will report back on how things went. We don't have a front window on our 21 so no rock guard to worry about for us.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
TahoeJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California
Trailer: 2017 5.0
Posts: 523
There is another solution not mentioned yet here, which is a special (I call it magic) wheel that attaches to your drill. I've used it on my Escape, and on various other RV's and vehicles with great success. It removes decals and the glue without damaging the substrate underneath, and with no harsh chemicals. It seems pricey at first (I bought mine for $45) but I've only had one that has lasted me years. I've seen it called various names, when I bought it 3M was calling it the Adhesive Eraser Wheel, but now it looks like they are calling it the Stripe Off Wheel:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065358/

There are videos on YouTube showing it in use...I vouch for it!
__________________
“We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.”
- Kurt Vonnegut
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thanks all. Based on advice found here I watched some youtubes on this and we're going with the hair dryer and plastic razor. We won't do this until the next time we get the trailer out of storage which will be late August. But I will report back on how things went. We don't have a front window on our 21 so no rock guard to worry about for us.
Without a rock guard the heat isn't an issue. I've found that it's a patience or practice thing. If you use just the right amount of heat and get a corner free then it's possible to remove the whole decal intact without resorting to scraping.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 525
Introducing the new Escape 7! ?

Well I removed the decals today and am so happy with the results. Yes there is a shadow but it's a pale greenish color that actually matches some of my interior decor haha! I used a hair dryer and found that it required quite a bit of work to pry off (using the plastic razor at the same time). I think that's just because ours was in bad shape and cracked all over. I cleaned up the residue with Rapid Remover and waxed twice afterwards. The front is glossy and mirror like again. I think it looks great for an almost 8 year old trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1514.jpg   IMG_1518.jpg   IMG_1521.jpg   IMG_1523.jpg  
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.