Supplemental solar through Zamp port - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Supplemental solar through Zamp port

My 19 has the Escape installed 190w panel on the roof and also has the Zamp port wired through the controller. I purchased a Rich Solar 100w suitcase and 20' extension cords to supplement the rooftop solar.

Am I correct that I need an MC4 to SAE adapter like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174841604695

which hooks up to the ends of my extension cords and then I attach a polarity reverser to connect to the Zamp SAE port?

Have I missed anything?

TIA
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Yuv8BgcQQyafs3i6mtqIEQ_thumb_169a.jpg  
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think you attach the MC4 to SAE adapter, then check the polarity of the output from the portable panel and the output from the rooftop panel (on the Zamp port) before deciding whether or not you need the polarity reverser or plugging anything in. Polarity is not a reliable thing in the world of SAE two-pin connectors, and insulation colour means nothing. Remember that the exposed pin (male side) on the cable from the portable panel goes into the socket (female side) on the port.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You may or may not need a polarity reverser. Check the polarity of both the Escape ZAMP connector & the end results of using MC4 to SAE adapter before adding a reverser. The polarity of SAE / ZAMP connectors depends on the manufacturer, i. e. no solar industry standard.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
My 19 has the Escape installed 190w panel on the roof and also has the Zamp port wired through the controller. I purchased a Rich Solar 100w suitcase and 20' extension cords to supplement the rooftop solar.

Am I correct that I need an MC4 to SAE adapter like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174841604695

which hooks up to the ends of my extension cords and then I attach a polarity reverser to connect to the Zamp SAE port?

Have I missed anything?

TIA
Rick
I did the same thing you have described And yes the polarity of the zamp port was reversed, so definitely check beforehand. I have the renogy 100w suitcase panel and have only needed it once. The 190w rooftop seems to recharge by noon even in the treed sites we camp at.... glad to not have to worry about the generator!!
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clkr View Post
I did the same thing you have described And yes the polarity of the zamp port was reversed, so definitely check beforehand. I have the renogy 100w suitcase panel and have only needed it once. The 190w rooftop seems to recharge by noon even in the treed sites we camp at.... glad to not have to worry about the generator!!
I doubt we’ll need the supplemental input very often either, but we do have the compressor fridge. On our last trip, when we spent 3 days boondocking in a redwood forest without hookups, I did have to run my small generator a little to keep the batteries charged. Really want to avoid that if possible.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
It looks like there may be some inconsistency in the way these ports are installed.

After checking polarity on my port I found that the adapter was not needed.
I also found after tracing the wires that the port is wired to the battery rather than the solar controller. Not a big deal since my portable panel has it's own controller but not what I had requested.

A physical check of the polarity and wiring of this port before plugging in your panel would be prudent.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I doubt we’ll need the supplemental input very often either, but we do have the compressor fridge. On our last trip, when we spent 3 days boondocking in a redwood forest without hookups, I did have to run my small generator a little to keep the batteries charged. Really want to avoid that if possible.
We have the compressor fridge as well and did run out of power once while camped in the trees and only had the 190W rooftop panel. It took 5 days but we still ran out. Got 2 of the Renogy 100W panels and have not even come close to running out of power since then, even in cloudy weather. We needed to reverse the polarity of the Zamp port.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Sean, what batteries?
Old 08-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Sean, what batteries?
4x100A Battleborn Lithium
Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
It looks like there may be some inconsistency in the way these ports are installed.

After checking polarity on my port I found that the adapter was not needed.
I also found after tracing the wires that the port is wired to the battery rather than the solar controller. Not a big deal since my portable panel has it's own controller but not what I had requested.

A physical check of the polarity and wiring of this port before plugging in your panel would be prudent.
Interesting. I covered our roof top panel and then plugged in the renogy portable. The go power controller displayed the input from the renogy! Definitely some differences in wiring. Maybe this is standard in the E19 which is what we have...who knows!!
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clkr View Post
Interesting. I covered our roof top panel and then plugged in the renogy portable. The go power controller displayed the input from the renogy! Definitely some differences in wiring. Maybe this is standard in the E19 which is what we have...who knows!!
That is our experience as well. The Renogy portable panels via the Zamp Port do go through the go power controller. We do not have the controllers on our portable panels so it is a good thing it goes through the go power controller. We have a 2019 Escape 19
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
4x100A Battleborn Lithium

Hmm. Good to know, thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #13

polarity

OP here . . . just an update.

FInally got all the pieces of the puzzle:

1. 100w solar briefcase
2. MC4 to SAE adapter cable
3. polarity reversing plug adapters

I did check the polarity of both the Zamp port and the Rich Solar panels. The Zamp is wired through the controller and is wired per Zamp's specs.

Once connected, everything works great. I covered my rooftop panel to check the input from the portable suitcase and everything is working as it should. When I first plugged the panel in, there was very little amperage going into the batteries, but I realized that since I had just unplugged my trailer from shore power, the batteries were full and there was no 12v draw on the system. I turned on the compressor fridge and a small 12v fan and the panel immediately started supplying power to the batteries (dual 6v). I didn't watch it long, but I think I saw a range of 2.8 to 6.2amps for input. Pretty sure that I won't need the Honda gen again unless it's to run the AC. Should have plenty of power for my minimal 12v requirements.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Thanks OP, this thread saved me time.