Surge protector issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Surge protector issue

Im still having shore power issues and think it may come down to the Progressive surge protector which was problematic in the past and had to be replaced. Has anyone ever removed their surge protector from their Escape and not replaced it?
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
What kind os issues are you having and what kind of fault codes is the Progressive giving you?

Do you have the remote display with the bypass switch. That forces the relay closed, no matter what.

I had a HW30C in my motor home but decided with the trailer to go to a portable unit so I could elect to not use it, and if I sold the trailer it would not have to be replaced with the next RV.

All you need to do is take the wires from the shore cord and splice them to the wires you remove from the HW30C. The splices need to be inside a box and a good heavy splice (not wire nuts on that fine stranded shore cord). I would use appropriately sized Polaris connectors or similar to make the connections.

Wire goes in each end and there is a set screw to tighten under each of the plugs, they are made in many different sizes and styles.

Charles
Old 08-26-2022, 05:04 AM   #3

Power

Was simpler fix……was not the surge protector……..plug on the end of the cord was bad…..when I tried a new cord was still trying the bad part so got same result…..we are up and running now…….thanks for the help Charles
Old 06-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
PMS Surge Protector Problem

Folks:
Hoping to benefit from any experience others have had with the Surge Protector not working. We have the factory installed PMS EMS-HW30C surge protector in our 2015 17B. Recently tried to pre-cool the fridge on 100 volt in preparation for an upcoming trip. After getting several warning signals from the fridge, found that the problem seems to be that the fridge is not getting power. The surge protector display is blank and switching the display switch doesn't have any effect. Checked the shore power plug and the indicator light is on. Will try propane to cool the fridge, but would like to get the surge protector working.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 21
Sounds like your unit took a hit n saved all your electronics. Call progressive n they will have you do a couple of things. Then if those don’t work they will send you a new ems free of charge and shipping. Had it happen to me a couple yrs ago. Got a new unit next day.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
PMS Surge Protector Problem

Rockhead:

Thanks for the prompt reply! With a fresh perspective this morning, I traced the lack of power at the surge protector to an open ground-fault outlet that the trailer was plugged into. Reset the outlet and everything appears to be working. Clearly I should have been sure that the trailer was getting power before I assumed that the problem was with the surge protector. Still, it is good to know of your positive experience with Progressive.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Rockhead:

Thanks for the prompt reply! With a fresh perspective this morning, I traced the lack of power at the surge protector to an open ground-fault outlet that the trailer was plugged into. Reset the outlet and everything appears to be working. Clearly I should have been sure that the trailer was getting power before I assumed that the problem was with the surge protector. Still, it is good to know of your positive experience with Progressive.

Thanks,
Dave
If you have a detachable power cable to the trailer, it might have a small, green LED where it plugs into the trailer as well as the outlet. These can be a litmus test for power making it to the cable.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #8

Our second year we had surge protector issues and had to replace it completely….we contacted Progressive and they sent us a new one….that was 3 years ago, and no problems since. Not sure if it would still covered by the warranty in your case.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 21
They have a lifetime warranty