Switching to lithium is more complicated than I thought - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #21

Trailer: Ordering ‘21 5.0 TA
This has been awesome in our 5.0

Farberware 47053 Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 12-Cup Coffee Percolator, 12 Cup Coffee Maker, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HSBGSD...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Colorado Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Dynamax Isata 3
You can purchase a special Keurig coffee maker designed for hotel rooms with lower wattage requirements. Search Amazon for Keurig K-Cup In Room Brewing System, 11.1 x 10-Inches. I believe it uses about 700 watts which is less than half of what other coffee makers use. It does take a few minutes to brew a cup. We use camping when running on battery power with our 1500 W inverter.
kiekhaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scambo1 View Post
Ive built several solar setups both lead acid and lithium.

My take on what you are trying to do…

Our 5.0 ta has escapes solar package. When we got the camper, I was certain I was going to upgrade to a lot more battery (storage). However after boondocking mostly with the camper, we have found the setup to be completely sufficient for coffee pot and microwave needs. Adding batteries, however, is simple.

When we get back from camping, as part of my storage checklist, I turn off the inverter using the on off switch on the inverter. It is accessible through the dinette seat and from the outside access door.

Im in the process of compiling another solar setup for a cabin we are building on a river property we own. Im using lead acid. Its the economical solution.

Thanks. My thoughts were similar; let the batteries charge while we're out during the day and have power for some evening fare and morning breakfast.

Our first outing with the trailer was on some very cold days - boondocking - and because we were camped in full sunlight and we didn't have experience with anything we tried running the 3-way fridge on batteries. That, along with running the furnace, drained the system severely and it took some time to recover. Fortunately, it was clear skies.

Our second outing, also boondocking with some cold evenings, found us parked under some trees. I love being in the woods. But the solar panels don't. So, after a couple of days we drained the batteries below 50%. I mean, we got down to near zero!. I got up in the middle of the night twice one night; once to shut off the inverter that kept beeping from lack of dc voltage and again to shut off the fridge that was also beeping from lack of backup power. We really never recovered from that one. I plugged the trailer into the truck to get power at times.

Adding more lead-acid was my first thought. But the more research I did, the more it became clear that the lithium characteristics is what I was looking for.

Still working on it, by the way. I ordered equipment from Renogy and their customer service has been terrible.
Attic_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #24

Thanks for the coffee suggestions. The Corningware one I bought (used) was recalled decades ago! But this one doesn't seem to have the problem. When I took it into the trailer to test it on the cooktop, I was surprised to find it doesn't fit! That cooktop is weird. Have to find a grill to put over the one that's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-06-01 17.21.36.png  
Old 06-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attic_Explorer View Post
Have to find a grill to put over the one that's there.
ILSA gas burner plate diameter 12 cm adapter

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #26

Perfect. Yes, looking for that. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

Previously I would advise to get the biggest batteries possible, but now after having 465 watts on the roof (-5 watts for the slight VMP mismatch) we usually fill by 10am standard time every day and don’t need massive amp hours.. If/when our batteries fail we’ll either get two 6v flooded, or AGM’s. We have friends with an Airstream with two 6v Lifeline batteries that are still running strong (and 300 watts on the roof), who use their microwave and other 120v items all the time. Too many changes/additional equipment needed for lithium, which I believe is oversold. YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
X2: there are always exceptions to you get what you pay for, and this is a prime example.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Can anyone verify this is the one we need for our Escape stove tops?
Old 06-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #29

Coffee pot update

We found a metal insulated french press on sale so we'll just use the kettle on the stovetop.

The Corningware coffee pot will not be wasted as it makes a nice addition to our cottage stove upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
20220602_153916_2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Can anyone verify this is the one we need for our Escape stove tops?
You know, I missed this: it says it's 12 cm. That's about 4.75 inches. I'm not with my trailer now but our coffeepot is 5 inches in diameter and it barely fits. Not enough that I would trust it.