Suggest Drill for Jacks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have tried using a drill and a driver. Like many mentioned, the driver is just way too noisy. I hear them in campgrounds a fair bit, and they are rather annoying, to me at least. The drill is quieter, but I abandoned it because using the crank, which is real handy, is faster over all and I feel more comfortable with the stabilizer pressure I end up using.

I do like to carry a cordless drill, and now take a nice small 12V DeWalt on. I could bring my 28V Milwaukee, but without care it is strong enough to flip the trailer.

Like Ron mentioned, a properly cleaned and lubed stabilizer works real easy with the hand crank.

I know it is little effort to use the hand crank, but I like to get as much exercise as possible. Go hard while I am young, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know it is little effort to use the hand crank, but I like to get as much exercise as possible. Go hard while I am young, right?
As is said, Use it or Lose it. I understand the need that some may have and want to use a drill. I'm going to wait as long as possible for that need. I prefer to get as much exercise as possible. I'm not in a hurry when setting up and using the hand crank isn't difficult. Bending at the waist stretches the lower back and the glutes, both which can use some stretching after sitting in the truck seat. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have used a drill, and I have the same 18 v Ryobi as Don (twins yet again!).

If you watch at HD or Lowes they are often on sale, and I got a set with way more than it sounds like you need (circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill, extra battery, heavy duty flashlight etc)

One reason to get Ryobi (not sure about other brands) is that they have a very large selection of other things that run off the same batteries as the drill. I didn't think i would use the flashlight but I do...the head rotates so you can set it down and point the light upwards toward something you're working on. I have these add ons: a fan, which i use a lot, which runs off the battery and also plugs in with an extension cord. an inflator. a small hand held vacuum.

example, right now at hd the 18 v drill with carry bag, charger, and two batteries is $80. It's a good deal as two batteries are nice to have. The two batteries by themselves, no drill or charger is $50.

the fan is $50
vacuum $30
Inflator $25

also, here's a drill bit that fits the stabilizers:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

and i also recommend these bed risers for under the stabilizers. you can use at 3 in or 5 in or 8 in height. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-it-...SABEgKQf_D_BwE
Old 07-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembyescape View Post
Ron i like the hex on the tongue jack! I was wondering if that was possible. I think ill give it a go. I agree on the impactors - while they are amazing for driving screws they are too loud for camping and a regular drill works just fine.
I’d like that, too! (Putting a hex on the tongue jack)

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, impacts will do the job, but again, if the lead screw is gritty and needs a good cleaning the impact will ram it along regardless. An ordinary drill will give feedback. If the drill turns it easily great. If not, clean the stabilizer lead screw, don't force it to do something it doesn't want to.

The conversion is quite easy to do, especially since a 1/2" bolt can be used. I left mine about 1/2" long on the back side. I drilled a 1/2" hole in my propane tank cover and the end snaps into the hole. No more horrible little bungee to put on to keep the tank cover from flying off.

Yes, they can fly off, largely depends on the shape of the tug etc. Some can create a low pressure area and the tank cover can levitate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I've installed the "TRAILER VALET JX 2K" tongue jack, which is designed to be used with a cordless drill. I can't give a good review of it yet, since I haven't taken a trip -- but it works well on my driveway! Installation was easy bolt on. One nice feature is the handle comes off easily for those with tailgate clearance issues.
I probably could have bought a cheap electric jack for not much more, but this weighs less and I'm already using my drill with my scissor stabilizer jacks.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
I've installed the "TRAILER VALET JX 2K" tongue jack, which is designed to be used with a cordless drill. I can't give a good review of it yet, since I haven't taken a trip -- but it works well on my driveway! Installation was easy bolt on. One nice feature is the handle comes off easily for those with tailgate clearance issues.
I probably could have bought a cheap electric jack for not much more, but this weighs less and I'm already using my drill with my scissor stabilizer jacks.
Nice looking alternative to a full power tongue jack, thanks for sharing your find.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
Is this the unit?
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...et/TV54FR.html
Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I carry a plastic tote with Ryobi Battery Operated Tools (Home Depot). I've never had battery tools before and started buying when we got the Escape, they are on my favorites list now. We bring along the following Ryobi tools, drill / leaf blower (works great for clearing the top of the awning and the outdoor mat and even the pad we park on) / a work light / a lantern / a fan / a vacuum / tire inflator /2 batteries and the charger.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
One reason to get Ryobi (not sure about other brands) is that they have a very large selection of other things that run off the same batteries as the drill. I didn't think i would use the flashlight but I do...the head rotates so you can set it down and point the light upwards toward something you're working on. I have these add ons: a fan, which i use a lot, which runs off the battery and also plugs in with an extension cord. an inflator. a small hand held vacuum.

the fan is $50
vacuum $30
Inflator $25

also, here's a drill bit that fits the stabilizers:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

and i also recommend these bed risers for under the stabilizers. you can use at 3 in or 5 in or 8 in height. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-it-...SABEgKQf_D_BwE
Thanks for the great info!
Appreciate the links too!

Surprised at the risers tho... we just bought Andersen at $50 bucks each... ouch. Sorry I didn't know this earlier!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yep, that's the one. The 2000lb version.

I don't think the yellow "Trailer Valet" logo is very attractive, but luckily it's just a sticker that peels off easily.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Someone has recommended a drill, that's not too strong for some fear. I can't seem to find the post or note.

Can you suggest a small, not too costly drill to travel with?

And if you can suggest any other tools needed would also help me.

Thanks!
You can get by with any decent quality drill. I use a Porter Cable and even at high speed it has enough torque to run them up & down. I set the torque at 28 and get all the stablizers even. Then I hand tighten all of them with the wrench that came with my X-Chocks. The crank for the stabilizer was used once and it's now buried so deep in the cabinet I probably can't find it!