Strange issues with Dometic Refrigerator DM2683 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Strange issues with Dometic Refrigerator DM2683

This is going to be a long post. But I feel it necessary to give all of the pertinent information so that may be somebody will have some ideas on what’s going on.

We have had our trailer for about 18 months now. Not long after our second trip out only a few months into ownership we started seeing some strange issues was coming from the refrigerator. Every now and then we would go to turn it on and it just wouldn’t do anything. And after a bit it would come back on. I chalked this up to sensitivity coming from different electrical set ups. But one day while it was sitting next to our barn, plugged up, I noticed that when we turned the refrigerator on the auto light came on and the gas light came on. Even though we were plugged up the AC light would never turn on. I checked everything, fuses, breakers, the voltages going into the control board in the back of the machine. I checked all the connections, I checked everything and no matter what we tried we could never get the AC light to turn on. After days of troubleshooting I realized that even though the auto light was on and the gas light was on it was actually cooling the refrigerator using AC power. And if I unplug the AC power the gas burner would ignite. What I realized is that the control panel was not displaying properly.

Fast forward about a year and a few months ago we decided we were going to take the camper out again. I went out to do all of my pre-checks like I always do, went to turn the refrigerator on and nothing happened. I went back to the control panel and jiggled some wires and every now and then it would come on but never for very long, and eventually it never turned on again. That’s when I decided that I needed to replace the control board behind the refrigerator. Since I had heard great thing about dinosaur electronics that’s where I went first. I called the customer service line and was told that they really didn’t make a board for my particular model, but they gave me the closest thing that they had, unfortunately even though everything plugged up correctly, the refrigerator never cooled using that board.

I thought I was stuck, I didn’t think that I was gonna have any way out and I even started looking at buying replacement refrigerators. Then I found on Amazon control module board numbered 3316348.900. I definitely did not have anything to lose and decided to purchase this board off of Amazon. When it came in the mail it only took me about five minutes to get it hooked up. Do my delight when I turned on the refrigerator it came to life. Everything seems to be working as expected, except we are back to the phenomenon where the AC light never turns on but it is in fact running on AC power. At this point I’m beginning to think that maybe it is the brow panel on the front with all the buttons on it that has gone bad, however I cannot find a replacement for that on the World Wide Web.

I understand that I should probably try to call Dometic and see if they will help, but honestly I’ve tried that in the past with our oven and I have experienced their customer service. Or lack there of, however you wanna look at it. And if I can fix it myself, and make it better, I would rather do that.

If you’ve made it this far I appreciate you going on this little trip with me, any thoughts or help of what I should try next would be much appreciated. I’ve tried removing all power from the control panel and seeing if that might reset it but that does not seem to do anything. At this point if I have to live with the lights being wrong but the refrigerator working perfectly I’m going to. And I’ll probably keep a spare control board with me from now on. Any help is much appreciated.
Amel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Your Dometic has a two year warranty on it and you should stop throwing parts at it- that's their job! I know it is a hassle to book an appointment at an Authorized Dometic Service Center, yet that is what you need to do. Ask me how I know!

Am hoping that you can get your money back from Dinosaur for the board that didn't work. If they aren't completely willing to do so under the circumstances you describe then if it were me I would be disputing the charge on my credit card.

Best of luck on solving this problem.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape
I bought an eyebrow board for my rm2354 through pdxrvwholesale.com a couple of years ago. The part was good and the website and service were good. You might check there if you go that route.

In the meantime I would polish and tighten the ground connections.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote