Strange noise from under Drivers side Bench - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Strange noise from under Drivers side Bench

Hello all,

Just got to an RV park in New Orleans and hooked all up. Noticed that there is a fan noise on on the brown box under the driver's side bench (where all the circuit breakers are); sounds like there's a fan running down there. Started as soon as we hooked up and has not stopped. Does anyone know what this is? Is this a problem? Should it shut off on it's own? Been running now for about 2 hours. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mars
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I just figured out that I still had my fridge set to DC, soon as I turned it to AC mode, the fan noise stopped. Why is that? Thanks anyways, seems to have been sorted out.

By the way, tested my fridge running on 12v DC while driving for about 2 hrs today on a bright full sunshine day and my batteries were barely able to keep up with the power draw, started at 62% level and ended the day at 69% level. That said the fridge and freezer did stay nice and cold
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason not to use 12V, bad for the fan. Use propane or electric. That fan was trying to cool down your converter which was overheating trying to convert too much 12v for the refer.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It was your power supply recharging your batteries. It was working real hard to keep itself from overheating by using its built in fan. Operating normally for what it had to do.

Most people do not use the DC mode on their fridge as the tow vehicle wiring is to thin to carry the current required to keep the batteries charged. By you saying a sunny day...sounds like the batteries also had some help from roof top solar as well.

Luck you had a powered spot tonight and heard the fan or you could have taken your batteries down to a level they should never see.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That fan was trying to cool down your converter which was overheating trying to convert too much 12v for the refer.
While the fan was running to remove the extra heat caused by running the converter to provide 12 V DC power to the refrigerator (as well as meeting other needs and charging the battery), there's no reason to think that the converter was "overheating" - it was just producing enough heat to need the fan, which is part of normal operation. The refrigerator takes a few amps (10? 12?) and the converter has 55 amp output capacity.

So, don't run the refrigerator on DC when plugged into shore power (which everyone knows anyway), but don't worry about the fan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not sure about the WFCO converters, but on my old trailer the Elixers fan/s would run under heavy 12v load OR when the internal thermistor told it too.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have never heard my fan on my WFCO in any of my trailers, Escape or otherwise. To me normal is silence.....