Stovetop grate keeps bouncing off - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It would appear that the large stove cover would prevent those grates from moving, perhaps with a little cloth underneath the cover between the grates would help.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It's not like I stick to the paved roads, so this issue is amazing. I have the cheapo white 2-burner and no cover but the grates have never come off...unless I'm cleaning the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
ValyGods.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the oven with a 3 burner cook top and have never had problems with the grate popping off. I have had a problem due to the oven door opening and breaking off and the entire oven dislodging from the cabinets during travel on rough roads, but that is another story and the damages were repaired in a manner such that they will not reoccur.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #24

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have the oven with a 3 burner cook top and have never had problems with the grate popping off. I have had a problem due to the oven door opening and breaking off and the entire oven dislodging from the cabinets during travel on rough roads, but that is another story and the damages were repaired in a manner such that they will not reoccur.

Dave,

What did you do to prevent a recurrence? I may want to fill that in advance to make sure that never happens to my oven door

Thanks,

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It would appear that the large stove cover would prevent those grates from moving, perhaps with a little cloth underneath the cover between the grates would help.
It does appear the cover would help, but DMPortland doesn't have one. His oven stovetop is different than the one in the latest ETI picture Brian posted, but I wonder if a cover could be retrofitted to his particular stovetop?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #26

Unless removed, the over stovetop comes with a cover and one can be purchased if need be.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
His oven stovetop is different than the one in the latest ETI picture Brian posted, but I wonder if a cover could be retrofitted to his particular stovetop?
I noticed the slightly different wire pattern in the grate, but not that it was a different range model. The ETI photo shows a Wedgewood Vision - and that or the related Atwood-branded models seemed to be what everyone had in previous discussions - while Dale's photo shows a different control layout, and different oven vent... and the name isn't visible. Dale's doesn't appear to be a current Wedgewood (from the controls) or an Atwood (which has sealed burners and stamped grate), and the Wedgewood/Atwood design hasn't changed for at least several years. By comparison with online photos, it appears to be a Magic Chef range.

It looks like the Wedgewood Bi-Fold Cover currently provided by ETI would not fit Dales range, and I don't know if there is one that that model. I would hope that a cover isn't needed to retain a grate, anyway.

The grate mounts the same way as the Wedgewood, so the other differences shouldn't matter, but maybe there is enough dimensional difference that this grate doesn't stay in as well. If it is the Magic Chef, replacement Range Main Top Cushions (grommets) are available. There don't appear to be any hold-down clips, but I suppose custom clips could be added (carefully).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Stove grate solution

The prior owners removed the stove top cover and told me it wasn't working for them so we don't have the cover. After studying the whole range top situation - there's only two pins at the rear holding it on and the front just rests on the range top - I don't see anyway to secure it other than bungee cords. Not pretty, but seems to be the best immediate solution.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #29

Ironically, I would use bungee cords to hold my wooden stove top to my grates, while you are using them to hold your grates....
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
The prior owners removed the stove top cover and told me it wasn't working for them so we don't have the cover. After studying the whole range top situation - there's only two pins at the rear holding it on and the front just rests on the range top - I don't see anyway to secure it other than bungee cords. Not pretty, but seems to be the best immediate solution.
I removed our stove top cover (we have the oven too) and it's yours free if you want to drive out to Hillsboro, OR.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #31

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Stovetop grate keeps bouncing off

My first thought was, do you have the grommets the grate fits into, but I see that you do.

Doesn't that stove top tilt up? If so, maybe you could put hose clampd on two of the feet under the stove top. They wouldn't be visible but should keep it from coming off.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I removed our stove top cover (we have the oven too) and it's yours free if you want to drive out to Hillsboro, OR.
Caution, caution Will Robinson... this info is from reading all the other forums.

IF you have a non-stainless steel stove/oven, use a metal stove cover and drive bumpy roads... the stove cover will bounce up and down and eventually wear or chip the finish on the stove.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote