Temporary fencing for dogs? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Temporary fencing for dogs?

I just finished ordering a 21C and am very excited about it! I will be camping with dogs. I’m wondering what others who camp with dogs are using to confine their dogs at campsites. I’d prefer some type of fencing over tethering them to a rope. Besides exercise pens, has anyone found or devised an easily portable and light weight temporary fencing system to use as an enclosure?
trackingtervs@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I've considered lots of alternatives. The plastic fencing is really bulky to carry (lighter by a little but bulkier by a lot.) I read once about someone using sheep fencing (not electrified but the dogs knew it could be) but that requires putting poles in the ground. I carry 4 24" ex pens (I have corgis that do not jump on fences) and put them all the way around my 15 so the dogs can rest under it, too. If I had bigger dogs I probably would fence a smaller space due to the taller and heavier pens.

Some people use those portable collapsible canvas pens but they are really small.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtervs@gmail.com View Post
I just finished ordering a 21C and am very excited about it! I will be camping with dogs. I’m wondering what others who camp with dogs are using to confine their dogs at campsites. I’d prefer some type of fencing over tethering them to a rope. Besides exercise pens, has anyone found or devised an easily portable and light weight temporary fencing system to use as an enclosure?
If they are invisible fence trained, it's really easy to run a transmitter wire on the surface of the ground around the circumference of your campsite.

Just walk them around the edge of the site so they can learn where the 'invisible fence' is or at least that there is one there.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #4

Thank you both for your thoughts about this. My dogs are larger (Belgian Tervuren) and would need large exercise pens. I’m trying to avoid them due to their weight and the space that they take up during travel. If I had small dogs, I would definitely use the ones that you are using for your Corgi’s. My dogs are not trained to an underground fence, so that won’t work, but it is a good suggestion!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #5

I used to use a trolley cable line- put one line up high, run several dogs on attached trolley lines. But now some campgrounds won't let you hang them on trees. One end could be on the trailer. I quit doing it because I had a dog who liked playing cats cradle with his cable and he could tangle himself and anyone else in a couple of minutes. (i once saw him try to go through the straps of someone's backpack that was lying on the ground.) He could also easily escape from the expen but he didn't do it unless I left. (In which case he went into a crate.). But anyway a wire trolley might work well for two if they aren't compelled to weave around each other.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
So I know you are looking for other ideas then exercise pens but that what I use. Yes they are heavier to store but I feel more secure using them. I open them up one end at the front of my door extend it out and other end at the back of the trailer. I can let my dogs out and not have to worry about them escaping
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
So I know you are looking for other ideas then exercise pens but that what I use. Yes they are heavier to store but I feel more secure using them. I open them up one end at the front of my door extend it out and other end at the back of the trailer. I can let my dogs out and not have to worry about them escaping
What do you do under the trailer (or to keep them from going under?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We have 2 standard size goldendoodles and use the 2’ high black metal fence that links sections together. We travel with 8 sections and set it up next to the trailer with our camp chairs inside. Next to keeps dogs from under the trailer and it is right there. They stay put but we don’t leave them alone other than if we are inside cooking or eating for short periods, having the fence gives them a ‘yard’ to hang out in and watch the goings on. We feed them inside the fence unless the weather is bad. The system works well for us.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
What do you do under the trailer (or to keep them from going under?
If I could ever figure out how to post pictures on this site, I’m sure it’s just me. I have a 19 and two labradoodles 35 and 29 pounds. I pull the run at the back to the trailer where the space is small enough they can get out, same at the front.under the stairs I have a plastic section cut to fit under the stairs to impede all escape artists
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:10 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
If I could ever figure out how to post pictures on this site, I’m sure it’s just me.
JAMMAN's writeup.

REALLY detailed picture posting instructions
1) Scroll to bottom of thread and click Black button = Post Reply
2) Type desired text in box
3) Scroll down to "Additional Options" header, "Attach Files" sub header and click grey button = Manage Attachments.
4) A pop-up window should open - if it doesn't change your browser to allow popups for at least this site.
5) In the pop-up "Upload File from your Computer" click first gray button = "Browse..."
6) Windows Explorer should open - navigate to the desired file and double click it.
7) In the pop-up you should see the file name beside the "Browse..." button.
8 ) Repeat for up to 3 more "Browse..." buttons.
9) Click gray button = Upload in the lower right corner of this section
10) Scroll down a bit in the pop-up window and see files in "Current Attachments" section
11) Scroll back up in the pop-up and repeat steps 5-7 up to 4 more times and then step 9 again. (Max of 8 pictures per post.)
12) If you are getting error messages scroll down in the pop-up to the "Attachment Key" header and look at limits - filesize, width, height for the file types you want to upload. if necessary edit the pictures on your PC to conform.
13) Close the pop-up and return to the original browser window, you should see the file names in the "additional Options" area.
14) Submit your reply.

Here's one with images from GBAGLO.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...otos-6897.html
Old 07-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Dogs

We use a tether system just a few times that he needs it to exercise or else we use a 6 ft leash for walking him a few times a day
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #12

I might try a trial run with tethers at home, but I have a feeling that my dogs might get all tangled together. I may have to resort to exercise pens...

Thanks all!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
https://www.doghook.com

I attached one of these hooks on each end of our trailers back bumper. I only use them while setting up the trailer in a new campsite though.
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtervs@gmail.com View Post
I might try a trial run with tethers at home, but I have a feeling that my dogs might get all tangled together. I may have to resort to exercise pens...

Thanks all!
You could try and train them for an invisible fence type device at home.

We used the buried wire system at home, so when we took our dog to the inlaws we would just lay a wire on the ground and show him the boundary. They now have a distance based device wireless version. It's much more expensive than the wired one, but, they even mention RV use.

PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence for Dogs and Cats – from the Parent Company of INVISIBLE FENCE Brand – Above Ground Electric Pet Fence.

3/4 acre of circular coverage: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
No wire to bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
5 levels of correction: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
Static free re-entry: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
Stay & play collar: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inch
Simple set up: Set up your new wireless fence in just 1-2 hours to give your dog a secure play area
Portable: Take this compact, portable fence with you when you and your dog go camping or travel in your RV (outlet required)
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, fencing