Suburban cooktop problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Suburban cooktop problems

We have a 2020 Escape 19 and on our first trip my hubby spilled water out of the kettle on a stove burner and now propane is coming out of the bottom with a gurgling sound. I have tried running it this way in hopes that the water will dry out but no luck so far. The propane is not coming out of the proper holes either.

I haven't been impressed with the wat the stove runs either, too much yellow flame and a very long boil time.

I am guessing that I need to disconnect it, take it out, disassemble and give it a good clean. Any other suggestions?

Julie
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
This video on Escape stove cleaning might help.

https://youtu.be/6P57N8a_YaQ

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

BINGO........Thank you very much, exactly what I needed.

While I have your attention, I would like to thank you for your great post on modifications. We picked up our trailer on Dec 21, 2020 and did the under bed crates, the bed slats and put in some additional insulation under the bed because we took the underbed plywood out.

The time people have taken to post pictures and write up their modifications have helped us immensely making our trailer comfortable to us right out of the gate.

Julie
Old 01-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #4

I forgot, we also put in three lithium iron phosphate batteries. What a difference they have made for dry camping in rainy weather. We are running our generator every four days as opposed to every day in all likelihood.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks Julie
Keep an eye out for many more modifications that I have done but still in waiting to be written up. I like to test each on the road in case I find it was not as good of an idea that I originally thought.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
My new 21C being delivered next week is suppose to have a a 3 burner suburban replacement oven in lieu of Dometic which is having delivery problems. Curious if any new owners have this oven and does it have sealed burners?
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
My new 21C being delivered next week is suppose to have a a 3 burner suburban replacement oven in lieu of Dometic which is having delivery problems. Curious if any new owners have this oven and does it have sealed burners?
I have no idea, but if you can get the model name or number you can check the Suburban website and look up the features.

The Elite (or "standard") series is listed with match-light "conventional" burners, while the Elite Series Plus is listed with piezo ignition burners; there is no mention of sealed burner construction for either. The manual (possibly not for current models) suggests that some have "sealed" burners (although of course no gas burner can actually be sealed), but I don't know which ones.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Vanguard (Sold 2020)
Quote:
We had many questions before signing our build sheet last week and that was one of them. This is the answer we received from Linda at ETI.

"Here is the information on the two three burner models we offer.

Atwood/Dometic R31 (standard) Folding metal stove cover. Solid oven door.

Suburban SRNSQB2S2QAG3EC Elite (flush mount). Folding glass cover with glass door.

The btu output on the stove top is the same for both models. 9,000 btu front and 6,500 rear.

Both feature sealed burners.

Broil features on both.

The biggest difference is the usable space in the oven.

Flush mount - Inside 14 1/2 wide 15 1/2 deep 4 1/2 high

Standard - Inside 15 3/4 wide 14 1/2 deep 6 high"
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Thank you.

Back in Nov., Linda indicated the Dometic was not available due to production supply problems, and wanted to substitute the Suburban and I said that was fine providing it had sealed burners. She said she would get back to me. She did and said it does have sealed burners.

Today, my delivery pick up is Thursday or Friday. I ask Vivian to be sure if the stove has sealed burners, she said it did not, that there must have been a miscommunication. I sent her the email from Linda. Told her there is still time form them to switch stoves.

Have not heard back.

People keep all communications between yourself and ETI. Do not delete anything. Be sure all items agreed to are on build sheet.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #10

Wow. Just heard back.

“ Hi David,

Unfortunately the oven I had referred to previously was the Suburban GLP oven, whereas Linda was referring to the new Suburban flush mount ovens that became available this year. Your trailer has had the GLP oven installed. I have spoken with the production manager and unfortunately it is too late in the production timeline for us to swap out these ovens. I’m very sorry for the miscommunication.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out and we can discuss further.

Best regards,

Vivian Tran, Customer Service
vivian@escapetrailer.com

I forwarded this back.

So essentially it can be replaced, your production manager is too lazy to make it right.
Ok. I will go to the forum with this so others do not get roped into the miscommunications.
Thanks.
David Boyd.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately the oven I had referred to previously was the Suburban GLP oven, whereas Linda was referring to the new Suburban flush mount ovens that became available this year. Your trailer has had the GLP oven installed. I have spoken with the production manager and unfortunately it is too late in the production timeline for us to swap out these ovens.
Quote:
So essentially it can be replaced, your production manager is too lazy to make it right.
I doubt it's that simple. The ovens likely require different cabinet cut-outs, so swapping the oven may mean swapping much of that section of the kitchen cabinetry.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #12

Karl Kenny of Escape sent me an email indicating they would certainly make the change, but it would delay shipment. He explained a lot with the stoves. Told him to leave it as it is and ship the trailer.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #13

Having had to deal with taking my Suburban stovetop apart in my first week, I can honestly say I am not impressed either. However, overfilling the kettle is not a mistake we are likely to make again.

We had a similar issue with customer service. We ordered a compressor fridge with our trailer (paying $1200+ extra for it). When we added the compressor fridge I specifically asked about the extra vents (which in my mind are needless holes in the fibreglass) that we wouldn't be needing and I was told they wouldn't be on the trailer. When I got the pictures of the trailer the vents were on the trailer.....I was gutted. I am still irked camping in cold weather trying to find a way to stop the cold air from coming in.

I get they are growing pains, but all these changes are catching up with them and mistakes are being made. Perhaps too much choice is not a good thing.