The Micro-Air Easy Start - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The Micro-Air Easy Start

When you're not technically inclined, and I count myself as that, there is still hope. Stubborn curiosity and dogged investigation is a very productive antidote. Stuck sheltering in place is a great incentive but fearless don’t hurt either.

It’s only electricity. You disconnect the power and now it can’t kill you. I tackled the installation of the Easy Start gizmo onto my air conditioner.

Could not make heads or tails from the several u-tube videos on the subject. It could be a vocabulary problem, or personal density. Each one I watched, though, got me closer to seeing. It was, however, the instructions that came with the package that really helped me.

For a few days, though, was still in the woods. When this happens I say to myself, “ only four wires to connect, bub, it ain’t brain surgery.” Finally, able to distill the blur of too much information down to five steps. I wrote them down on a separate piece of paper and got the ladder out.

The results are in. Here’s a new link on u-tube. My video ...installing the Easy Start to the Dometic 11,000s Btu air conditioner....

https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Old 07-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
When you're not technically inclined, and I count myself as that, there is still hope. Stubborn curiosity and dogged investigation is a very productive antidote. Stuck sheltering in place is a great incentive but fearless don’t hurt either.

It’s only electricity. You disconnect the power and now it can’t kill you. I tackled the installation of the Easy Start gizmo onto my air conditioner.

Could not make heads or tails from the several u-tube videos on the subject. It could be a vocabulary problem, or personal density. Each one I watched, though, got me closer to seeing. It was, however, the instructions that came with the package that really helped me.

For a few days, though, was still in the woods. When this happens I say to myself, “ only four wires to connect, bub, it ain’t brain surgery.” Finally, able to distill the blur of too much information down to five steps. I wrote them down on a separate piece of paper and got the ladder out.

The results are in. Here’s a new link on u-tube. My video ...installing the Easy Start to the Dometic 11,000s Btu air conditioner....

Very well done Myron.

A job well done is its own reward and not only did you get exercise you've likely limbered some joints that a trip to the gym would not have accomplished.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks, enjoyed watching it.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks. Much appreciated. Cannot tell a lie: It was more fun making the video.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The only one with doubt about you accomplishing your goal was you .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Why in the world doesn't EasyStart make the wire colors match the existing wires? Red wire to plug in with Red wires. Blue wire to splice in the blue wire. White wire to splice with the white wire. White with a colored stripe to plug into with the white wires on the run capacitor.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Loved your video! You have a talent for making something kind of dry and making it fun. Keep the videos coming!
Mike
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
At my orientation I was told the new Dometic had an 'easier start' built in to it. I noticed a post a bit earlier that The 'easy start' was the fan activating before the compressor.

I noticed that when traveling this week and wondered if that was the easy start. Nice to see it confirmed.

I decided to run from the hurricane that was due to come ashore right on top of us. Didn't really need to but I'll use any excuse to travel in my Escape!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Thanks, Myron, for the posting. Very good!
(You even make the same noises I make when under load).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Why in the world doesn't EasyStart make the wire colors match the existing wires? Red wire to plug in with Red wires. Blue wire to splice in the blue wire. White wire to splice with the white wire. White with a colored stripe to plug into with the white wires on the run capacitor.
Review of the EasyStart ASY-364-X20-IP installation instructions reveals that item is proper for a range of different rooftop RV AC units, not all having the same corresponding wire colors.

Great job and entertaining / informative videos (all of them) Myron! Thanks for sharing your 'WEN saga' and congrats on the outcome
Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Myron, interested to see if you tried or will be trying to use the refrigerator and air conditioning at the same time.

I have a Ryobi 2300 watt. Yesterday I had the air conditioning going and then kicked in my convection microwave (1000 watt), to my surprise it ran both at the same time.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
At my orientation I was told the new Dometic had an 'easier start' built in to it. I noticed a post a bit earlier that The 'easy start' was the fan activating before the compressor.

I noticed that when traveling this week and wondered if that was the easy start. Nice to see it confirmed.

I decided to run from the hurricane that was due to come ashore right on top of us. Didn't really need to but I'll use any excuse to travel in my Escape!
There is a difference between the "Easier Start" built into the newer Dometic air conditioners & the Micro Air Easy Start. The built in system by Dometic separates the start up of the fan with that of the compressor, reducing the starting current load.

The Micro Air Easy Start reduces the start up current for the compressor by turning it on in stages (too many & fast to notice, but enough to reduce the start up load). The surge current can be reduced by as much as 70%, making it more likely that a small generator or inverter can start the AC.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Review of the EasyStart ASY-364-X20-IP installation instructions reveals that item is proper for a range of different rooftop RV AC units, not all having the same corresponding wire colors.
:
Do the colors match any of the units it is compatible with?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #14

You tell them which air conditioner you have and they provide an instruction sheet for guidance on the correct match up of each of their four wires with your unit.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Myron, interested to see if you tried or will be trying to use the refrigerator and air conditioning at the same time.

I have a Ryobi 2300 watt. Yesterday I had the air conditioning going and then kicked in my convection microwave (1000 watt), to my surprise it ran both at the same time.
Just tried that. Turned air on, waited a few minutes, then turn fridge on. They all worked together for about 2-3 minutes. Then, the fridge shut down, (red trouble light blinking,) and so did the ac. Wen now blinking overload. Shut fridge control off, went outside and hit reset button on Wen and the ac came back on.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Another 'operational' question, Myron .... If you have the WEN set for 'Eco mode', will it ramp-up RPM on it's own timely to allow the AC with MicroAir to kick-on and run OK when presented with that load?

This would go to an option of leaving the WEN in quieter / fuel-saving 'Eco mode' at night while still getting AC when its compressor needs to cycle.

With apology if you tried that in a video and I missed it.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:16 PM   #17

I've noticed it does seem to do some self-regulating, like when the fan's running and the compressor seems to have cycled off. Can't confirm your question at the moment.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #18

After following Easy Start final instructions to run the ac on and off briefly 5-8 times using shore power, to get it to "learn" my air conditioner, waited a day. Now turned on the Wen to see what happens to it when running the ac. Of course, runs everything great. Compressor kicks in more quickly.

Yes, question is, what about now using the ac on Wen "eco" mode. Considerably quieter but less power. Switched Wen to eco. AC might have paused a tad but, continued to run. (Did not then turn thermostat over to full blast.)

Guess we're as good as ever we need to be.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:

Myron, at the beginning of your video it looks like your WEN 2350 is running the Air Conditioning without the EasyStart is that correct?
Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #20

It would not run on the Wen until I added this.... a special ground plug. AC then worked but only on it's lowest compressor settings. Would overload if you ramped up the cold. Probably could live with that but... since I had already ordered the EasyStart...

PS: See "Generators for a 21 Classic," post #12 by Vermilye
Attached Thumbnails
WenPlug.jpg