Suburban three burner glass top removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Suburban three burner glass top removal

We have the Suburban stove with the folding glass top and would like to remove it.
It seems way to fragile. I built a cutting board top to go over the stovetop when not cooking for extra counter space. Just can't figure out how to take the bolts off of the glass top to remove it. The bottom of the bolt has flat sides but when I turn it with a small wrench the whole thing spins. The other end on the glass top is smooth so there is now way to grip it. Am I missing something?? Has anybody removed one of these before?
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Montana
Hello!
We are wanting to do the same thing! Have you figured it out? Can you share any tips? Running into the same issues as you.
Thanks!
anmearehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #3

Suburban three burner glass top removal

Hi anmearehart
Never figured how to remove the glass top. We wanted to travel so we just worked around it. I built a cutting board big enough to cover the stove top so when we stop I just place it over the glass cover over the stove. Adds alot more counter space. When we want to cook we just remove the cutting board. While traveling we just place the cutting board on the bed so it does not fall off the stove. Works great so far. I am including a few pics.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
20220702_143237a.jpg   20220707_190554a.jpg  
Old 09-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #4

Sorry about the sideways pics! Not too tech savvy LOL!
Old 09-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarc View Post
Sorry about the sideways pics! Not too tech savvy LOL!
I just fixed them for you. The best thing to do is always take pictures in landscape mode, if you don't want to rotate them before uploading.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #6

Thank you!
Old 09-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #7

Thank you
Old 09-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #8

OK, just FYI
My husband just used a dremel and cut through the plastic nuts lol.
We haven't figured out how to get the hinges off yet lol
Old 09-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

Great tip! I will do that when I eventually get around to removing the glass top.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Rockwood Roo 21ss
Solution found

I realize this post is over a year old, but it was the only post I could find when searching for the same solution. Hopefully if someone else searches for this, this will help. I found myself looking for this after my dear sweet mother tried to open the glass top even though she told me just five minutes earlier that she would wait for me to help. She tried opening it and folded the glass backwards and “somehow” bent the hinges so that the glass could not open properly and the stove could not be used. Not good for a thanksgiving week camping.

The hinges are connected to the glass with some sort of plastic bolts and nuts. When I first tried to loosen the nut on the bottom, the top bolt just spinned. Normally, one would expect the top part of the bolt to have some sort of head that would allow a flat or phillips head screw driver to hold it while pliers loosened the lower nut. This is not the case…but….I just got a pair of needle nose pliers and held the flat top of the bolt solid while using a second set of pliers to losses the nut underneath. This works and I was able to take apart all bolt/nut connections on the glass top.

Will now build a nice wood cutting board to use on top instead of the glass!
Sablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:15 PM   #11

Hey thanks Sablack!
I had previously made a cutting board that fit over the folding glass top. Made a world a difference in our counterspace situation. We would have to remove it while traveling, so it wouldn’t fall off. Now I can remove the glass top and re-cut the cutting board to fit within the parameters of the stove top. I then plan to attach small wooden stop blocks underneath (to fit precisely within the grates ) to prevent the cutting board from sliding off while traveling. Have to wait a few months though as our 5.0 is currently hibernating in winter storage…..
Old 12-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The best thing to do is always take pictures in landscape mode, if you don't want to rotate them before uploading.
Better yet: turn the phone sideways.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote