Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #61

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The Suburban SDS2 cook top saga continues. My cook top caught fire in July of this year during my first trip with my 2020 Escape19. The good news is that Suburban replaced the cook top under warranty and my local RV shop installed it yesterday. The bad news is that after I brought the trailer home this morning (thirty minute easy drive) and inspected the cook top, both gas valves are again loose. Exactly the problem that most likely caused the first cook top to fail. It's interesting to note that Suburban is now "double nutting" these valves onto the cook tops in an effort to keep the nuts on tight. Obviously this "fix" isn't working. They are also still putting the black plastic rings under the nuts, which I suspect may be the reason the nuts won't stay tight. The heat shield under the stove is also loose again under the left burner.
I contacted Suburban to report this new issue. Their remedy was to tell me to return my trailer to the repair shop again so that their techs can talk to Suburban's techs. They will not give me, the owner, any further assistance. I was very clear that these cook tops are unsafe and will eventually cause someone serious injury (it's already happened) if they do not resolve this issue.
I also alerted Escape this morning about this. Suburban continues to put out a dangerous product. I also attached a pic of the NEW cook top valves for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Aug 11 new Suburban cook top valves loose.jpg  
ziksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I know how business works and it's not like those here expect. I will be concerned if we don't hear something by the middle of July-August. There are many items that need to be checked off before we hear anything, it's called due diligence.

Wikipedia states: "Due diligence is the investigation or exercise of care that a reasonable business or person is normally expected to take before entering into an agreement or contract with another party or an act with a certain standard of care."

Enjoy,

Perry
Late August now, haven't heard diddy from the Mother Ship. I'm a bit disappointed. Good friends of ours with a 2019 19 just experienced an issue with there Suburban cook top last week. I've gone thru ours, but I don't feel great about the unit TBH.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #63

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Cooktop Now Dometic

I was following this thread prior to picking up my new Escape 21NE in mid-July. Just thought I would let posters know that Escape changed cooktop supplied to a Dometic D21 2-burner. Don't know if they have announced that on their own forum or videos. It's a nice cooktop, and I like the burner arrangement. I haven't pulled it out to check connections, but I am assuming that they made the change to address the Suburban issues.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Joe View Post
I was following this thread prior to picking up my new Escape 21NE in mid-July. Just thought I would let posters know that Escape changed cooktop supplied to a Dometic D21 2-burner. Don't know if they have announced that on their own forum or videos. It's a nice cooktop, and I like the burner arrangement. I haven't pulled it out to check connections, but I am assuming that they made the change to address the Suburban issues.
Nice to know! Friend of ours with a 2019 19 just had a blow out on his Suburban and I'm seriously thinking about changing ours even though I pulled it out and checked it, installed star washers, loctite. I'm still amazed there has been nothing sent out from Escape or Suburban regarding this.

Larry
Old 08-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #65

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Joe View Post
I haven't pulled it out to check connections, but I am assuming that they made the change to address the Suburban issues.
assume = ass u me

The controls on the new stovetop look surprisingly like the same controls on the Suburban SDS2, but with new knobs. First thing I would do is to remove the knobs and check to see if the same nut is holding the controls. If so, I would remove the nuts, install star washers, put a dab of blue Loctite on the threads, and then tighten appropriately.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #66

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I didn't think that cooktop would fit in a 17. Does anyone know?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 21C, 2021 Model Year
Hi,
I have had the same problem. I have determined that the feeder line (also know as the orifice holder) broke off where I turn the gas on to the left burner. A very strong aroma so I stopped using that burner. Did you ever post the fix or where to get parts? I have not been able to find the part needed. Thanks!
TomEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #68

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
Hi,
I have had the same problem. I have determined that the feeder line (also know as the orifice holder) broke off where I turn the gas on to the left burner. A very strong aroma so I stopped using that burner. Did you ever post the fix or where to get parts? I have not been able to find the part needed. Thanks!
Have you read the following posts?

Suburban SDS2 Cooktop - Tighten Nuts/Replace Pipe - LP Leak

Do You Have Loose Nuts - SDS2 Stovetop

I have a working relationship with my HVAC dealer and can walk into their shop and get specific information or specialty work done. They have a kit that would have worked and have a flaring set that would match the flare. However, they have no interest in doing this repair for others. For me, yes, but for others, no. They have been overworked/overloaded since we purchased our condo in Lanesboro (we were living 325 miles away at the time of purchase). They installed our in-floor heat, air conditioning, and plumbing and took two years to complete the work, all while Terry was finishing her career 300 miles away. I gave them time and they appreciated that I wasn't constantly harping for them to finish. I get more out of vendors because I treat them like I would like to be treated.

So if you have a working relationship with a HVAC shop you can have the pipe made for you. If not, I would put a Wanted Ad here for someone's good pipe if they have abandoned their stove for another. Our good pipe is being used by a member here, so it's gone.

Is there anyone here who has abandoned their stovetop and would be willing to send their good pipe to someone who needs one?

If you install the star washers and/or use Loctite the stove should be as reliable as any other on the market.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #69

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
When i posted on this forum the fact I was switching my stove for a Dickinson Marine stove I was contacted very quickly by a member on this forum.who wanted to purchase my stove. We agreed quickly on the details They were patient in waiting for my new stove to be installed and patient working out all the kinks transferring stuff between Canada and the U.S. At the end of the day it all worked out. Hopefully you will find someone on this forum who has also switched out the stove and is willing to part with it.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Yes. The ferrule on the tube between the stove's valve and burner (manifold?) broke off. Fortunately the propane detector caught the fact we had propane loose in the trailer before we had an explosion. A friend who has a machine shop got the ferrule back on the tubing, I replace it and all is fine again. I check the tubes, valve tightness, smell for propane under the stove in the counter, etc every time I turn on the stove.

Greg Hine, Boulder, CO, Escape 19'er, purchased in Dec 2018.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Yes. The ferrule on the tube between the stove's valve and burner (manifold?) broke off. Fortunately the propane detector caught the fact we had propane loose in the trailer before we had an explosion. A friend who has a machine shop got the ferrule back on the tubing, I replace it and all is fine again. I check the tubes, valve tightness, smell for propane under the stove in the counter, etc every time I turn on the stove.

Greg Hine, Boulder, CO, Escape 19'er, purchased in Dec 2018.
In addition to installing the lockwashers after pulling out the cooktop and inspecting, I bought one of these units (someone else had mentioned it). Seems to work fine, and so far no leakage underneath the unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry
Old 11-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good here and clutters up the intention of this thread. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?

The list below is those who have expressed their stove has leaked gas from a broken feeder pipe from the control to the burner:
NWTraveler
Effie
Perryb67
CarlNH
j3cub
Dee
bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
Fun Pig
Eggscape
I'm trying to get my letter written for Karl and Melissa at Escape and the NHTSA.

When I contacted Melissa at Escape last week only three of us have actually taken the time to contact either Melissa or Karl. Contacting Dustin does no good! If you haven’t already, please call/e-mail/write Melissa or Karl, and if using mail or e-mail ask for a response acknowledging they received the notification.

To repeat, "Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?"

After I contact another Escape Forum member I'll be posting the cheap fix that will make these stoves as reliable as any other, including the Dickinson. I wish I had known about this fix before we purchased our $629 Dickinson stovetop! You've waited this long, so you can wait a day or two until I post the simple correction. AND those that have the problem can have your stove fixed with under $20 (probably less) in easily obtainable parts. Patience grasshopper!

Again, please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Thanks,

Perry
Perry,

My stove started leaking propane underneath it in my 2020 Escape 19. It started to smell while cooking and then progressed to where the trailer's propane detector went off. I pulled my convection microwave and checked the bottom of the stove. Everyone of the screws and fittings were loose. The one attaching the pipe from the control valve to the burner, was completely disconnected at the burner. I tightened everything and tested it with soapy water. I didn't appear to be getting any bubbles, but, I am still getting odor if I use the left burner. I'll be contacting the manufacturer and see what if any remedy they offer.

Tom
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #73

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Perry,

My stove started leaking propane underneath it in my 2020 Escape 19. It started to smell while cooking and then progressed to where the trailer's propane detector went off. I pulled my convection microwave and checked the bottom of the stove. Everyone of the screws and fittings were loose. The one attaching the pipe from the control valve to the burner, was completely disconnected at the burner. I tightened everything and tested it with soapy water. I didn't appear to be getting any bubbles, but, I am still getting odor if I use the left burner. I'll be contacting the manufacturer and see what if any remedy they offer.

Tom
Did you remove the pipe and check the flange? It breaks off so that no amount of tightening helps- you need a new part, not very easy to find. If you are still getting odor it sounds like yours may have that break. Mine did. I never smelled anything as I never turned on that burner (which was also left, or in the case of my 17b, the back burner. But when we checked it was broken.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #74

Trailer: 2019
Put me on that list. Mine leaked propane under the cabinet. When I tried to light the stove click click click..Boom! Blew the cabinet doors open, blew the front door screen open and burned the bottom brush on the door, blew the max air fan door cover and will not close. Melted the jacket I was wearing, singed my hair, mustache, arm and leg hairs. Burned dogs hair also. Paramedics and Fire Department responded. I recommend don’t play or fix with these bombs. The concussion and being engulfed in a fire ball will change your mind quickly.
FloridaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #75

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCracker View Post
Put me on that list. Mine leaked propane under the cabinet. When I tried to light the stove click click click..Boom! Blew the cabinet doors open, blew the front door screen open and burned the bottom brush on the door, blew the max air fan door cover and will not close. Melted the jacket I was wearing, singed my hair, mustache, arm and leg hairs. Burned dogs hair also. Paramedics and Fire Department responded. I recommend don’t play or fix with these bombs. The concussion and being engulfed in a fire ball will change your mind quickly.
Tony: Sorry to hear. I hope you are ok. I have been saying these stoves are literal ticking time bombs. I think much less of Escape for not owning up to this and tackling it head on like Reace and Tammy would have. I know they have gotten several calls and letters about fires and injuries. How can they sleep at night knowing more customers will likely be injured? They just quietly switched stoves for new builds. No warning to existing owners for the 3 years these stoves were used or inquiry with Suburban about a recall. I hate to say it but Escape and Suburban will likely be sued if they haven’t been already. Putting their head in the sand is not a solution.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I hate to say it but Escape and Suburban will likely be sued if they haven’t been already. Putting their head in the sand is not a solution.
I have to agree. Escape has opened themselves up to massive liability. No, they didn't make the stove, but they know of the danger and haven't recalled the stoves. A claimant would likely sue both parties.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #77

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Like so many others, I've had a problem with the Suburban cooktop in my 2020 E19. Turns out the line ("pipe?") between the control knob and the burner on the left/forward burner was/is the culprit. Escape provided a list of approved service vendors and I contacted the one nearest me. It took 2 months to get an appointment. 2 weeks later I learned that the problem had been identified (yes, the problem I complained about) and the bad part identified. I was asked if I would authorize order of the part which cost approximately $30 and I agreed. Another 2 weeks went by and I opted to bail the trailer out from the vendor when they told me they had no idea when the part might become available. The good news is I can still use the trailer and the right/aft burner works fine.
So I guess you can add me to the list of dissatisfied customers, Perry.
Thanks!
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:50 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I have to agree. Escape has opened themselves up to massive liability. No, they didn't make the stove, but they know of the danger and haven't recalled the stoves. A claimant would likely sue both parties.
It's not Escape's responsibility to recall the stoves. Escape took appropriate action and no longer uses the stove. It is the users responsibility to file a complaint with the appropriate agency.

I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I was the only complaint that had been filed on an Escape trailer.

Complaining to Perry on internet forums does nothing. You need to file with NHTSA. If NHTSA gets enough complaints they will prompt Suburban to recall the stove.

To file a complaint on the stove you need your trailer VIN, the make and model of the stove Suburban SDS2,. and preferably the stove serial number too.

I called the 800 number:
Vehicle Safety Hotline
888-327-4236, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm ET

Or you can file online at:

NHTSA Report a Safety Problem
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It's not Escape's responsibility to recall the stoves.
[/URL]
B.S. Unbelievable that anyone would not think the right thing for Escape to do would be to notify all owners with these defective stoves. Attorneys always sue everybody. What makes you think Escape has no liability?
Old 12-31-2021, 02:04 AM   #80

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I believe that it is the trailer manufacturer's responsibility to recall their product when they discover that it has a known defect affecting safety. That the problem is in a component which they purchased from a supplier and installed is irrelevant: most cars are built with many components from outside suppliers, and when those components are problems the auto manufacturer recalls the vehicles. They don't just pass the buck to the component supplier; although of course they seek compensation from the supplier, they don't stick the end consumer with having to do that. Takata messed up tens of millions of airbags and millions of seatbelts, and sold them to several manufacturers who installed them in tens of millions of cars... and the auto manufacturers recalled those cars, not Takata.

Suburban messed up these stoves, but they have no idea who ended up with them. ETI did nothing wrong in buying those stoves before the problem became apparent, and did nothing wrong in the installation, but they know who they sold them to, and they should recall them now that they know that they're dangerous. Other RV manufacturers have done this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote