Storage box damage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Storage box damage

Hello,
Has anyone repaired their front storage box? We got back from a trip and noticed a small crack (8” long) near front bottom of box near area where the box is mounted near frame. Any tips would be appreciated. Not sure what the cause was. Box was not over loaded - not even close to weight limit.

Thank you
Attached Images

lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Oh Boy

Yes, I had to repair my front box from a crack in pretty much the same location. Mine occurred when I had a road gator thrown in my direction and I ran over it throwing it into the storage box. Made me feel good to have the box damaged and not the trailer itself. I had the repair done by an auto body shop that specialized in Corvettes, I tried several boat shops in the area but they wouldn't touch the repair. Several people on the forum have done repairs by themselves, I won't try that. Search the forum, my damage pictures are somewhere under "front storage box" is it necessary I think. (to lazy to look it up) Good luck
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello lilkuma.
Yep, I have the same damage in the exact same place.It happened when backing up to get out of a tight spot.Discussed it with my son, he said to take a Dremel and make a grove on the inside. get a fibre glass patch and resin.Might have to tighten up the box with a strap to close the gap as much as possible before applying the fibre glass material.
FiberTek on Boundary road will have the supplies we need.Trailer is parked and the repairs are on my To Do list.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Search the forum, my damage pictures are somewhere under "front storage box" is it necessary I think.
Here it is:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post265754
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would sand the affected area inside and add a few layers of fiberglass...nobody is going to see your work. Find a good how to fiberglass U Tube video and away you go.
Once the inside is done it will be structurally sound again and the outside will only be cosmetic. A little flexible sealer/filler on a gloved finger to fill the crack outside and you are done.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

Trailer: TBD
In addition to what has already been suggested I would also suggest drilling a small hole with a wire size bit on both ends of the crack to relieve the stress and then do the patch.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Storage box damage

With fibreglass repairs it's important to assess if it is stress and then the repair is more structural with supporting,cloth/mat and resin to ensure it just doesn't crack again.If cosmetic the Ving the crack and gel coat may be fine. The biggest trick is matching the gel coat to blend with other glass that may be oxidized and not be same as original layup. An option, since it is a front box exposed to road rash, is using Kiwigrip. It is an amazing product that is water based and has a rubber finish to absorb impact. It is tenacious in bond and can be simply touched up by rolling out another coat. I thought for any lower glass areas that may get some chipping such as wheel wells you could roll on and if you use a smoother roller it doesn't have such a textured look like non skid.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
Hello lilkuma.
Yep, I have the same damage in the exact same place.It happened when backing up to get out of a tight spot.Discussed it with my son, he said to take a Dremel and make a grove on the inside. get a fibre glass patch and resin.Might have to tighten up the box with a strap to close the gap as much as possible before applying the fibre glass material.
FiberTek on Boundary road will have the supplies we need.Trailer is parked and the repairs are on my To Do list.
Same area and length for crack . Caused by being tired at night and caused by our truck . Also damaged top of box and broke truck tail light . Inside box used fiberglass cloth I have and resin . Coated a couple of times after it was pressed in . It matches the inside of box . Had a little more work on top of box to repair . Outside just sealed with white flexible sealer for fiberglass. Also checked inside box where it’s bolted . Added resin and a large washer after it set and retighten . It’s been fine for awhile now . Also replaced truck lens . Really not a big deal and dorsn’t Look bad . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote