Stinky shower drain - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Stinky shower drain

Okay, been meaning to ask this question for a very long time, but never thought about it until I was out camping and usually didn't have enough of an internet connection to cruise to the forum. And with my bad hip, I didn't do much camping last year (but it's now been replaced and first trip booked for next week - YAY!!).

Anywho, when I pull the installed white twisty drain plug it just reeks. I've dumped bleach down it multiple times. Got down on the floor and pulled out hair with tweezers. I'm now using a different plug for when I shower that is catching more hair, but it still reeks.

However, it doesn't reek from the kitchen sink drain and I've shoved my nose as close as possible to it multiple times. Nope, doesn't have a stinky smell like the shower drain, which I can smell almost immediately, without my nose being close to it.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it? I'm thinking there's still hair stuck in there where I can't reach it and it's got gunk stuck to it that's stinking like crazy. I don't even know if you can remove the drain to clean it out.

Thanks for any suggestions.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Maybe this

Your sink has a J trap with water providing a "seal" to the gray tank, and odors. I think the shower does not have a trap but drains directly.

Bleach is one thing, but maybe better are commercial solutions to add to the grey tank for cleaning. They may work with enzymes or biologically to clean the tank. Pouring bleach in an unfilled tank will only deal with the bottom surfaces, not the sidewalls or full interior. Maybe a full grey tank with clean water and one of those cleaning products will help.

Search for grey tank cleaners/deodorizers. They're out there. I use one regularly and no odor problems.
https://www.rvtravel.com/tips-cleani...ater-tank1616/
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks, yeah, forgot about the trap thingie in the sink.

I do use Tank Tech RX in both tanks and have used it regularly from the beginning. Not sure if that's the same thing you're talking about.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

Thanks for the link. I was just reading it. Had forgotten all about that. I have a trip planned soon, so will dump some laundry detergent in the tank and see what happens. I do have full hook ups at the site. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
One thing I've done is put a small amount of the chemical that goes in the black tank into the grey tank...maybe 10% of the bottle. Never had an issue with odor from the grey tank.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, been meaning to ask this question for a very long time, but never thought about it until I was out camping and usually didn't have enough of an internet connection to cruise to the forum. And with my bad hip, I didn't do much camping last year (but it's now been replaced and first trip booked for next week - YAY!!).

Anywho, when I pull the installed white twisty drain plug it just reeks. I've dumped bleach down it multiple times. Got down on the floor and pulled out hair with tweezers. I'm now using a different plug for when I shower that is catching more hair, but it still reeks.

However, it doesn't reek from the kitchen sink drain and I've shoved my nose as close as possible to it multiple times. Nope, doesn't have a stinky smell like the shower drain, which I can smell almost immediately, without my nose being close to it.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it? I'm thinking there's still hair stuck in there where I can't reach it and it's got gunk stuck to it that's stinking like crazy. I don't even know if you can remove the drain to clean it out.

You are not the only Escape owner that has had this problem.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post192663

Adding some kind of odor eliminating chemical isn't removing the cause for the stinky drain. You need to fix the cause of the odor which is the shower drain piping.

Take a look under your trailer at the shower drain piping that goes to the grey tank. You will find a long section of 1 1/2" ABS pipe that goes to a P trap attached to the side of the grey tank. Look at the attached picture and you can see that piping. Notice how the side of the P trap that attaches to the grey tank is higher that the long run of piping coming from the shower drain. That long run of pipe traps shower / sink water in it that never drains and over time, breeds a stinkly slime that is the root cause of your smell problem.

I noticed the odor coming from the shower drain on my trailer about a month after I picked it up in 2017 and come up with a fix. I don't know how you have managed to put up with it for this long.

I had a discussion with Rease about it (I suggested installing Hepvo valves) and he changed the piping on later trailers to move the P trap location from the grey tank side to right after the shower drain (left side of pic) eliminating the trapped piping and that stopped the smell problem. Of course, that doesn't help owners of the trailers that still have the trapped piping problem.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post200442

I fixed my trailer by eliminating the grey tank P trap and installing the drain piping so that it has a continuous slope downward to the grey tank. No more smells!
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...21-a-9445.html

Every 2017 21 that I have done the Hepvo mod on has had serious slime in that section of pipe coming off the shower drain and I have to take precautions when cutting it to make sure that I don't get any of it on me! If you decide to fix the piping, you might want to wear a mask - your trailer sounds like it has a really serious slime issue.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS Trap.jpg  
Old 04-20-2022, 10:49 PM   #7

Damn! Thanks much tdf-texas for all that info. My husband will love me (not!) when I show him that tomorrow.

I really appreciate all that info and the links. I'll look at them later.

Yeah, the smell is bad. I would just keep the plug in all the time except when taking a shower. Quick showers, I might add.

I just love finding out there's problems that were fixed later on and maybe I could have taken the trailer up there and they could have done an upgrade for me. Oh well. Too late now.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I pour a bloop (scientific term ) of this stuff down the shower, and both sinks each time we park. when you drive, the water gets jostled out of the traps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JG1W1E
Attached Thumbnails
81r1vncH61L._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Every 2017 21 that I have done the Hepvo mod on has had serious slime in that section of pipe coming off the shower drain and I have to take precautions when cutting it to make sure that I don't get any of it on me! If you decide to fix the piping, you might want to wear a mask - your trailer sounds like it has a really serious slime issue.
Just curious, looking at the photo I'm wondering how far up the grey water tank the p-trap is. Looks like only about half way!
That would make it impossible to fill the tank? Could this be part of the problem people are having with grey water backing up into the shower when their monitors are not showing the tank full?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #10

Okay, we just read the original thread where Tom (tdf-texas) replaced with a Hepvo valve. I told Dirk I'm willing to help as the smell is quite bad and I want it gone. Now that I know there's a way to fix it, I want it done. Get to test out the new hip some more, I guess.

I don't remember that thread when it was originally posted. I do remember there was discussion on replacing the p-trap under the sink as it takes up so much room. Might consider that after fixing the stinky drain situation.

Questions:

1. Our tanks have the spray foam. What's the best way to remove that foam without damaging the tank and pipes underneath?

2. It looks like from the original thread only the p-trap area was replaced. Why didn't you replace the entire black pipe? Wouldn't it be covered in stinky slime? Or does it eventually wash out? (okay, more than one question in this paragraph)

3. Is ETI installing these currently? Is it an option? I saw where they did 6 and 3 leaked, but they might have started installing them again.

If they knew this was a problem way back then, why the heck weren't owners contacted and offered a solution? Heck, we would have paid them to do this for us (even though it might have been covered by warranty back then). Not impressed at all, to put it mildly.

Okay, thanks for additional information.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Okay, we just read the original thread where Tom (tdf-texas) replaced with a Hepvo valve. I told Dirk I'm willing to help as the smell is quite bad and I want it gone. Now that I know there's a way to fix it, I want it done. Get to test out the new hip some more, I guess.

I don't remember that thread when it was originally posted. I do remember there was discussion on replacing the p-trap under the sink as it takes up so much room. Might consider that after fixing the stinky drain situation.

Questions:

1. Our tanks have the spray foam. What's the best way to remove that foam without damaging the tank and pipes underneath?

2. It looks like from the original thread only the p-trap area was replaced. Why didn't you replace the entire black pipe? Wouldn't it be covered in stinky slime? Or does it eventually wash out? (okay, more than one question in this paragraph)

3. Is ETI installing these currently? Is it an option? I saw where they did 6 and 3 leaked, but they might have started installing them again.

If they knew this was a problem way back then, why the heck weren't owners contacted and offered a solution? Heck, we would have paid them to do this for us (even though it might have been covered by warranty back then). Not impressed at all, to put it mildly.

Okay, thanks for additional information.
1. The easiest place to start would be where the shower drain starts below the trailer. Locate the shower drain inside the shower and measure to the shower wall, then eyeball that distance under the trailer to where the ABS pipe 90 should be. Cut the foam around that area until you find the drain and go from there back towards the grey tank trap following the now visible piping.

2. Once the P trap is removed and the Hepvo valve in place, the shower water drains quickly and will wash out any of the piping left. Removing the trapped area of the drain eliminates the slime issue in a short period of time.

3. As far as I know, no. Rease installed six incorrectly, then decided they were too complicated to install for his "employees" to handle and went back to the glued ABS traps. Moving the traps up to the beginning of the drain rather than at the end of the piping run took care of the trapped water problem so he figured that was good enough.

By the way, once you install a Hepvo valve in the shower drain, you no longer need to use the shower plug as the Hepvo is a check valve that prevents any water / gas from the grey tank from coming back up the drain. Another nice benefit of the Hepvo.

If you are interested, the kitchen sink Hepvo install is something that you should think about as well. The S trap that Escape uses on that sink is illegal in both Canada and the US to install because of issues.
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Plumbing-S-Traps.php
The Hepvo install fixes those problems and lets the sink drain much better while preventing odors from the grey tank from coming up the sink drain.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-12288.html
Old 04-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Just curious, looking at the photo I'm wondering how far up the grey water tank the p-trap is. Looks like only about half way!
That would make it impossible to fill the tank? Could this be part of the problem people are having with grey water backing up into the shower when their monitors are not showing the tank full?
Yes, the shower drain piping / trap will stay full once the water in the grey tank is above the drain pipe connection to the tank. But the grey tank will allow the shower to continue to drain up to the point where the tank is completely full as the drain itself is above the grey tank.

Interesting enough is the method for "checking" if the grey tank is full is when the grey starts to back up into the shower, you know it's full.

After installing Hepvo valves in the shower drain, that no longer works as the Hepvo (ie, check valve) prevents water from the grey backing up into the shower.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Hi Laura saw your post . Messing with your drain is not easy , just saying . Tom is right about your drain plumbing water is sitting in there and the stink is bacteria .
We use this at home 3/4 cup baking soda , 1/2 cup white vinegar . Cover drain wait 30 min then pour 1 gal of boiling water in drain . That will help with grease and hair . Also can do before put a hose in drain and flush the drain to grey tank . For bacteria peroxide works better then bleach . Can pour in drain after you flushed and cleaned up the drain . Your problem is water won’t drain and just sits in there . I remember years ago you asked me what was stinking but at the time didn’t know but many have this problem . Hopefully your sewer under your bed doesn’t leak ? The fittings have come apart for some . Check that out too . Glad you are feeling better . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Laura saw your post . Messing with your drain is not easy , just saying . Tom is right about your drain plumbing water is sitting in there and the stink is bacteria .
We use this at home 3/4 cup baking soda , 1/2 cup white vinegar . Cover drain wait 30 min then pour 1 gal of boiling water in drain . That will help with grease and hair . Also can do before put a hose in drain and flush the drain to grey tank . For bacteria peroxide works better then bleach . Can pour in drain after you flushed and cleaned up the drain . Your problem is water won’t drain and just sits in there . I remember years ago you asked me what was stinking but at the time didn’t know but many have this problem . Hopefully your sewer under your bed doesn’t leak ? The fittings have come apart for some . Check that out too . Glad you are feeling better . Hope this helps . Pat
That's funny Pat! I forgot about the black tank fittings leaking. Oh well, that one is easy to detect - open the bed storage access cover (plywood) and check for smell and/or stuff dripping out of the pipe fittings. At least that one is easier to fix.

Maybe we should make a checklist of all the glitches that we have found over the years of stuff Escape didn't quite get right.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
That's funny Pat! I forgot about the black tank fittings leaking. Oh well, that one is easy to detect - open the bed storage access cover (plywood) and check for smell and/or stuff dripping out of the pipe fittings. At least that one is easier to fix.

Maybe we should make a checklist of all the glitches that we have found over the years of stuff Escape didn't quite get right.
You got that right Tom ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
(snip) I remember years ago you asked me what was stinking but at the time didn’t know but many have this problem . Hopefully your sewer under your bed doesn’t leak ? The fittings have come apart for some . Check that out too . Glad you are feeling better . Hope this helps . Pat

OMG, something else to knock wood for! Ack!

Actually, the smell from before got resolved by putting a much better vent cover over the black tank vent near the bathroom. It seems the 21's were prone to that happening. Replaced it and the smell stopped. That was pretty soon after we got the trailer.

But now! Oh joy. I'll fiddle with your suggestion this weekend and will let ya know how it goes. Thanks Pat!
Old 04-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
(snip)

THAT would require an entirely separate thread that would end up being zillions of pages long!

But, it could be helpful since I haven't been on this forum much for the past few years and there's probably lots of stuff I've missed.

I keep grumbling to Dirk I'm very interested in the 23' with the walk-around bed every time I make the bed in the 21'. But now .... might lean towards a Bigfoot some more. Although I'm not too keen on it being wider than the Escape since there's times I've felt majorly squeezed on the highway with big rigs on both sides of me at the same time.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Dynamax Isata 3
Bleach should work just fine. Dump the tank first. Then refill with fresh water. Then add your bleach and dump again. Don't try to clean with soaps or detergents. The odor is coming from bacteria which love to eat soap and detergent.
kiekhaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiekhaefer View Post
Bleach should work just fine. Dump the tank first. Then refill with fresh water. Then add your bleach and dump again. Don't try to clean with soaps or detergents. The odor is coming from bacteria which love to eat soap and detergent.
Yes, I agree, Keep it simple.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiekhaefer View Post

"Add cleaning agent to the tank. Do NOT use bleach. Bleach is hard on rubber and can damage valves and seals. There are a number of recommended cleaners. While any of these will work, Dawn dish detergent is the most popular – both because of its grease-cutting ability and being readily available."

from previously posted link on this topic:
https://www.rvtravel.com/tips-cleani...ater-tank1616/
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote