Stowing stuff & 5.0TA hatch dimensions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Stowing stuff & 5.0TA hatch dimensions?

Hi all

I'm getting things ready for picking up our 5.0TA and wondering about stowing various items, such as tools, hoses, filter & regulator, wheel chocks & levelling blocks, etc., in outside hatches.

We ordered a U-shaped dinette and the rear hatch. Does anyone know the opening size of that hatch?

I'm trying to decide on either carrying a tool box or a more maleable bag for the tools. I don't want to end up at ETI with a toolbox only to find it won't fit anywhere. Not sure if I should maybe distribute the various tools into the landing gear hatches or in the back hatch for the best weight distribution &/or security of heavy bouncing objects. Is there a danger of damaging the landing gear jacks? I would supposed there would be less tendency for things to bounce around in those forward hatches as opposed to in the rear of the trailer.

I'm looking at BBQs with dimensions that fit in the hatch above the propane tanks and there should be a bit of room there for some things. Maybe hoses to pad the BBQ from bouncing around. Is there any spare room in the propane storage area? Is it OK to carry things in with the propane bottles?

Sorry for what are maybe dumb questions but this is our first TT. Also, we don't plan to come straight home with it after pickup. We hope to do some travelling and may be away for a month or two, so I want to be properly outfitted for heading out.

Ppl with 5.0TA's, where do you carry the various items in your hatches?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Hi all

I'm getting things ready for picking up our 5.0TA and wondering about stowing various items, such as tools, hoses, filter & regulator, wheel chocks & levelling blocks, etc., in outside hatches.

We ordered a U-shaped dinette and the rear hatch. Does anyone know the opening size of that hatch?

I'm trying to decide on either carrying a tool box or a more maleable bag for the tools. I don't want to end up at ETI with a toolbox only to find it won't fit anywhere. Not sure if I should maybe distribute the various tools into the landing gear hatches or in the back hatch for the best weight distribution &/or security of heavy bouncing objects. Is there a danger of damaging the landing gear jacks? I would supposed there would be less tendency for things to bounce around in those forward hatches as opposed to in the rear of the trailer.

I'm looking at BBQs with dimensions that fit in the hatch above the propane tanks and there should be a bit of room there for some things. Maybe hoses to pad the BBQ from bouncing around. Is there any spare room in the propane storage area? Is it OK to carry things in with the propane bottles?

Sorry for what are maybe dumb questions but this is our first TT. Also, we don't plan to come straight home with it after pickup. We hope to do some travelling and may be away for a month or two, so I want to be properly outfitted for heading out.

Ppl with 5.0TA's, where do you carry the various items in your hatches?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi: iamunique127... The propane bottle compartment is quite full as it is. The compartment above it fit our new Spitfire 180 BBQ with a small mod. We keep most tools in the hatches with what they're used with. ie: rubber mallet with chocks, water pump pliers with the water hose etc. The rear hatch holds the power cords mats water hose and some of the lego blocks for the stabilizers. We still have an entire hatch without any thing in it!!! The only tools I carry in the trailer is an IKEA flat tool box. If I need more the job may be to big for me. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Lyle
I carry a small vac, 400w inverter, misc electrical/electronic cables in the small hatch where the switches are for the front legs.

Tools in a small tool box on the floor in the back seat of the truck.

Anything that can and will get wet, awning mat, door mat, step, various sizes of pvc boards, chocks, levelers, in the back of the truck, just inside the tailgate.

Smoky Joe BBQ in a large storage box in the bed of the truck behind the cab, also has all the items used for fires, axe and so forth, as well as charcoal and the starter chimney.

Lawn chairs and small folding table go in the bed of the truck unless it looks like rain, then I move them inside, if I think of it. I slide them all up under the trifold tonneau cover along with the large storage box mentioned above. The 8' bed comes in handy.

The only outdoor stuff accessed through the right rear hatch is the propane gas stove, 12VDC box fan, and the bug candles.

The small hatch just in front of the door holds all our hiking boots, packs, and poles. It's a real small door but a tall storage space.

Area above the propane tanks is all the trailer site setup stuff, X-Bal chock, hoses, electrical cord, waste hose adapters, torque wrench for the wheels, bottle jack, hitch lock, and the tools they give you for the awning and the manual front legs. I used a couple mid sized bins to keep things somewhat organized.

The only extra thing in with the propane tanks are spare keys.

Oh yes, the small heavy duty cooler to use when traveling in hot weather lives in the truck bed too.

Can't think of anything else, but I'm sure there is.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since you will be traveling, I'd wait and pick up items as needed, that way no mistakes will be made. Someone over on Fiberglass RV made an excellent suggestion, buying used from the local thrift shops vs new from the large retail establishments. Use the product and then donate it back when done or give it away to another camper. The "KISS" method.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Is there any spare room in the propane storage area? Is it OK to carry things in with the propane bottles?
For any enclosed propane compartment (which just means 5.0/5.0TA in the Escape line), I would say that logically the answer is "yes", but
  • only if clearance to readily remove and replace the tanks is maintained,
  • as long as these things don't pose a risk to propane hoses or fittings,
  • as long as nothing will knock a tank valve handle and partially open or close it,
  • nothing that can make a spark,
  • don't block the ventilation that keeps leaked propane from accumulating in the compartment, and
  • remember that the compartment must never be locked (this is a safety requirement to ensure access to shut off the propane supply if required) so it is not at all secure from theft.
It seems to me like a good place to carry propane-related equipment such as extension hoses and adapters, or the wrenches needed to change hoses or replace the regulator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For any enclosed propane compartment (which just means 5.0/5.0TA in the Escape line), I would say that logically the answer is "yes", but
  • only if clearance to readily remove and replace the tanks is maintained,
  • as long as these things don't pose a risk to propane hoses or fittings,
  • as long as nothing will knock a tank valve handle and partially open or close it,
  • nothing that can make a spark,
  • don't block the ventilation that keeps leaked propane from accumulating in the compartment, and
  • remember that the compartment must never be locked (this is a safety requirement to ensure access to shut off the propane supply if required) so it is not at all secure from theft.
It seems to me like a good place to carry propane-related equipment such as extension hoses and adapters, or the wrenches needed to change hoses or replace the regulator.
An excellent list of things to keep in mind any time you're dealing with compressed flammable gas.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Thanks for the input, guys.

I like the idea of keeping the tools with the items for which they will be used. That makes a lot of sense.

As I suspected, everyone has their own system and thoughts on what works best where but you've given me some helpful starting points. Much appreciated.

I have seen Adrian's 5.0 Classic in Emerson MB, so I'm aware of the size of the landing gear hatches but his doesn't have the rear hatch. Does anyone have those dimensions handy?

We plan to transport most items to Chilliwack in the back seat & open box of the truck in mostly disposable containers such as cardboard boxes or plastic bags. A roll-up tonneau cover would make that leg of the journey much simpler and we are still considering that idea. Once we get the hitch installed and see how much usable room there is left in the short box we plan to pick up some more permanent containers to fit the spaces.

Thanks for all the great info on the propane storage area, Brian. You mentioned a couple points I was not aware of.

As far as tools go, I hadn't thought of a wrench for the propane but now have a Crescent wrench on my list. Along with the usual multi-bit screw driver, small socket set, metric wrenches, a few small electrical supplies, wire strippers, etc. I always carry, I also have these specific trailer related tools on my list:
-13/16" socket, 1/2" breaker bar & torque wrench for lug nuts
-3/4" socket & adapter, cordless drill for rear jacks
-slip joint pliers for water hose connections

Are there any other tools you've found to be useful for your trailers? Are the various nuts and bolts in the Escapes metric or SAE? I suspect I'll find a mixture of both.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9

The propane storage area doesn't have 'extra' space.
Wet stuff goes in the truck box.
Careful what you stow in near the power jack switches- anything that slides around in that space can damage the fuses and possibly the switches.
The storage bin that is accessed beside the main door, is very large. I think we stow life jackets, in that space.
We store a propane coleman stove in the area above the propane tanks. Also seat cushions in the same area.
We don't have the u shaped dinette.

Happy travels
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info, sleepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
The storage bin that is accessed beside the main door, is very large. I think we stow life jackets, in that space.
Happy travels
Hmmm, behind the main door. I thought that was the passenger side landing gear hatch. Am I wrong?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hmmm, behind the main door. I thought that was the passenger side landing gear hatch. Am I wrong?
Hi: iamunique127... The landing gear manual/ crank drive accesses through the front of the trailer. One small hatch on each side of the propane hatch. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
My TA is #9-- June 2014 Mfg

Quote:

The switches on mine are located on the front driver side of the trailer, in a compartment, that is about a third of the way up the body.
I also store rubber 'sh*tter' hose gloves in that space.

The compartment to the right of the door is large but has a small access door. I also store the levelling jack handle, and propane hose in that space.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Aahh, the switches are both on the same side, in the driver's side hatch. Right. I only saw that on a 5.0 for a few minutes.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Screws are square drive Robertsons, #1 and #2 I think. Get a couple tips for your screw/stabilizer gun.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Both switches for the electric landing gear are together on the drivers side, small hatch. I have to agree, I wouldn't store anything there that may slide around without first figuring out a method to protect the switches from being inadvertently hit and turn on! Maybe "flip covers"?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Add a socket for the hot water tank anode. You likely won't need it on the road, but you will come time to winterize. 1 1/8, I think...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Anode requires 1 1/16.
And some quarters or loons to fill the socket itself so you can apply pressure when re-installing.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:
As far as tools go, I hadn't thought of a wrench for the propane but now have a Crescent wrench on my list.
I think that's a good idea. I would make it two wrenches, since it is normally necessary to hold one side of a threaded connection while turning the other (e.g. hold the fitting in the regulator while turning the flare nut on the hose). They can even be different sizes, since the two sides of the connection are usually different sizes and only one of them needs to go large enough for the larger side... in adjustable wrenches, bigger is not necessarily better for getting in to tighter spaces.

Anyone not willing to touch propane hardware would not have any use for these tools, but to me being able to snug up a connection which as started to leak or replace a regulator which has failed could be a trip-saver.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Are the various nuts and bolts in the Escapes metric or SAE? I suspect I'll find a mixture of both.
Axle and brake hardware is from Dexter, which uses SAE fasteners; I assume the coupler is SAE as well. Not much else would use threaded fasteners with hex heads other than the appliances... most of which are likely SAE, since they are all traditional U.S. products. The frame is welded (no fasteners) and the basic body shell is bonded together (again no fasteners), so generally on the ETI-built stuff you are looking at cabinetry screws and few bolts for parts such as the door hinges.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #19

Thanks guys.

Glad to hear that Escape uses Robertson head screws. I prefer them to Phillips or flat. I always have #'s 1 through 3 in my kit, both screw driver and drill-useable bits.

I've just added the 1 1/16" socket and another Crescent wrench to my list. I am somewhat handy and like to attempt most jobs myself. Unnecessarily relying on someone else or getting stranded due to a realtively minor mechanical problem just isn't the way I operate.

My socket set inludes both a 1/4" and 3/8" rachets and associated sockets, mostly SAE but also a selction of metric so I should have most hex head connectors covered.

I think I've eliminated the idea of one toolbox. I'll continue to carry the couple small kits I usually have in the truck and then add the specific tools to the areas where they will be used. Thanks for the help. Hopefully tool planning is out of the way now.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have paired down the tool kit I bring with me big time. It still has a good selection of repair/maintenance items, but I have removed any socket sets, other than a small set for my small 12V impact driver (which also has all the screwdriver bits). I just was not using them. I do have a socket to fit my Anderson WDH nuts, and one to fit the lug nuts, but that is it.

All my repair/maintenance/tools fit into a small soft sided case. I have yet to hit a situation that I did not have the right tool. If something major happens, I will seek help. Just a concious decision I have made to help keep things simple, and keep my weight down.

At home I have a full compliment of tools, and in my worktruck lots too, I just don't want to haul them all around.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote