Tempermental Furnace (Saga Continues) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I had the same problem with my heater, same symptoms, and a local gentleman who knows Dometic furnaces well found that the electrode that ignited the furnace was cracked and igniting in the wrong place. As a result, the furnace only actually functioned about 1 out of 5 times it turned on. this was after the replacement of the sail switch and lots of other problem solving calisthenics.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #22
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but...my Dometic furnace worked perfectly up to the point where the propane tank ran out. No big deal, right? Turn off empty tank, switch selector to other tank, open other tank inlet and that should be it, right? Well everything (ok, mostly refrigerator and cooktop) performs as expected; but neither the furnace nor the hot water heater seems to be getting any gas.
I'm inclined to believe that there's air in the propane line which is keeping the furnace from igniting. The water has been recalcitrant from Day 1, so that's anybody's guess...but may stem from the same air-in-the line condition.
The Dometic thermostat info only says that if the blower comes on but the heater does not ignite, try lighting an appliance down-stream. I'm not sure which way the stream runs, but as mentioned, fridge and cooktop are right as rain.
What say you, experienced Escapees?
Thanks,
Jon and Jena from AZ, currently in WA
Turn both tanks on when using propane. It will draw from the tank that the selector is pointed to until it is empty and will automatically switch to the second tank. This way you never introduce air into the propane system by running the first tank empty. There is a color indicator on the center pressure regulator that will turn red from green when the tank that has the selector pointed to it is empty. It will continue to draw from the second tank as long as the valve is open and it has propane. You do not need to switch the selector to the second tank for it to work after the first is emptied. I check my regulator each time I turn on my propane to see if I have gone red. I use a small round mirror to check the indictor as it can not be seen when the tank cover is on. If it is red I know it is time to fill the tank that the indicator is pointed to. When the first tank is filled I will switch the selector to the second tank. The indicator will change to green and the second tank will become the primary source until it empties.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Thank you Brooks. I have ordered a new control board (Dinosaur) from Amazon. That's an interesting observation about water. I did see a small amount of water puddles in the furnace access area and sopped it up with a paper towel. I will try the hair drier trick. I'm also thinking there needs to be a rain gutter above the opening. Researching. I will give you a call after I get the new circuit board. Thanks.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #24

Finally got an email back from Escape. They are saying I need to take it to a Dometic repair place for diagnostics and repair. Not many choices here in Alaska. I'm going to try to replace the circuit board. If that doesn't work, I'll call around and see if someone in these parts is Dometic-certified and will do the work.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #25

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
Try cleaning the ignitor. The ignitor also doubles as the flame sensor. If there is a bit of soot or dirt on it, it won’t sense the flame and will shut the furnace down after 3 tries (according to posts I’ve read elsewhere).
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21C
sail switch

I had the same problem from day one, got tired of responses or non-responses from escape so bought and replaced the sail switch, has worked fine ever since. I first tried cleaning the switch, but that didn't help, was just an internally faulty switch.
Coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Turn both tanks on when using propane. It will draw from the tank that the selector is pointed to until it is empty and will automatically switch to the second tank. This way you never introduce air into the propane system by running the first tank empty.
Don't think that there's too much danger of introducing air into the system. I operate from one tank at a time. I'll manually switch when the time comes. I've never, in 40 years of using propane, had a problem doing this.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #28

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Smile

I just can't resist - Ron, have you had the pleasure yet of going outside at 1am to switch tanks in the dark, cold, and downpour wearing skivvies and slippers?

Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #29

I just knew someone wouldn't be able to resist saying that.

Actually, we've been using propane for so long that we have a sixth sense of when we're running low on a tank. And to be truthful, if it was the middle of Winter and we were heading South and stopping at Rogue River with snow on the ground I'd probably just open up the new tank. Never had to do that though.

Hey, I'm a guy that has two 12V batteries, isolated by a battery selector switch. I like redundant isolated systems.

Ron
Old 08-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have yet had the pleasure of refilling my propane tanks, something to look forward to. Just returned from tag and title services, $2400+ in fees (includes sales tax @ 6%) payable to DMV
Now I need a drink, she said technically I cannot use the trailer until I receive in the mail my paperwork, but who would know?
Old 08-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #31

Oh, that's so painful. I am still trying to get the furnace operating and trying all suggestions short of getting into the gas valve. Still no luck. Dustin says to go to a certified Dometic dealer. I guess I will be making calls. So far I tried: Multiple starts, cleaning sail switch, removing inside grill and duct work, drying outside compartment with a hair dryer, prepping propane, checking to see if there was a gas smell coming from the outside compaertment, checking for loose wires, putting the trailer on shore power. What am I forgetting? Ah, ordered a new circuit board from Dinosaur for $120. Escape would not provide, even though the Reese video said they would. I guess that's no longer an option for a 3-month-old trailer under the new ownership. Heck, after waiting a week for Gina in post sales to get back to me, I emailed Karl. That got the problem to Dustin who now says I must go to a certified repair shop. And I've already heard how that usually goes. But I'll give it a try. I'm out of ideas. Oh, and I bought a Buddy heater. I did get a deal on registering and tagging the trailer here in Alaska. $55. And a permanent tag because I'm old. Got to love Alaska. Not Dometic furnaces.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #32

I did get a deal on registering and tagging the trailer here in Alaska. $55. And a permanent tag because I'm old. Got to love Alaska. Not Dometic furnaces.
Wow, that is a bargain, I just wrote a check for close to $2400 today to register my new E19....
Old 08-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #33

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I just can't resist - Ron, have you had the pleasure yet of going outside at 1am to switch tanks in the dark, cold, and downpour wearing skivvies and slippers?

Bob
A couple of decades ago, after running out of LP in the middle of the night because our tanks were empty, I decided it's better to go "outside at 1am to switch tanks in the dark, cold, and downpour wearing skivvies and slippers" than to freeze at night. Can't even begin to estimate the number of times I've gone outside in rain or snow to change to a new tank, but I only am only in miserable weather for a few seconds, versus a ruined night and the next day looking for LP gas. We're all different and looking at the regulator for red just doesn't work for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Both tanks on, only one tank on at a time.... you'll never convince the one camp to change to the other camp.

Why not just get good monitors and let THOSE determine when you need to purchase more propane?

I know I don't want to get cold and wet even for one second and the idea of running out of propane in the middle of the night is just as bad.

This solves BOTH problems: https://www.mopeka.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Have you tried adding a slight bend to your sail switch paddle? Once you do that try to get fingers in to spin blower fan if you have access to ensure paddle is clearing when operating. Then give it a go.

I have a 2017 E19 with an Atwood and thought I finally got ours fixed after 1 of the new switches I tried seemed to generate success. When I put in the 1st new switch it didn't even work! The furnace again went in to repetitive cycling of trying to stay lit. In my case it carried on even after 3 tries. I finally bent the paddle on sail switch to catch more air and now it lights 1st time. Fingers crossed for me with next long trip coming up.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

you'll never convince the one camp to change to the other camp.
If you made a list of Escape items that applies to it would be a long list.

Ron
Old 08-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I run with both tanks on. In my front box is my 11lb tank that I use for my camp stove, campfire in a can and small Weber. It will easily get me through the night if I had to hook it up. Before I head out I make sure all both main tanks are full. I have four other tanks in my shop, a couple of full ones in the shed at all times. I use partials that come off the trailer for my full sized Weber grill, my camp chef 60,000 btu single burner that I use to cook my sweet corn in a 24 quart pot and for my Red Dragon weed burner. Can’t have too much propane when it’s a ten mile trip to town to get an empty tank filled. I have an adapter hose for my little buddy heater for the deer stand so I can fall asleep in my office chair in my shirtsleeves in December. When I get home it’s usually “Nope, nothing moving today.” She doesn’t realize I’m including my comatose self.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #38

I used to carry those 1 lb propane cylinders for the Blackstone, but now Escape is installing propane hookups gratis on the passenger side. So it looks like I'll be using my on board system for the Blackstone, and here I thought I would never have to refill....
Old 08-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim
I had trouble with those one pounders leaking if you took them off the appliance after they were used a little bit. I bought a two pack of brass caps to put on them after they were opened and it helped. I had a partially used gift card riding around with me for about three years and finally used it to buy an 11 lb refillable tank. I can do several camp outs with it before it needs refilled. When I know it’s low from the frost line I use it up on the campfire in a can on the last night out. Then get it refilled when I get home. It’s my backup for the twin twenties on the tongue. I like it. We have a quick connect on the trailer that I’ve used a few times but not often.
It did work nice one rainy night in the Black Hills at Pactola Reservoir under the awning for the
Campfire. Had a couple folks stop by to look at the setup that night. Like everything else, the price of those cylinders keeps going up. My daughter has a rechargeable camp lantern that she lives. No battery replacement hassle and can be recharged going down the road in the car with the little inverter she has.
Iowa Dave
A new word that I invented this week
Garlicopia
Attached Thumbnails
C0C1D5D1-F55F-4106-9551-C695E1A1BC49.jpg  
Old 08-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
I had trouble with those one pounders leaking if you took them off the appliance after they were used a little bit.
Garlicopia
My earliest memory of those 1lb. tanks was my father running through the basement with one shooting flames like a flame thrower. Must have been some sort of detonation ignition. I always remember that when I detach a torch.

I had a 100lb. tank that I was trying to empty so for several years I'd refill them. But some do slowly leak and the big tank is finished so I don't bother refilling small tanks now.

Ron