Televison/satellite - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Art

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Televison/satellite

I'm having trouble finding a TV that is both AC/DC that is compatible with Dish satellite. I know there is a RCA, but the reviews were not great with it. The lesser known brands do not have a code for the dish, that I can find. Has anyone been able to make these work?
Also, how well does an AC only TV work with a plug in inverter?
Is the satellite even possible using the inverter?
Thanks for any info.

dDC
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I went the route of getting a Samsung smart TV and using a small 200W inverter. It works great, and will power my laptop at the same time too, did watching movies on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Televison/satellite

Art we have our trailer set up for satellite and just use a plain, ordinary 22" Samsung tv. The dish connects to the satellite box via an extra coaxial cable that Escape installed. I also had a satellite box shelf installed, which turned out perfectly I must say, thanks Reace. I pulled an HDMI cable from the back of the satellite box to the tv. This set up works great.

This is the shelf and satellite box.

The top connector is for the satellite dish and bottom on is for the external cable via the Jack antenna.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Art we have our trailer set up for satellite and just use a plain, ordinary 22" Samsung tv. The dish connects to the satellite box via an extra coaxial cable that Escape installed. I also had a satellite box shelf installed, which turned out perfectly I must say, thanks Reace. I pulled an HDMI cable from the back of the satellite box to the tv. This set up works great.

This is the shelf and satellite box.

The top connector is for the satellite dish and bottom on is for the external cable via the Jack antenna.

Cheers
Doug
The shelf looks great, do you run your satellite and tv on dc or only use it when plugged in? I had ETI run my cable as satellite ready.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I went the route of getting a Samsung smart TV and using a small 200W inverter. It works great, and will power my laptop at the same time too, did watching movies on it.
Is your 200W inverter the plug into a 12v plug or hardwired in?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Is your 200W inverter the plug into a 12v plug or hardwired in?
It is a plug in type. I plan on permanently setting it up to the plugs by the coax outlets, with a switch transfer it to shore power when we have it. I will do this in under the dinette bench, and will likely just install a 12V plug there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Art my tv is ac only so we run on inverter or when we have hook ups.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
Art

My main question I guess is does the tv and satellite work ok with the inverter or is there a lot of interference?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #9

They seem to work fine with the inverter Art. All channels, all the time. The thing I find the most fun is getting the dish locked onto the satellite, sometimes it only take a minute and then there's the other times [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Got the same kind of questions for my soon-to-be-born 17B. Also about how you adapted it to fit the optional arm mount, where you mounted the tv alone (or with arm).

Thanks for tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA - 2016 (the Escape Pod)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Art we have our trailer set up for satellite and just use a plain, ordinary 22" Samsung tv. The dish connects to the satellite box via an extra coaxial cable that Escape installed. I also had a satellite box shelf installed, which turned out perfectly I must say, thanks Reace. I pulled an HDMI cable from the back of the satellite box to the tv. This set up works great....
I totally agree, the shelf looks great. One question... did you install an additional 120V / AC outlet to handle the additional stuff i.e. satellite receiver etc. If so, where?

Second question... do the shelves effect head or shoulder room when sitting at the dinette?

Appreciated.
Campologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
One thing I would caution anyone considering satellite is that the newer Winegard Carryout small dome dishes that automatically find the satellites are now powered through the coax cable AND require quad shielded cable. I had to run new cable in my 5.0TA when my spouse purchased one of them. I would check with Reace if they are using quad shielded cable now and if not, send ETI 25 or 30 feet of it to install the satellite cable.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campologist View Post
I totally agree, the shelf looks great. One question... did you install an additional 120V / AC outlet to handle the additional stuff i.e. satellite receiver etc. If so, where?

Second question... do the shelves effect head or shoulder room when sitting at the dinette?

Appreciated.
Doug's shelf is not over the dinette. It is on the lower side of the cabinet that is to the immediate right hand side of the door upon entering the 5.0TA.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campologist View Post

Appreciated.
Hi: Campologist... We'll be in Orleans Ont. for the first week of June if you need a look at a 5.0TA in use? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

I had asked for additional AC outlets for my wifi setup. Originally sales agreed to put them inside the cabinets. But when the build was reviewed construction supervisor refused. Only locations for additional AC outlets at this time are on the cabinets' outer facings. None inside or on the outside of the bottoms of the over head cabinets.

I just purchased the tv ready option so I got a double outlet on the P/S OH Cabinet facing near the fridge plus will use outlet inside microwave cabinet. It'll work.

Using the Vizio 24" smart tv. Great prices on open boxes now as people are returning them due to fears about surveillance. Now the NSA will know that we occasionally watch fics like Seven Samurai and Breakfast at Tiffany's!��
Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
I had asked for additional AC outlets for my wifi setup. Originally sales agreed to put them inside the cabinets. But when the build was reviewed construction supervisor refused. Only locations for additional AC outlets at this time are on the cabinets' outer facings. None inside or on the outside of the bottoms of the over head cabinets.
That's correct, nothing installed inside or the bottom. As far as I know it's been that way forever. It becomes a DYI if you want something different. I tried to get all the outlets installed on the bottom of the loft cabinets. No go. They'll run wire, but not install.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's correct, nothing installed inside or the bottom. As far as I know it's been that way forever. It becomes a DYI if you want something different. I tried to get all the outlets installed on the bottom of the loft cabinets. No go. They'll run wire, but not install.
ETI did install my antenna outlet on the bottom of the overhead cabinet - wifey didn't want the wire sticking out of the face.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
Site Team

But Charlie, you're talking about a coax connection right? Nothing with electricity or power?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #19

AC outlet position

Gosh, Donna, wish Sales could have told me that there were limitations on where they'd put optional AC outlets on the cabinets in the first place! Still, it was a good exercise for my aging brain to figure out how to work out networking once I knew the limitations.

But it's possible to get the TV outlet, at least, placed on the bottom of the cabinet that would be cool. No hurt asking!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Gosh, Donna, wish Sales could have told me that there were limitations on where they'd put optional AC outlets on the cabinets in the first place!
ETI growing pains? The sales folks are learning too. It would certainly be easier for them if there were no options. That's why this forum is valuable. We know MOST of the answers