Televisions With 12V Input - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also have a little portable DVD player we have hooked up to watch a DVD . The Sony wireless for sound . Still like all the components seperate .If you get Escape to cable wire in dinette area and bed area , you can put your TV where you want . The other day what was posted for TV , having 2 hangers would take care of that . Looks to be what Escape gave us , but that one had 2 hangers . Arms fold up nicely when not in use . Pat ps oven is very nice to have .
I have an external DVD player for my laptop I can use. Along with movies and shows downloaded to my laptop, and a bunch of borrowed DVDs, we should be good for quite a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's not offered by Amazon.ca, so I assume that you meant Amazon.com (UN24H400).
The included accessories listed do not include a power adapter ("brick"), so my guess would be direct 120V AC input.

I checked Samsung's website: 24" HD Flat TV H4000 Series 4 The owner's manual doesn't mention plugging in an external power supply, and shows a rear panel with what looks like one of the common two-pin AC power cords (not a coaxial or DIN connector as typically used for DC power). Since this model is offered in 28" as well, my guess is that it is too large to follow Samsung's "small TV" power supply design.
I saw them yesterday, and they definitely are 120V only. I saw the 720p model at bestbuy, and it had the best image display of all the smaller TV's. Though none of the smaller TVs sound was very impressive, this one was not too bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #22

I stopped at Costco and Walmart, both a waste of time, as Costco had but one small TV in the store, a 19" that had a 19V DC input. Walmart had the two in the store, but none on display.

I am starting to think that maybe just using a wee inverter might be the way to go. Way more selection. The Samsung with a max 36W draw should not draw down the battery too bad. I would just disconnect the inverter when not in use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Jim, if you're willing to go 19" instead of 22, they do have the Samsung 19" available on Amazon.ca.

14V input, which would work with DC.

There's a 24" Samsung as well, but I can't find what the input voltage is. Our Samsung 22" is also 14V and works with the DC adapter/12V socket.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00BCG...o8L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Jim, if you're willing to go 19" instead of 22, they do have the Samsung 19" available on Amazon.ca.

14V input, which would work with DC.

There's a 24" Samsung as well, but I can't find what the input voltage is. Our Samsung 22" is also 14V and works with the DC adapter/12V socket.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00BCG...o8L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I really would like to go 22-24".

The 19" is sold at amazon.ca for $220 CAD plus shipping (no Prime), but is not on Samsung's site, so I am guessing it is discontinued.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I really would like to go 22-24".

The 19" is sold at amazon.ca for $220 CAD plus shipping (no Prime), but is not on Samsung's site, so I am guessing it is discontinued.
I plan on buying the Skyworth 22 inch from Roadtruckers.com see link. Only $199.00
Roadtruckers does a 12 volt tv review comparison as well and the Skyworth came out on top.

22" Skyworth LED 12 Volt TV DVD Combo SLC2221A
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I have an external DVD player for my laptop I can use. Along with movies and shows downloaded to my laptop, and a bunch of borrowed DVDs, we should be good for quite a while.

I saw them yesterday, and they definitely are 120V only. I saw the 720p model at bestbuy, and it had the best image display of all the smaller TV's. Though none of the smaller TVs sound was very impressive, this one was not too bad.
You are good to go as far as DVD's .Sound isn't great even with large TV's . Have ours hooked up to Amp at home , sounds like a movie theater . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
I have Majestic 12 volt tv with built in cv player. Have it mounted by refer works good, Majestic tv are designed for marine use.
Lorry & Rich
Lorry & Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorry & Rich View Post
I have Majestic 12 volt tv with built in cv player. Have it mounted by refer works good, Majestic tv are designed for marine use.
Lorry & Rich
Those things are fantastic on a yacht, because they have a tri-tuner that can pick up Pacific or European satellite channels, as well as the conventional ATSC North American tuner. Add to that their corrosion resistant components, and a 3 year international warranty. Probably overkill though for my humble 19 that can't leave North American shores. Maybe if I add a rudder and a prop?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Those things are fantastic on a yacht, because they have a tri-tuner that can pick up Pacific or European satellite channels, as well as the conventional ATSC North American tuner. Add to that their corrosion resistant components, and a 3 year international warranty. Probably overkill though for my humble 19 that can't leave North American shores. Maybe if I add a rudder and a prop?
I agree with that, they look great but at over twice the price not in my price range. I looked at them before and I think the 21.5 inch was over $500. By the way what does Trailer stand for?? I know BOAT stands for "Bring out another thousand" Maybe Trailer stands for something like that. It seems that way sometimes. My truck engine is broke so we just spent $36,000 for a new Tacoma (be here next week) Hmm TRAILER must stand for something.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
We bought a Samsung 24" (LT24E310ND/ZA) that is kind of hard to find online but it's frequently listed as a monitor. The Samsung repair centre thinks it's a monitor. We purchased it at Costco in Oregon. After carefully checking the polarity I clipped the end and installed a 12V plug (really nice job btw), rechecked the polarity and promptly fried the electronics. At the time the trailer was plugged in so the outlets in the trailer were reading something like 13.7 volts. Not far off the spec'd 14.something volts. I rechecked the polarity, I had my son (electrician) check the polarity. Not sure what went wrong. I had it repaired and re-connected the transformer. Not taking anymore chances.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
We bought a Samsung 24" (LT24E310ND/ZA) that is kind of hard to find online but it's frequently listed as a monitor. The Samsung repair centre thinks it's a monitor. We purchased it at Costco in Oregon. After carefully checking the polarity I clipped the end and installed a 12V plug (really nice job btw), rechecked the polarity and promptly fried the electronics. At the time the trailer was plugged in so the outlets in the trailer were reading something like 13.7 volts. Not far off the spec'd 14.something volts. I rechecked the polarity, I had my son (electrician) check the polarity. Not sure what went wrong. I had it repaired and re-connected the transformer. Not taking anymore chances.
Seeing I will be in the US this weekend, I do have the option of picking up a TV there. Had not considered that.

What is the advantage of this unit being a TV/monitor combo? I play movies and shows at home all the time with my big TV from my laptop, why couldn't any TV work the same as this one. I do like the price, even with the conversion cost at $119 USD.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What is the advantage of this unit being a TV/monitor combo? I play movies and shows at home all the time with my big TV from my laptop, why couldn't any TV work the same as this one.
A television is just a monitor plus a tuner. The difference between a dual-purpose device and just a TV has been the inputs; a monitor would have RGB, then later VGA, then even later DVI inputs, while "just a TV" wouldn't have any of those. Now that all TVs have HDMI input and laptops often have HDMI output - and converters between HDMI and DVI are available - there is little difference. Many people never watch over-the-air broadcasts, so their "televisions" are really just monitors with multiple HDMI inputs and audio capability... the tuner that makes it a TV doesn't matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Btw warranty service on items purchased south and taken home to Canada is painful.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Btw warranty service on items purchased south and taken home to Canada is painful.
Yup. You get to take it back to the US for service.
I wouldn't buy a Nikon in Hong Kong either.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Has anyone considered the newer "smart tv" where the internet is an option with "apps", like netflix and other movie channels. I have them at home and enjoy that option.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A television is just a monitor plus a tuner. The difference between a dual-purpose device and just a TV has been the inputs; a monitor would have RGB, then later VGA, then even later DVI inputs, while "just a TV" wouldn't have any of those. Now that all TVs have HDMI input and laptops often have HDMI output - and converters between HDMI and DVI are available - there is little difference. Many people never watch over-the-air broadcasts, so their "televisions" are really just monitors with multiple HDMI inputs and audio capability... the tuner that makes it a TV doesn't matter.
This was what I was more or less thinking, whereas it might make a bigger difference in a home office setup, where the tuner would just be a bonus to watch TV. In a trailer setup I would definitely use it as a monitor for my smaller screened ultrabook at times. I do have micro HTMI out on it, when creates a nice display. I use it for downloaded shows at home with my 60" Samsung TV, and the picture is fantastic.
Quote:
I will have to look into that before I purchase, though I don't think I have ever had to do warranty work on a TV ever before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. You get to take it back to the US for service.
I wouldn't buy a Nikon in Hong Kong either.
One of my reasons for going Canon once I entered the digital SLR world, I had a US based Nikon point and shoot, and needed warranty. I got it okay, it just took longer as I had to send it back to the US. Ensuring that the warranty is international, like Canon is, can be important.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Has anyone considered the newer "smart tv" where the internet is an option with "apps", like netflix and other movie channels. I have them at home and enjoy that option.
I noticed a difference in watching a Smart TV at home using the app directly for Netflix and watching the same thing in Netflix through a Roku dongle; had a lot of buffering on the same wifi network unless using the Roku access.

Don't know if their formatting for delivery is different, but it certainly made a difference.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Though none of the smaller TVs sound was very impressive, this one was not too bad.
If you have happen to have a stereo nearby you may be able to leverage that for better sound quality. I've taken a line from the audio out (earphone jack) and used it on an auxiliary input to the stereo for very good sound without stressing the small TV speakers. The 19" Insignia TV we have has a setting that allows TV speakers to be set to off, on, or auto (which recognizes when the earphone jack is used and shuts the speakers off).

Quote:
I am starting to think that maybe just using a wee inverter might be the way to go. Way more selection. The Samsung with a max 36W draw should not draw down the battery too bad. I would just disconnect the inverter when not in use.
I have used a small inverter on occasion and it works fairly well. They make 100W ones without a fan now so you don't have to deal with the noise which we all know can be annoying in a small space.

www.amazon.com/Energizer-EN100-Compact-Direct-Inverter/dp/B00VMRHE7C
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I noticed a difference in watching a Smart TV at home using the app directly for Netflix and watching the same thing in Netflix through a Roku dongle; had a lot of buffering on the same wifi network unless using the Roku access.

Don't know if their formatting for delivery is different, but it certainly made a difference.
Also use seperate Roku device at home on our TV since we cut cord years ago. Do know of others having to replace their TV's having ,smart TV . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you have happen to have a stereo nearby you may be able to leverage that for better sound quality. I've taken a line from the audio out (earphone jack) and used it on an auxiliary input to the stereo for very good sound without stressing the small TV speakers. The 19" Insignia TV we have has a setting that allows TV speakers to be set to off, on, or auto (which recognizes when the earphone jack is used and shuts the speakers off).

I have used a small inverter on occasion and it works fairly well. They make 100W ones without a fan now so you don't have to deal with the noise which we all know can be annoying in a small space.

www.amazon.com/Energizer-EN100-Compact-Direct-Inverter/dp/B00VMRHE7C
I do plan to use better speakers. So haven't decided on what to use though.

I also will have to power my laptop when using it to play DVDs or movies on it, as I don't have a 12V charger for it (yet). I have to look around, but I think I should have a 300W inverter I bought but barely used years ago.

Quote:
I will have to look into that before I purchase, though I don't think I have ever had to do warranty work on a TV ever before.
I did a quick check on LG and Samsung, and both seem to offer international warranties