Stove Sparker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
Stove Sparker

We have the oven with 3 burner stove. The sparker works on 2 of the burners but not the third. The sparker wire is attached to the burner but it does not spark. Any ideas how to fix?
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Do you see a spark when you engage the piezo? (Might need darkness to see it) If not, it's either the piezo or the wire. They're easily replaceable though.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
We have the oven with 3 burner stove. The sparker works on 2 of the burners but not the third. The sparker wire is attached to the burner but it does not spark. Any ideas how to fix?
One of my wires got to hot and melted resulting in it grounding out to the stove. Pulled it away retapped it and it worked fine.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Stove Sparker Solution

We've had the same problem and solved it by adding insulation to the wires running to the sparkers. I believe I purchased 5/16 fuel line at a local hardware store. You can disconnect the wire at both ends and feed the wire through the fuel line. The extra insulation keeps the high voltage from jumping to the grounded chassis iv the stove. Now the sparker works every time!
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic Sparker Soltion.JPG  
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Same as above...
Typical RV industry. The Chinese 'IRONFLON' wire with FEP insulation isn't suited for the application, rated only to 300 deg F and 300V (way lower than the piezo output, I'm sure). On ours, all three wires degraded with breaks and splits in the insulation, so the spark just grounded to the base.

We fixed by pulling off the leads and wrapped the wires with self-fusing silicone tape, good to >500 deg F.
Attached Thumbnails
Sparker Wire.jpg  
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Same as above...
Typical RV industry. The Chinese 'IRONFLON' wire with FEP insulation isn't suited for the application, rated only to 300 deg F and 300V (way lower than the piezo output, I'm sure). On ours, all three wires degraded with breaks and splits in the insulation, so the spark just grounded to the base.

We fixed by pulling off the leads and wrapped the wires with self-fusing silicone tape, good to >500 deg F.
Thanks for sharing.... I'm surprised FEP would degrade and crack like that but it obviously did. I'll tuck this away and inspect if we have a failure. I agree it's disappointing to see a wire rated for 300V in that application.

BTW check the screws between brackets and burners if you have the top open. I had one completely fall out and the other 2 were loose.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
I'll agree with the screws falling out of the burners, especially after a drive day!
I fixed this with red LockTite. I think it is the high temperature formula.
I may have replaced one or two of the screws with a slightly larger size as well.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote