Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Since Escape now knows about this problem, they pretty much have to address it or they are taking a huge risk. Even just defending yourself against an injury lawsuit can cost hundreds of thousands.

If I knowingly use a defective part in my product that ends up injuring someone, is it my fault or the manufacturer of the part? Would I be willing to take that chance? Not likely.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Don’t know if our problem is the the stove top but our propane leak detector went off this morning. Called Dustin, haven’t heard back yet.
casita68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by casita68 View Post
Don’t know if our problem is the the stove top but our propane leak detector went off this morning. Called Dustin, haven’t heard back yet.
We don’t have the Suburban cooktop, but we do have a 21 which had an issue with the propane detector going off. I am not sure if it was the age of the detector or the batteries off gassing. We replaced the propane detector and replaced the batteries with sealed AGM batteries. No issues since then.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by casita68 View Post

Start by vacuuming the face plate of the detector, or wiping it with a damp cloth. That may fix it, but your trailer is 2016 so it could need replacing.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Start by vacuuming the face plate of the detector, or wiping it with a damp cloth. That may fix it, but your trailer is 2016 so it could need replacing.
Great Idea, we do have a couple of puppers. Wie will give that a try.
casita68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #46

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Handheld propane detector

We have had propane smell in the cabinet below our Suburban Cooktop SDS2 for over a year (2020 Escape 5.0 TA). We have had 3 Suburban approved repair technicians diagnose for a leak. None have identified a leak thru soap suds on the appliance. None have used a propane detector.

I repeatedly have detected propane with a handheld detector at the end of the rigid tube below the controls. Unable so far to reach AirXcel. Are handheld propane detectors reliable? I have not been able to confirm with soap suds. Video here:

Edit: AirXcel recommended going to an authorized service center (fourth inspection)
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
We have had propane smell in the cabinet below our Suburban Cooktop SDS2 for over a year (2020 Escape 5.0 TA). We have had 3 Suburban approved repair technicians diagnose for a leak. None have identified a leak thru soap suds on the appliance. None have used a propane detector.

I repeatedly have detected propane with a handheld detector at the end of the rigid tube below the controls. Unable so far to reach AirXcel. Are handheld propane detectors reliable? I have not been able to confirm with soap suds. (Unable to post video)
Edit: AirXcel recommended going to an authorized service center (fourth inspection)
Our 'sniffers' are old but I tested the one I use with an open unlit burner and got the alarm. Sounds like an old Geiger counter we once had. Turned the burner off and tested again (after a few minutes). No alarm. So I 'assume' it is working properly.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Keep in mind that the problem being discussed can only be detected if the burner valve is on and the burner on as the tube that splits is between the two.
If a dealer tests without both burners on...they will miss the problem.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post

I repeatedly have detected propane with a handheld detector at the end of the rigid tube below the controls. Unable so far to reach AirXcel. Are handheld propane detectors reliable? I have not been able to confirm with soap suds. Video here:

The problem usually happens at the pointer. In your picture the spots I see on each pipe could be a shadow or the start of a problem. I just worry that one of the dealers found the nuts loose and tighten them without letting you know and there has been damage/crack.
Attached Thumbnails
5891EA55-AFE2-4F05-9FA4-23E01A264369.jpg  

Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Keep in mind that the problem being discussed can only be detected if the burner valve is on and the burner on as the tube that splits is between the two.
If a dealer tests without both burners on...they will miss the problem.
Why both burners?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #51

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Why both burners?
Personally I would test one burner first, after checking turn off the gas to that burner, and then check the other burner. I'm sure Eggscape meant this too.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Personally I would test one burner first, after checking turn off the gas to that burner, and then check the other burner. I'm sure Eggscape meant this too.

Enjoy,

Perry
Yup.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 E19
You can add me to the list - 2018 Escape 19 delivered in May 2018. Smelled odor under the sink and found loose/broken gas pipe at connection to burner. The nut under the left dial was almost completely undone.

Has anyone found a replacement pipe or some sort of retrofit? Suburban will not sell a separate replacement part. I have driven all over town (Calgary) looking for something that might work. Probably been to a dozen different plumbing/HVAC/Hydraulic suppliers and nothing. Seems like it should be a fairly easy fix?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2689.jpg   IMG_2723.jpg  
kpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Is anyone else concerned that there is still no announcement from Escape or word of possible recall on these cooktops? I didn’t even get a response to my online inquiry to Suburban/Airxcel. With more and more of these stoves being found with loose components this is no longer an isolated issue as some had wished. Now this is getting complicated by the fact that some owners are modifying their own stoves in an attempt to resolve the issue.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is anyone else concerned that there is still no announcement from Escape or word of possible recall on these cooktops? I didn’t even get a response to my online inquiry to Suburban/Airxcel. With more and more of these stoves being found with loose components this is no longer an isolated issue as some had wished. Now this is getting complicated by the fact that some owners are modifying their own stoves in an attempt to resolve the issue.
Yup…they spend a lot of time making videos about fluff and stuff but will not even mention what people have found wrong with their stoves. They say that they are concerned and send out all important information by email, but nothing yet.
I understand that there is a process but from what I can see they are doing nothing to gather the facts, question, support or deny the information package I sent them.
Someone going to get seriously hurt and I am not impressed.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpreston View Post
You can add me to the list - 2018 Escape 19 delivered in May 2018. Smelled odor under the sink and found loose/broken gas pipe at connection to burner. The nut under the left dial was almost completely undone.

Has anyone found a replacement pipe or some sort of retrofit? Suburban will not sell a separate replacement part. I have driven all over town (Calgary) looking for something that might work. Probably been to a dozen different plumbing/HVAC/Hydraulic suppliers and nothing. Seems like it should be a fairly easy fix?
You need to go to an automotive shop or store that will make tubes with the proper flares. I am no flare expert but from what I can see it is the same as used on some GM fuel lines. It can be made but requires an expensive flaring tool and the expertise in using it. Then there is the case of the correct dia of tubing. Both are very important in getting a correct seal. You don’t want to use just any flare or it will not seat correctly and could leak.
Here is your picture of the flare type and the GM type.
Attached Thumbnails
BDBF164B-156D-4FB8-811E-79F52C54D3D8.jpeg   EED77CE5-DB5E-4B47-8B9A-2A57F82C5106.jpg  

Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #57

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Update post #46

I received notification from Dustin at ETI that they will be sending a replacement stove. I appreciate all the helpful comments from fellow Escapees on this thread. I also encourage all owners to consider a handheld detector for early detection of any propane issues. Follow Rangerman's suggestion of 'testing' the tester by first testing on open flame.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #58

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is anyone else concerned that there is still no announcement from Escape or word of possible recall on these cooktops?
I know how business works and it's not like those here expect. I will be concerned if we don't hear something by the middle of July-August. There are many items that need to be checked off before we hear anything, it's called due diligence.

Wikipedia states: "Due diligence is the investigation or exercise of care that a reasonable business or person is normally expected to take before entering into an agreement or contract with another party or an act with a certain standard of care."

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #59

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I know how business works and it's not like those here expect. I will be concerned if we don't hear something by the middle of July-August. There are many items that need to be checked off before we hear anything, it's called due diligence.
There is no reason that Escape cannot issue a warning out to all owners with this cooktop that simply states to stop using it while a proper investigation is conducted and they work with the manufacturer on a resolution. It's not convenient for owners but its the right thing to do. I think most owners would just be happy to know that Escape cares enough to warn them of a potential hazard. Instead this plods along and the chance of additional explosions is real! The liability for the companies involved is huge if they know there is a problem and don't advise customers as soon as reasonable. I just hope that no one else gets hurt.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
You need to go to an automotive shop or store that will make tubes with the proper flares. I am no flare expert but from what I can see it is the same as used on some GM fuel lines. It can be made but requires an expensive flaring tool and the expertise in using it. Then there is the case of the correct dia of tubing. Both are very important in getting a correct seal. You don’t want to use just any flare or it will not seat correctly and could leak.
Here is your picture of the flare type and the GM type.
I agree that the right flare is important, but it looks more like a bubble flare (with extra length beyond the flare) to me. Of course anyone with the original parts in hand can try the likely candidates on replacement tubing and see which one matches properly in all aspects of the shape.

I wouldn't count on an average automotive shop being competent in making flares, since flared lines in vehicles (which are used mostly for brakes) are now normally purchased as complete assemblies (flared, with nuts)... and that, of course, would be the preferred method in this case if the part were available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote