Television swing arm. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Television swing arm.

Two years ago, ETI wouldn’t install my television bracket for our E21 original/older layout because we didn’t bring a tv. They did give us our bracket, but it sat in the garage until now.

Does the swing arm television bracket function properly for folding against the wall above the drawer stack? Looks backwards, like it won’t fold flat because of mounting knob. Also, it can’t be turned upside down or reversed.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Two years ago, ETI wouldn’t install my television bracket for our E21 original/older layout because we didn’t bring a tv. They did give us our bracket, but it sat in the garage until now.

Does the swing arm television bracket function properly for folding against the wall above the drawer stack? Looks backwards, like it won’t fold flat because of mounting knob. Also, it can’t be turned upside down or reversed.
Hi Rrgramps,

Good question. I think you are talking about that black mounting knob, closest to the bracket, yes? If so, when I store the TV (in place, against the wall) I unscrew that one knob (put it in the drawer) and use a small ratchet wrench to tighten that joint for travel. With that black knob removed, the arm can then be swung around, flat against the wall for storage or travel. When we use the TV, I just screw that black knob back in place. If you need pics, let me know. Better yet, post some pics of your TV bracket - your stock bracket could be different from ours. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Rrgramps,

Good question. I think you are talking about that black mounting knob, closest to the bracket, yes? If so, when I store the TV (in place, against the wall) I unscrew that one knob (put it in the drawer) and use a small ratchet wrench to tighten that joint for travel. With that black knob removed, the arm can then be swung around, flat against the wall for storage or travel. When we use the TV, I just screw that black knob back in place. If you need pics, let me know. Better yet, post some pics of your TV bracket - your stock bracket could be different from ours. -Bea
Yep, that’s it.

This photo shows the face of the tv against the wall. I thought it was supposed to be facing outward. Pretty sure that orientation will work. I’ll give it a try, hopefully sometime later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
B8141521-9247-45D6-9A65-B8D4EF081392.jpeg  
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Yep, that’s it.

This photo shows the face of the tv against the wall. I thought it was facing outward. Pretty sure that orientation will work. I’ll give it a try, hopefully sometime later this week.
Hi Trent, (Sorry I didn't see your name earlier.) But yes, you found our TV pic! Because we did not reinforce that wall, ETI installed ours to the very left edge, into a stud for support. Thus, in this location, when the TV screen is faced outward and is pushed back against the wall, the whole left side of the TV sticks out into the walkway, which was slightly annoying at first. But once I realized I could turn it around to face the wall for storage or travel and not block the walkway, I was a happy camper again. Best of luck with your install. -Bea
Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #5

Yep, your reverse facing tv is a good solution. The quickest and simplest is not to mount it at all, like Ronn did in the next pic. Only thing is, my coax jack is across the aisle, leaving the slack cable to contend with.
Attached Thumbnails
F9B10F12-9DF9-43F0-B170-2DE1D6CD4B53.jpg  
Old 09-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I leave my TV on its pedestal and store it on the bed when traveling.

Since that frees up the VESA mount holes on the back of the TV, a future project is to mount a small Raspberry Pi computer there and use the TV as its monitor.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Hi. Here’s how a 21” Vizio TV is mounted in my 2017 17B. The guys in Chilliwack mounted to a stud (no walls are reinforced) when we picked it up; they just wanted to confirm the location before installing.
At first I thought I’d have to remove it from the arm while driving—> royal PIA. Then I found that if I kept the arm straight, tucked the TV behind the valence and then bungied the TV tight up against the arm, looked good.
But then, how to protect the AC thermostat which is right behind the arm? Got some waste foam, made a little box which fits right over it, all’s good. Totally stable with zero problems over quite a distance on Rough roads. I just tighten the arm’s hinges once a year.
Jonathan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	50733

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	50734

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	50735

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	50736
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Trent, (Sorry I didn't see your name earlier.) But yes, you found our TV pic! Because we did not reinforce that wall, ETI installed ours to the very left edge, into a stud for support. Thus, in this location, when the TV screen is faced outward and is pushed back against the wall, the whole left side of the TV sticks out into the walkway, which was slightly annoying at first. But once I realized I could turn it around to face the wall for storage or travel and not block the walkway, I was a happy camper again. Best of luck with your install. -Bea
Hi Bea Escape originally installed ours too. It was going to fall off with screws loosening that was suppose to hold it . I redid ours by adding oak and a shelf and moved and changed the heater control ( the old one to digital) . That was over 6 years ago and hasn’t moved . But still when traveling remove the tv just in case . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Bea Escape originally installed ours too. It was going to fall off with screws loosening that was suppose to hold it . I redid ours by adding oak and a shelf and moved and changed the heater control ( the old one to digital) . That was over 6 years ago and hasn’t moved . But still when traveling remove the tv just in case . Pat
Hi Pat!! Yup, I can see how those screws could come loose over time. Ours seem rock solid but adding some additional support is wise. Luckily, our thermostat is located on the dinette side...thankful for that now. We used to always remove the TV and throw it on the bed for travel, too, but creating a permanent home for it sure works better for us now.

Jonathan, nice TV set up in your 17b. I'm sure other 17b'ers will follow suit!

-Bea
Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Pat!! Yup, I can see how those screws could come loose over time. Ours seem rock solid but adding some additional support is wise. Luckily, our thermostat is located on the dinette side...thankful for that now. We used to always remove the TV and throw it on the bed for travel, too, but creating a permanent home for it sure works better for us now.

Jonathan, nice TV set up in your 17b. I'm sure other 17b'ers will follow suit!

-Bea
Our tv is a 22 in . Just keep a watch on the attachment like you are and you should be fine . Wish we could have it hanging too and sometimes just hang it up to get it out of the way as long as not traveling . Pat
Old 09-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our tv is a 22 in . Just keep a watch on the attachment like you are and you should be fine . Wish we could have it hanging too and sometimes just hang it up to get it out of the way as long as not traveling . Pat
Bea just remembered a piece of that I think they used to call it pot metal broke off if you got the Escape one. Pat
Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a seldom used term, pot metal........https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
Old 10-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Hello Bea I am trying to decide on what TV mount and Tv to order for the E21C I have on order. You solution (photo posted by Rrgramps) looks like it will work for me. I would like to be able to swing the tv out far enough to be watched from the driver's side dinette seat. Is that possible with you tv and mount?
May I ask what size ( diagonal) and make is your tv?
Is that Escape's stock mount?

Thanks I really appreciate your help.
Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Hello Bea I am trying to decide on what TV mount and Tv to order for the E21C I have on order. You solution (photo posted by Rrgramps) looks like it will work for me. I would like to be able to swing the tv out far enough to be watched from the driver's side dinette seat. Is that possible with you tv and mount?

Thanks I really appreciate your help.
Jim A.
Hello Jim, The TV we got is a 22-inch SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV with HDMI Input and AC/DC Compatible for RVs. We like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-SC...3644562&sr=8-1

And yes, we have the Escape stock mount, and it swings out well into the aisle so that it can be viewed from the drivers side dinette.

We also use this strap with just one screw on the right hand side for storage/travel. Buckle it around the TV mount and it holds the TV snug to the wall against some reflectix or whatever protective barrier you have.

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-America...645151&sr=8-10

I find this nut driver useful - handy to tighten or losen the TV mount as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Congrats on your new E21C! Hope this helps. -Bea
Old 10-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I would like to be able to swing the tv out far enough to be watched from the driver's side dinette seat. Is that possible with you tv and mount?
24" TV as seen from drivers side dinette.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PC270007_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Bea, Thanks for including all of the information about the TV and mount.
Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #17
Bea

Quote:
Bea, Thanks for including all of the information about the TV and mount.
Jim A.
My pleasure! Enjoy the hunt! -Bea