Table and chair storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Table and chair storage

We are wandering through our build list, and trying to decide how we will use the 17 we ordered.
Today's questions: Where do you all store your outside folding chairs and tables?
And the bigger question: We're getting the tongue storage box, so is there a need to have the outside exterior access hatch(es)?

Thanks,
Don
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hi Don truck bed . Every little nook and cranny you will find a use for . We have 1 outside hatch . Your decision .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We are wandering through our build list, and trying to decide how we will use the 17 we ordered.
Today's questions: Where do you all store your outside folding chairs and tables?
And the bigger question: We're getting the tongue storage box, so is there a need to have the outside exterior access hatch(es)?

Thanks,
Don
Hi: dfandrews... Our 5.0 didn't have an outside access hatch. I made sure the 5.0TA has one. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have both the storage box and the outside access hatch--wouldn't be without either one now. Two outdoor umbrella-type chairs and the two small (side) tables fit in the box even with the two batteries. If I take a folding table, which I seldom do, it goes in the truck bed.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got an outside hatch, front, passenger side. I don't have the ETI storage box ( which would cover the hatch in the current location ). I would rather the hatch was on the side, passenger side rear, because we leave the rear dinette as a bed and it's a hassle to open the bench. Having a hatch there would make access much easier.
The chairs and tables get heaped on the bed ( rear dinette ) for travel. Solar panels end up in the bathroom, generator, bbq and 10 lb. propane tank are in the aisle ( on a carpet runner so they don't shift around in travel ).
Chocks and Linx blocks end up just inside the door or in the TV. All of that doesn't really get in the way because they are all out the door as soon as we get to camp. If one were doing a lot of driving and overnight stops, it would be a pain.
After six years, I'm still trying to figure out the best places to store stuff.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
In the rear hatch of our 19' I keep 4 folding chairs, a collapsible aluminum table, a large ground mat, a screen tent, a broom and the bunk for above the front dinette inside the trailer. The front storage box is filled with other stuff.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Wow! Thanks very much, all of you, for your responses. It looks like that exterior hatch is on the to-do list, because, as Pat said, "every nook and cranny", so ease of access, especially under made-up bed areas, is a must.

So, just how big is the access hatch door?
Thanks again.
Don
Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

Not sure what size fits where. You have an awning arm to contend with. Jim Bennett installed a larger hatch on his 19 ( with pix, somewhere on the forum ).
Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

Hi Don 17 1/2,x 8 1/2 is opening size on my 19 it clears the arm fine . Check pics on forum -the Escape trailer Industries . It just looks like 19 has a longer canopy in front section of trailer my arm clears door when it is opened . Looks about same position in rear for awning arm whether 19 or 17 . To be sure you can talk to Escape . Looks good to me though .
Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 PM   #10

Thanks, Pat.
It is on my list of questions (2 pg.s long) to ask at ETI in a week and a half. If it doesn't rain here tonight, I'll at least get to see what rain is like, when we get there!!! (For the rest of you who don't know what I'm talking about: my rain gauge total for all of 2014 here in sunny coastal So.Cal. is 3.86 inches; we're told we'll get ½ inch tonight. Pat, you'll probably get 3/4".)

Don
Edit: 10:16 pm - RAIN!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #11

Keep in mind, when people talk about storing their folding chairs they generally don't describe how they fold or what the folded measurements are. I don't know this, but I think if I put my folding chairs in the ETI box there would be little room for anything else. The zero-gravity chair would be left at home, if I had any place to put it. I have a couple uncomfortable chairs that fold compactly and would fit through a hatch, but the ones I use don't.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #12

Have a safe trip . We need the rain here .
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I keep mine in the exterior hatch under the bed. Two chairs, aluminium table, all the setup stuff for the trailer (X-chocks, blocks, hoses, cables, etc), BBQ accessories, fire poker, bocce, snake toss game, 12x7 patio mat, etc. I do have the advantage in the 19 of having lots of room under there. The large items are loose, the smaller stuff in 3 separate bins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure what size fits where. You have an awning arm to contend with. Jim Bennett installed a larger hatch on his 19 ( with pix, somewhere on the forum ).
I did this, and absolutely love it, though with the awning now moved forward, one can no longer do this. I know it is what I am used to, but I MUCH prefer the awning shifted to the rear for a couple reasons, firstly so I could put this large hatch in, and secondly because it allows for a large picnic table to fit completely under.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-19-a-812.html

I was looking for a photo of the picnic table under the awning, but could only find one I took recently when getting photos of my new to me Trillium 1300, but it gives you the idea of the look with the awning about a foot back.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...but could only find one I took recently when getting photos of my new to me Trillium 1300...
What are your plans for the Trillium?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
What are your plans for the Trillium?
I am going to rebuild it over the winter, and give it to my daughter as a wedding present on May 02. Lots of work ahead of me though, but it has the potential to be a nice little unit for them. It is still sitting out at our land 90 minutes from home, but I will be picking it up, and putting it in our garage soon.

My daughter is excited about it, and is willing to put lots of sweat equity into it. I got a really good deal on in, but it will take an good cash infusion to get it to where we would like it, total work TBD yet.

1976 Trillium 1300 - BearLeeAlive
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
JIm,

The trillium is really cool. Will you be posting photos of the renovation on FGRV! Good on you for doing this for your daughter!
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We had a '76, redid a bunch of things on it.....we loved it, that's what got us "hooked" always knew we would want another fibreglass trailer....we've had the 17 and now the 5TA. I'm sure they'll love it- we even made $$$ on it after 6 years.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Working on my build list
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Thanks, Pat.
It is on my list of questions (2 pg.s long) to ask at ETI in a week and a half. If it doesn't rain here tonight, I'll at least get to see what rain is like, when we get there!!! (For the rest of you who don't know what I'm talking about: my rain gauge total for all of 2014 here in sunny coastal So.Cal. is 3.86 inches; we're told we'll get ½ inch tonight. Pat, you'll probably get 3/4".)

Don
Edit: 10:16 pm - RAIN!!!!!!!!
Yep...a week and a half should get you firmly into the rainy season. Enjoy your trip. One tip: It tends to be windy when a storm comes in so jackets and hats are more popular than umbrellas for dealing with it. An umbrella will work for the between storm drizzle but you don't see many of them.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

Westender,
Thanks for the tip about the wind. We got a taste of that this morning after the storm blew through (but we're not really used to such weather!). 0.71 inches of rain. And now it's blue skies, with a few cumulus clouds. In three days, we'll be at 83°.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am going to rebuild it over the winter, and give it to my daughter as a wedding present on May 02. Lots of work ahead of me though, but it has the potential to be a nice little unit for them. It is still sitting out at our land 90 minutes from home, but I will be picking it up, and putting it in our garage soon.

My daughter is excited about it, and is willing to put lots of sweat equity into it. I got a really good deal on in, but it will take an good cash infusion to get it to where we would like it, total work TBD yet.

1976 Trillium 1300 - BearLeeAlive
Very good of you to do. That will help keep you out of trouble.

I suppose the very close similarity to the Escape attracted you so that you know all about this one, too.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote